Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 09:50 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,568,924 times

Advertisements

Most urban cores are kept alive by government spending. Try pulling the plug on federal money going to city governments, universities, medicaid and welfare programs for a few months and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 10:14 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,819,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Most urban cores are kept alive by government spending. Try pulling the plug on federal money going to city governments, universities, medicaid and welfare programs for a few months and see what happens.
Speaking of.... if government pulls the funding for sanctuary cities we may get to see what happens.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:54 PM

241 posts, read 222,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
That's absolutely untrue. Metropolitan and Blue cities on average receive less federal funding because they tax more locally and state wide and raise their own funding. The Top 10 cities and Top 10 states that receive federal money other than New Mexico are all solidly red with the lowest GDP's. Some red states like Louisiana and Mississippi make the overwhelming majority of their state's revenue from 1 or 2 metropolitans that actual progressively tax their residents and have stimulated economic growth.

State Tax Revenues: Charts and Data

The Sources of State and Local Tax Revenues | Tax Foundation

Old 12-19-2016, 03:29 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,506,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
In many ways, I think the enormous geographic size of the US is more a curse than a blessing. There's so much mostly-unused space between the coasts that makes it very expensive to travel among them and certainly to have meaningful long distance public transportation. It also makes social benefits and even essential services much harder to scale.

Sure, there's some agriculture grown in flyover country, but not in the majority of it.
Actually, I love the wide open spaces and small towns. You can have your hustle-bustle but I prefer the quiet. And, the space is not unused: farming, ranching, wildlife preserves, national forests, national parks, BLM Land for hiking and camping, etc.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:11 AM

19,042 posts, read 14,285,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Well, I guess those that live in small isolated towns could make money mowing each other's yards.
Why are people fixated on MONEY?

Money is not prosperity - it's not even real.
It only has value if there are others who WANT IT.

Reality mode:
Prosperity is based on production, equitable trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services.
Those things rely on people's labor, amplified by tools, multiplied by powered machines.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:16 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,371,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Why are people fixated on MONEY?

Money is not prosperity - it's not even real.
It only has value if there are others who WANT IT.

Reality mode:
Prosperity is based on production, equitable trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services.
Those things rely on people's labor, amplified by tools, multiplied by powered machines.
For everyone it most certainly is not all about money. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting this but I have no desire to travel the world. There is so much around me to still see.

I can be to three major metropolitan areas in less than 3 hours when I want that. (one being my hometown). As it is, the slower, low cost of living area I live in now suits me well.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,243,199 times
Since the 1960's my county's population has quadrupled. Almost all of that increase has come from the metropolitan areas escaping the high cost of city life and wanting a better place to live and raise their families. Of course, Monroe County PA has one of the longest commutes in the Nation.

The point I am trying to make is that not everybody is happy with city life. Many do seek the peace and quite of small towns and sometimes they make small towns 'cities' in the process!

Old 12-19-2016, 06:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,693,203 times
It's funny, but the right wing bias now makes sense here, I guess they should rename the site Rural-Data lol

Old 12-19-2016, 06:55 AM

152 posts, read 99,742 times
The problem is not the small town way of life per se. Yes, industries move out but historically have been replaced by new opportunities. My relatively small town in MA was once the jewelry manufacturing hub of the world (our police station was once the Josten's factory). The jewelry industry (save for one factory) is long gone from here, but has been replaced by more high-tech manufacturing. We also have many residents who commute to Boston, Providence and smaller cities for work. But we still have a reason to exist; many people are more than willing to work in a city but prefer living in a close, tight-knit community--which Americans have always valued.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:54 AM

7,192 posts, read 4,786,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Tell that to the US military, look at the high rates of military enlistment from small towns and masculinist places like the south and the west. These guys and gals grow up hunting,fishing and outdoors and know how to handle a gun. small town and rural america is one of the last bastions of masculinity in america. I just cant imagine america building a military with metrosexual leftie urban hipsters from portland, seattle,Berkeley, brooklyn,college towns all around this country etc who are just so effeminate

I also dont agree that all small towns are dying, many wealthy people and professionals move to smaller places to retire, less traffic and crime, better quality of life etc.

You remind me of one of my supervisors in the Air Force who told me there should not be women in the military. He was a "hunter", and he could kill. I told him I was a pissed off woman and I could kill. It so happens I was a marksman with an M-16 and he wasn't.

You need to get out more. Go to the Bronx, Chicago, East St Louis, Oakland, or Los Angeles and check out their marksmanship, especially at night.

Troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies