Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 08:57 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

It's a poorly-constructed paper. It is fraught with grammatical errors and it's not a proper analysis of any sort of fact.

I think a D was quite generous in this case. Perhaps your nephew could ask to rewrite it, taking into account the professor's feedback, and get a better grade?

I can tell you that the grade had nothing to do with "liberal bias."

That's a gross oversimplification of the teaching profession.

If it helps, I have a master's degree in English. I'm trying to reassure you here.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:58 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Op, I hope you are not giving ALL cultural conservatives a bad name.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:58 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Despite alluding to many things, it was vague and not fact filled enough. At the very least, especially after all the fake news stuff, the young people of this nation should be urged and taught how to fact check and distill the important and pertinent details from current events and all of the peripheral noise that bombards the public via the media and how to incorporate facts into their writing.

Bottom line...IMO...the paper was too generalized and not specific enough. Depending upon what the teacher was looking for when the assignment was given would be the best way to determine the grade so until that is known, I do not know how the paper should have been assessed for grading. And yes, the grade level of the student would have a certain degree of relevance regarding what should have been expected of the paper. The thread title does specify "professor" so we can assume that your nephew is in a university and this paper is not up to par for that level.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 12-16-2016 at 09:20 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 08:59 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
This essay should have received an F if it was written by a university student.

Last edited by Drewjdeg; 12-16-2016 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Geezers; just look at this example of what you're presently dealing with in today's America and consider what state the country has reached if this is representative of typical thinking.

An uncle thinks his nephew, a senior in high school, is being treated unfairly because he was given a poor grade on a paper.

In the title we see not just one over-emotive illogical conclusion drawn, but at least three distinct attempts to influence your thinking along some stupid, politically biased avenue.

"Liberal professor", "thought police", "damned" all frothed out with the intent to garner head nodding from those like minded dummies that would agree automatically with this boob the professor just has to be a capital "L" Liberal used as a pejorative, that the professor is a member of a scurrilous bunch known as "thought police" rather than just an educator charged with stimulating thought processes in young minds and finally the kid is "damned" for having received a poor grade on a simple paper.

This silliness has become so pervasive in American daily discourse that having a normal conversation now is interspersed with this "victimology" of one segment of American populace constantly whining about another segment raining on their personal parade.

"Making America Great" again being just another catch phrase when considered in context of a society that cannot perform any introspective thinking whatsoever. How can you even consider America being "great" if it's people are all busily blaming each other over stupid crappola like a kid getting a bad grade on a paper in high school.

Last edited by BruSan; 12-16-2016 at 09:52 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 09:02 AM

1,194 posts, read 726,641 times
Quote:
Op, I hope you are not giving ALL cultural conservatives a bad name.
Hope not...lol

Old 12-16-2016, 09:07 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
There is one major reason why I feel Donald Trump came out on top and will be the next president of the United States. The biggest reason is that voters do not feel that they can trust Hillary in such a powerful position.

The reason Trump won that I am going to discuss is that people did not feel that they could trust Hillary and what she was doing.
Somewhere in this hot mess of words is your nephew's thesis statement. Can you find it?

For future reference, a good thesis statement has the following qualities: specific, clear, unified, brief, visible, argumentative, relevant, and interesting. Please pass this information along to your nephew.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:08 AM

937 posts, read 927,698 times
That was a D paper.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:08 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Look - the paper sucked. Come out of your "safe space," stop whining about librul conspiracies, and take some responsibility, buttercup.
This is it in a nutshell. All this seeking of a generic boogyman under the bed is unbecoming of those who profess to be individualists and independent thinkers.

The kid performed poorly at a high school level writing assignment and it morphs into stupid "liberal" this or "thought police" that childish ranting.

It would seem a sizable segment of American society were denied the opportunity to fulfill a necessary maturity function before being given their "adult" license.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
My professors in college would have given me an F on that paper. It's pitiful...really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies