Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:42 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
It's okay... i'm sure the only way we can power ourselves is via coal and gas

It's not like we don't have a bunch of people willing to sell it to us. Also helps that we have a port and can ship it in if need be. I'm hoping solar city to take over in the next 5 years.

I didn't lose anything from this election while you have lost everything so far it seems. Dunning Kruger in effect.

Math is everything... i'm sure it won't matter to you since you barely understand it.

Nutty Don convinced this guy that coal is coming back. Amazing

Also good luck living trapped in middle America. I'm sure access to trade is overrated. Perhaps the electronic device you're using will last the next 10 years while your group rolls backwards into the stone age.
"I'm hoping solar city to take over in the next 5 years."

Keep on hoping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 07:17 AM

1,850 posts, read 820,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Once they retire in the North they realize the can't AFFORD to live there any longer and move South.
It's not even cost of living. For example, New Jersey teachers famously retire and then flee with their pension money to other states. Why? Because otherwise they'd be obligated to support all the other pensions in New Jersey. Liberals hate their own policies and love their money.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:37 AM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I'm hoping solar city to take over in the next 5 years."

Keep on hoping.
I think I have a higher chance than Nutty Don giving you a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It will not, let's test those math skills shall we? Let's assume that the cost to generate electric from a solar installation can compete with the cost to generate electric from fossil fuel plant over their lifetimes. e.g. it cost 3 cents per Kwh over 30 years for the solar and 3 cents per kWh for the coal plant over 60 years, these are all costs inclusive and everything is equal. This is far from the current reality but that is what we will assume.

Here is the scenario; it's 0 degrees out in the Northeast, cloudy, no wind, utilities are hitting record peak demand at 7AM and it's going to be like that for the next two weeks. This is not an implausible scenario. Any idea the capacity and storage to meet that demand?

For example suppose you have one good day of sun and your single solar panel can meet the demand during the day at the same cost as coal. What are you going to do for the next 16 hours? Your capacity requirements just tripled, that by itself is now costing you 9 cents per kWh and you also need the storage which introduces it's own expenses and inefficiencies.

The capacity and storage requirements balloon out of control, this is why wind and solar will not replace fossil fuels.

------
FYI you mentioned Solar City. That company is only in business because of three things. The federal tax credit,state credits and the all important REC. That is why they have limited areas they service. Most of the product they install was made in China, we are effectively subsidizing Chinese companies with US tax dollars.

So you're argument assumes that solar will at best compete with gas. I don't believe this true. Elon Musk is promising home solar generation to be cheaper and more effective than oil/gas. This isn't a guarantee but I don't mind waiting for it and pursuing his home solar power kit (powerwall, solar shingles). We can also always go nuclear or create wind farms to combine it with solar.

Elon Musk is directly tackling the costs of converting to solar and making it affordable. Keep in mind... not all of us view 3000-5000 dollar startup costs a huge hit to our wallet. With financing i'm sure a large portion of homeowners wouldn't mind converting if SHTF.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Not true,otherwise they would stay out of gay marriage and women's wombs.
And they'd legalize marijuana and end the war on drugs. Follow the money trail.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
All the blue dots of evil, would starve to death, if not for the sea of red.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:14 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Conservatives act like they are these rugged individualists when they are just as dependent on the government as everyone else. Farming is one of the most heavily regulated/subsidized industries in the country and would completely collapse without constant government intervention.
You might be too young to remember how government intervention in farming started.

It started with government dictating to farmers what they could and couldn't do and where they could and couldn't plant. To make it acceptable to farmers, who, without the ability to farm ALL their land, would starve, the government subsidized them. Farmers most definitely did NOT want government intervention, but it was forced on them.

/now you know.

And yes, I'm old enough to know exactly it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then people should move to the heart of fly over country, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas and see how people at the bottom of the totem pole are doing with live and let live, and do your own thing at the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.
Based on your user ID and the fact that you constantly complain in the Oklahoma forum, you live in Oklahoma. Feel free to leave. Thank you.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:02 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But have you been to any of these flyover states ?
Appalachia how I love you so! When I took trips to vacation destinations like Cancun or D.R. I thank God when I returned home to Appalachia and the blessings he has bestowed.
I have been to the Dominican Republic and believe you me they are poorer than the welfare kings we have here why us hillbillies live ten thousand times better than they do...sad fact is they are the second biggest economy in the Caribbean Haiti on the other half is so Africanized poor...
People make most of flyover country as ignorant babymakers on the gobbermint welfare tit...

Old 12-10-2016, 09:13 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
MyNameIsBella is right about the gobbermint dictating to farmers what they could grow on their own farms be it large or small my wife's grandfather grew or raised about everything even drove a school bus to subsidize his own living.Slowly prices fell on poultry-dairy cattle pork where prices to keep livestock soared cash crops like tobacco were restricted fields under used farm equipment to damn high inheritance taxes ... life suxs then you pay taxes and die.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:16 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
I think I have a higher chance than Nutty Don giving you a job.

So you're argument assumes that solar will at best compete with gas. I don't believe this true. Elon Musk is promising home solar generation to be cheaper and more effective than oil/gas. This isn't a guarantee but I don't mind waiting for it and pursuing his home solar power kit (powerwall, solar shingles). We can also always go nuclear or create wind farms to combine it with solar.

Elon Musk is directly tackling the costs of converting to solar and making it affordable. Keep in mind... not all of us view 3000-5000 dollar startup costs a huge hit to our wallet. With financing i'm sure a large portion of homeowners wouldn't mind converting if SHTF.
"I think I have a higher chance than Nutty Don giving you a job"

Being I am retired, I am not looking for one but, with my construction experience I AM qualified, are you?

Throwing juvenile name calling insults doesn't get anywhere with me.

If you can't be civil, I will discontinue trying to having and adult conversation with you.

"So you're argument assumes that solar will at best compete with gas"

Don't "ASSUME" anything.

I am all for alternate energy sources, including nuclear power plants, and hope one day solar and wind will be available on a big enough scaled to be viable.

Until then, we have to continue using current energy products.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 12-10-2016 at 10:24 AM..

Old 12-10-2016, 11:19 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Incorrect, Maine is a coastal state and has amongst the lowest crime of any state in the US.
Meh, no one counts northern New England in any of these extremist view debates. No one considers coastal states also contain rural areas. Or that small country towns can be suburbs.

The state of Vermont is totally white but no one calls it racist because its so liberal. Low population states don't count, or are not supposed to, so even if you have a very high measurable quality of life in some places, it doesn't really matter, might as well sweep them up in with flyover country as insignificant. Only major cities and farmland count when you can only see in black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies