Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
The problem with taking any job while looking for a job in your field is that it contaminates your resume. If you've been working at Starbucks as a barista after graduating with a Biology degree last year, you've pre-screened yourself to recruiters as someone who couldn't get an entry-level Biologist job. They'd rather interview the one of the hundreds of resumes of graduating seniors this year.
I disagree. My daughter graduated in 2009 with a biology degree. She took a job at a day care center b/c 2009 was a crappy time to graduate from college with any degree. It hasn't hurt her career; today she is working as a reasearcher at the University of Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:51 AM

89,239 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're correct, Penn State is much the same.
Yep. Heinz even actively recruits engineers from Purdue when they have Penn State right in their own backyard.

Quote:
Here's your problem, not everyone can be an engineer. Not everyone can do non-engineering STEM for that matter. Start looking at the typical high school and then college and see when most people fall by the wayside in Math. The pool gets smaller as time in school goes on.

Nursing is, or was, hot for awhile. Not everyone can do that coursework.
I fully understand that. The question is WHY are many millennials expecting high salaries if they're only qualified for low to mediocre paying jobs? They're being completely unrealistic. No one cares if you went $50,000 into student loan debt to get a BA in Folklore from a big name school. It was a foolish decision.

Quote:
Also remember that half the population has a below average IQ. Many of those people historically were slopped up as laborers in one field or another. Many of those jobs are either gone or have been automated.

That happened in the steel industry. US companies are melting more steel than they ever did, although most of it is recycled, with maybe 15% or so of the historical work force. Same with coal, labor intensive is gone for the most part.
Well, that's why having tens of millions of illegal aliens in the U.S. is such a problem. It's just a fact of life that the half of the population with below average IQs are going to only be qualified for low-income jobs, which the illegals have infiltrated.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
The problem with taking any job while looking for a job in your field is that it contaminates your resume. If you've been working at Starbucks as a barista after graduating with a Biology degree last year, you've pre-screened yourself to recruiters as someone who couldn't get an entry-level Biologist job. They'd rather interview the one of the hundreds of resumes of graduating seniors this year.
Here's where planning actually matters... Working on getting a marketable degree? You should ALREADY be working in your field as an intern, lab assistant, research assistant, department lackey, whatever, in your field BEFORE you even graduate.

I even know of a kid who earned that dreaded Sociology degree that we all love to laugh at, but it was a BS rather than a BA (meaning the kid had taken many more science and math classes than required for a BA), and landed a job right after graduation because the kid had WORKED on campus for student groups and the Sociology department for which the kid actually accumulated field-specific work experience.

It boggles the mind that so many think earning a degree, even a marketable one, is just plug and chug and the job fairy magically gives you a $75,000 job when you collect the sheepskin.

PLAN -> EXECUTE -> CLEAN UP in the job market.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 AM

10,250 posts, read 6,343,445 times
Quote:
It's all about EXPERIENCE. A paying job in your field? Can you say Internships while you are still in school? The Software company, where my now retired husband worked, hires Interns over the Summer months. They are all IT majors. That cannot be put on a resume as working/experience in your field?

Then there is what is known as Life Experience. Ever hear of college credits for that? Same applies to work experience. I went back to college in my 40's while raising my own children. Got a part time job in their school cafeteria. I heard through word of mouth, and a lot of encouragement, that the school was looking to hire a Special Ed Para. The degree I had was not in Education but I applied anyway. Got the job. Besides "networking", it was a matter of Life Experience since I was raising and living with 24/7 two special needs kids of my own. Only work experience matters? Honestly, I found that field far more rewarding than what my degree was in, and went into that field instead.

I suppose what I am saying is that you have to get "creative". There isn't any one solution. Explore ALL other methods. It won't be handed to you. You need to "work" at it and explore all paths to achieving your goals. I do truly feel for the Millenials in today's society, but perhaps this is where they might need an older Mentor to help show them the ropes. "Teach" your children well.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:55 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,076,848 times
It may just be me and my 'group'. I never personally, nor my wife, nor any friends that I recall begrudged, blamed or thought ill of our parents, the greatest generation. For anything.

In 1986, when Congress passed and Pres Reagan signed the law raising the full SS retirement age to 66, (born 1943-1960) graduating to 67, for those born 1960 and later, we just accepted that it was necessary to support the solvency of SS program.

No grumbling, no trolling, no nothing.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It's all about EXPERIENCE. A paying job in your field? Can you say Internships while you are still in school?

[snip]

I suppose what I am saying is that you have to get "creative". There isn't any one solution. Explore ALL other methods. It won't be handed to you. You need to "work" at it and explore all paths to achieving your goals. I do truly feel for the Millenials in today's society, but perhaps this is where they might need an older Mentor to help show them the ropes. "Teach" your children well.
Exactly! I pretty much said EXACTLY the same thing!

Old 12-05-2016, 11:16 AM

39,280 posts, read 27,677,316 times
well, common sense tells me that people who are able to make fun of themselves are the easiest to get along with. These are the people with high self esteem and confidence.

You don't want to be grumpy old men or angry young men/women. lol

Old 12-05-2016, 11:20 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Quote:
They don't even need to tell anyone that they're working at Starbucks. They can simply leave it off their resume and state that they've moved to the large city following graduation, to look for work.

The most important piece of advice I give those still in school is to try as hard as they can to get a job in their field while still in school. When they graduate they'll be competing with other graduates who have two years of experience.

I just want to add that some Millennials are finding it difficult to get a job because they've job hopped so many times employers don't want to train someone and get them through a nine month learning curve, only to lose them in eighteen months. They claim it's not a problem and they're still getting jobs, but eventually that can catch up to them because it's a pattern few hiring managers are going to accept.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:31 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Here's where planning actually matters... Working on getting a marketable degree? You should ALREADY be working in your field as an intern, lab assistant, research assistant, department lackey, whatever, in your field BEFORE you even graduate.

I even know of a kid who earned that dreaded Sociology degree that we all love to laugh at, but it was a BS rather than a BA (meaning the kid had taken many more science and math classes than required for a BA), and landed a job right after graduation because the kid had WORKED on campus for student groups and the Sociology department for which the kid actually accumulated field-specific work experience.

It boggles the mind that so many think earning a degree, even a marketable one, is just plug and chug and the job fairy magically gives you a $75,000 job when you collect the sheepskin.

PLAN -> EXECUTE -> CLEAN UP in the job market.

I just posted before reading this post of yours, but I can't stress the bolded enough. This will make a huge difference coming out of school.

And it may be difficult to find that job, you may have to work as an intern without pay for a few months, but if it leads to a paying job, take it. Find someone who is working in their field and planning to leave the state and is graduating this year and contact that company now, months before graduation. And keep emailing them once a month to ask if any positions have become available so you're on their radar screen. Join a business club or frat and get to know the seniors, what their degrees are in, and where they work, and that will be a start.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I just posted before reading this post of yours, but I can't stress the bolded enough. This will make a huge difference coming out of school.

And it may be difficult to find that job, you may have to work as an intern without pay for a few months, but if it leads to a paying job, take it. Find someone who is working in their field and planning to leave the state and is graduating this year and contact that company now, months before graduation. And keep emailing them once a month to ask if any positions have become available so you're on their radar screen. Join a business club or frat and get to know the seniors, what their degrees are in, and where they work, and that will be a start.
Yep. Isn't it odd that we both know how it's done but literally millions of college students don't? How does that disconnect even happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies