Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 05:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,773,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaPA View Post
Eh, I don't want older folks screwed over, people have paid into a long time and should get something out of it. But there needs to be a shift so that people my age (under 40) are not counting on this, the money isn't going to be there unless things change. What that solution is, I don't know, but being able to keep the money I'm dumping into this program to invest it in something with a better return would be the most practical.
If you want to donate your hard earned money to seniors that protested against anyone getting health coverage but themselves, that's your choice but it appears seniors are huge Trump supporters and absolutely deserve to lose their Social Security benefits. They voted for it, they should live the results of their vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 05:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,016,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The problem with SS is not old age pensions, it is disability payments.
I've said this before on CD, but the comment keeps getting run over and ignored. I'll say it once more, sure it will get buried again.

The fact is, the amounts the U.S. government pays out for SS based on what we put in when we worked is NOTHING compared with the billions of dollars we pay out to corporations each year (you know the term "corporate welfare") whether these corporations declare that they "need it" or not. No one is raising an eyebrow about that, it never comes up. Just the same-old about how ordinary working citizens are bankrupting the country. Anyone see a larger design here?

Old 12-11-2016, 05:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,239,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Sure, let's just let those old people starve to death.....it will speed up the process of getting rid of them !
Old people won't be starving to death. Clearly you didn't bother reading the Bill.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,016,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaPA View Post
Let me know when as a citizen in a free country I can opt-out of this ponzi scheme and actually use that money that's not going to be there when I retire to actually invest and help myself and family down the road. I hope no one in my generation (X) is actually counting on this "nest egg" to be there.
I believe you can opt out if you are self employed like my CPA brother in law who's stacking up millions from his earnings to fund his own retirement. I don't know about those working for companies that get automatic deductions from their pay.

3,637 posts, read 1,708,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Old people won't be starving to death. Clearly you didn't bother reading the Bill.
No, I was just commenting on your position that if people didn't prepare for retirement, it was 100% their own fault.

6,822 posts, read 6,658,719 times
Quote:
Sure, let's just let those old people starve to death.....it will speed up the process of getting rid of them !

Nice that you can put away enough for retirement, but a very good percentage of this country lives paycheck to paycheck. For some, it is simply impossible to save, you can't save what you do not have.

Better watch what you wish on others, God has a funny way of teaching us humility. All it takes is one serious setback or illness in a person's life, and poof, there goes that little nest egg you were saving for retirement. I've seen a lot of people like you in my life, high on the mountain one day, and down in the gutter the next.
So the issue is and has been getting the American public TO SAVE and TO INVEST!

It is about strengthening the hand of the private sector so people CAN put money in their retirement not living paycheck to paycheck.

This is what the liberal ideology doesn't get. They can't see past what is directly in front of them.

In their mind, the answer is expanding social programs and entitlements. "Insurance" should be just for what you stated. When you're high one day in life and down in the gutter the next.

It's not the GOVERNMENTS Job to provide for your retirement and healthcare.

But the damage is done and we've seen if for years.

Younger generations have none of these social programs to look forward to. The ridiculous costs of living, college tuition rates, poor skilled wages, etc. add to all of this paying for everyone else's retirement and healthcare while we struggle to pay for a doctors bill for our own health because we don't have insurance.

The younger generations don't stand a chance in today's economic climate. The liberal's idea is to tax them more.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:11 PM

1,850 posts, read 824,614 times
Notice how it's OK to claim that anyone who wants to reform liberal policies will kill people, but I can't write what should happen to people who make those claims? Just saying.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:13 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,923,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
This country has a debt approaching $20 trillion. Something needs to be done. Drastic measures.
You should probably focus on all of the useless wars and military spending first.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:15 PM

45,320 posts, read 26,588,564 times
Quote:

Nice that you can put away enough for retirement, but a very good percentage of this country lives paycheck to paycheck. For some, it is simply impossible to save, you can't save what you do not have.

Better watch what you wish on others, God has a funny way of teaching us humility. All it takes is one serious setback or illness in a person's life, and poof, there goes that little nest egg you were saving for retirement. I've seen a lot of people like you in my life, high on the mountain one day, and down in the gutter the next.
Funny you would mention God in defense of a Ponzi scheme funded by theft

Old 12-11-2016, 06:20 PM

39,131 posts, read 51,428,209 times
It is not necessary to fix both medicare and social security. Just go to the discount coupon system Ryan proposes making medical care unaffordable for most seniors and social security will take care of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies