Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times

Advertisements

The paper is a 'D'. The problem is mostly in the title of this thread. "Thought Police" not an issue nor is "Lib Professor", just poor work. Maybe he can get further guidance if he is not traumatized by a bad grade. Get over it and do better next time...worse things can happen and will before he is done with school.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:00 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatandFlat View Post
What grade, 6th or 7th?
Yes, I could condense it down to the people gave the establishment the middle finger. They gave the middle finger because they didn't like the direction the country was going.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:07 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
hmmm...Interesting I wonder if i had instead said "Nephew Got A "D" From A Conservative Professor-Typical Conservative Thought Police If You Don't Agree With Their Beliefs Your Damned"what the critique would have been.
It would have been the same. Again, its not the subject matter. Its the grammar, structure, lack of supporting evidence, no citations...nothing. The kid's lucky he got a D on that mess.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It is their business to educate people who can support their opinions with logic, fact, and rigorous research. And, even better, to educate people to support an opinion they do *not* hold with logic, fact, and rigorous research. I assume many of the students in the class do not support Trump and still had to explain why he won the election. The professor did not ask who the student voted for - they asked to explain why Trump won. The professor should have had *no idea* who his students *actually* voted for if they completed the assignment on a college level.

The OP's nephew failed to accomplish even a high school caliber level of research and analysis, and did it with poor grammar and ill thought out structure besides. And it was his choice to make it abundantly clear that he supported Trump.
Yes!

Old 12-16-2016, 12:14 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
That paper may have been "D" level but this thread has been "A+" level in the comedic entertainment it has provided me - so thanks op!

Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe it is community college. A lot of students could not write better than this.

Prof doesn't seem too disappointed - adequate; needs some polishing - thats it? Then give him a C, otherwise provide him his money's worth and critique it properly.
I'm shocked that there are college students out there who write worse than this one does.

If I wrote this poorly as a college freshman, I likely wouldn't have made it past the fall semester. My professors were harsh graders. Very harsh.

I knew only one person in college whose writing was worse than this. Fortunately for him, he was an engineering major and didn't have to write too many essays. He barely passed those classes, too. (Straight As in science/math though.)

Wonder if the OP's nephew is an engineering major?

Old 12-16-2016, 12:20 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yes, I could condense it down to the people gave the establishment the middle finger. They gave the middle finger because they didn't like the direction the country was going.
I guess having a middle finger sticking out makes it difficult to type a coherent paper.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:22 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Wouldn't that then make you a liar?

Did you write that essay yourself and decide to pass it as your "nephew's"?
I had he same thought

Old 12-16-2016, 12:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
OP, just a thought you'll hopefully find worthy of some consideration. As long as you hold the position you do, your nephew won't feel responsible for that grade, his next paper will look like this one, and he's likely to get a similar grade.

You have a wealth of information in this thread with both parents and educators weighing in. Why not use the information here to help your nephew and tell him what he can work on the next time around, instead of holding firm to your position? In the end, it's not going to be helpful to him to blame his teacher for this grade.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:33 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
OP, just a thought you'll hopefully find worthy of some consideration. As long as you hold the position you do, your nephew won't feel responsible for that grade, his next paper will look like this one, and he's likely to get a similar grade.

You have a wealth of information in this thread with both parents and educators weighing in. Why not use the information here to help your nephew and tell him what he can work on the next time around, instead of holding firm to your position? In the end, it's not going to be helpful to him to blame his teacher for this grade.
^This. It will help him in the long run for life. Especially since he is only 18. We need smart conservatives to carry the message forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies