Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:21 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Landlords will be grateful, because they know that more employment means soaring rents will accelerate even faster. Which means the minimum wage people will be back for more. Because the housing shortage will never be solved.
Oh that's brilliant...leaving the minimum wage at $7.25 for 7 years has done a divine job in keeping rent from increasing, hasn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Ok, so how about from 2008 to 2010 when the Democrats controlled Congress? Why no increase?
The minimum wage was increased in 2009, are we talking about the same thing here?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It's rare to see conservative views in the mainstream in general .
Hollywood and these media companies are mostly owned and operated by liberals.
Maybe the conservative POV just isn't particularly mainstream among artists.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. They're entitled to their own personal points of view.

It's not because liberals bought up the media in an attempt to squash the conservative POV.

It's just because more people who are liberal are drawn to the industry.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
"Liberals not happy" makes me happy. Are they not the most sour bunch of people on the planet?
That's interesting, because I have never once heard a person who identified as liberal or even as independent state that they were made happy by entire groups of other US citizens being unhappy.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
We won. Making liberals happy is not on the "To Do" list. If they get happy because some changes will be good for them -- like a bigger refund at tax time, that's good, but it shouldn't be a goal.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Not that there's anything wrong with that. They're entitled to their own personal points of view.

It's not because liberals bought up the media in an attempt to squash the conservative POV.

But people who can afford tickets to their shows and have enough money to buy their art -- is that not part of what makes things good for them in their professions?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We won. Making liberals happy is not on the "To Do" list. If they get happy because some changes will be good for them -- like a bigger refund at tax time, that's good, but it shouldn't be a goal.
How odd...I have never gloated over an election and then stated that making conservatives happy was not on my "to do"list. I have always hoped that our President and Congress would do the right thing for all people irregardless of their politics, but I'm old, so maybe that is an old fashioned idea and "mean" is in now, I dunno

Old 12-09-2016, 08:55 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why are you so obsessed with saying you won? What did you win? Your elected candidate winning doesn't change your status in society.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 AM

601 posts, read 593,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How odd...I have never gloated over an election and then stated that making conservatives happy was not on my "to do"list. I have always hoped that our President and Congress would do the right thing for all people irregardless of their politics, but I'm old, so maybe that is an old fashioned idea and "mean" is in now, I dunno
Republicans are Party over Country all day.

I'm delighting in the Ann Coulter/Breitbart meltdown. Trump was never serious about immigration. He just wants a wall with his name on it.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Perhaps . But in the current environment if a celebrity comes out in support of Trump they are attacked and it can hurt their business . If they say they support Hillary there is no risk .

I'm sure there are a lot more Trump supporters in Hollywood or that are artists or musicians they just don't want to say anything as they know mainstream media will jump on it and paint them as racist or if they are a minority as "crazy" or an "Uncle Tom "

Kanye west came out and said positive things recently and got locked up in a mental hospital for a week or so .

His wife Kim Kardashian had said something about supporting Trump and was attacked and then she "changed her mind "

She probably figured it wasn't worth it and she didn't want the media attacks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies