Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Interestingly, Baptists and Catholics haven't always had the alliance they do today. Baptists see Catholicism as a cult and not true Christians. Today, Baptists and Catholics are allies in the fight against abortion. However, most people advocating for doing away with separation of church and state and making this a "Christian nation" are under the assumption that in doing so, fundamentalist Baptist theology would prevail as the official doctrine we would run our country by.

What if separation of church and state were abolished, but Catholicism became the prevailing religion promoted by the government? What if students were taught to pray to saints in the public schools and say the rosary? What if "Bible reading" required in schools included the Catholic apocrypha, books that Baptists don't believe should even be in the Bible? Baptists see these practices as heretical. What if the Pope somehow came to have the same influence on our politics that Franklin Graham and Pat Robertson do? I am sure if this came to pass, they would soon be supporting separation of church and state again, like the SBC did prior to Jerry Falwell.

Thoughts?
I have no dog in this fight (not Christian), but I'll bring the popcorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 12:52 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Interestingly, Baptists and Catholics haven't always had the alliance they do today. Baptists see Catholicism as a cult and not true Christians. Today, Baptists and Catholics are allies in the fight against abortion. However, most people advocating for doing away with separation of church and state and making this a "Christian nation" are under the assumption that in doing so, fundamentalist Baptist theology would prevail as the official doctrine we would run our country by.

What if separation of church and state were abolished, but Catholicism became the prevailing religion promoted by the government? What if students were taught to pray to saints in the public schools and say the rosary? What if "Bible reading" required in schools included the Catholic apocrypha, books that Baptists don't believe should even be in the Bible? Baptists see these practices as heretical. What if the Pope somehow came to have the same influence on our politics that Franklin Graham and Pat Robertson do? I am sure if this came to pass, they would soon be supporting separation of church and state again, like the SBC did prior to Jerry Falwell.

Thoughts?
Lots of countries are such, and it doesn't make any difference.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:54 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have no dog in this fight (not Christian), but I'll bring the popcorn.
Word. This just has the potential to create a great list of people to ignore.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:23 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
If 'we' made America a Catholic nation, we'd pretty much be Iran.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:26 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
No. I don't think so.

The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

I think intention is everything, I do believe children can be exposed to different world religions at very young age. So if a public school teacher wants to display bible verse on her desk, I see no problem with it. I certainly don't view it as a "separation of church and state" issue.

I also believe a muslim teacher should have all the freedom carrying a Koran with him or her.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:27 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Better than making this country "southern Baptist".

Old 12-01-2016, 02:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Answer to the OP, unless it is their religion that is top dog, religious leaders will have an issue.
And there you have it.

The founders punted on religion for VERY GOOD reasons.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:35 PM

500 posts, read 319,142 times
Quote:

What if separation of church and state were abolished, butpromoted by the government? What if students were taught to pray to saints in the public schools an Catholicism became the prevailing religion d say the rosary? What if "Bible reading" required in schools included the Catholic apocrypha, books that Baptists don't believe should even be in the Bible? Baptists see these practices as heretical. What if the Pope somehow came to have the same influence on our politics that Franklin Graham and Pat Robertson do? I am sure if this came to pass, they would soon be supporting separation of church and state again, like the SBC did prior to Jerry Falwell.

Thoughts?
WHAT????????????? It would be open season on little boys.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
As a Catholic, I would be opposed to enforced religion. If people don't have an honest conviction, they shouldn't feel obligated to belong to a relligion. I would rather be a part of a small Catholic Church of all devout believers than be a citizen of a nominal Catholic country in which most people are just doing the motions for fear of being persecuted.

And I think most Catholics feel the same way, even the bishops and the Pope.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:47 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Thoughts?
That was already tried in Italy and parts of Europe in centuries past, with mixed results, then it sort of faded away.

Ultimately, governments are made of people, groups of individual human beings, not ideologies, even institutions. To put it another way, ideologies and institutions are only as good as the people who act in their name.

Who, among human beings, is good? And who is the judge?

At any rate, or perhaps because of that, once an ideology becomes a governing principal in society, it sort of loses its meaning, doesn't it? There are so many examples that one could cite, all over the globe and across time for thousands of years.

Ultimately, then, things such as religion and other ideologies are best left to individual conscience (Retroit puts it well above), while societies are best organized under the principals of rule of law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies