Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 04:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The Republicans need 51 Senate votes to pass measures with a simple majority and for confirmations when reconciliation is used. The Vice-President gets to vote, only when there's a tie. That means if two republican senators are in opposition and no democrats can be recruited, nothing passes.
yes this is true as long as everything goes to the senate floor for an up or down vote. however there are procedures in the senate that require 60 votes to bring a measure to the floor. cloture requires 60 votes, breaking a filibuster requires 60 votes, or those that called the filibuster decide to end it.

and by the way. if two republicans oppose something, that means there is in fact a tie since the republicans hold a 52/48 advantage, and that means that pence casts the deciding vote, or as al gore once said, every time i vote as vice president we win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 04:45 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Democrats are going to face a brutal map in 2018..... 33 Senate seats will be in play. Of those 33, only 8 are held by Republicans. Democrats will be defending 25 seats (2 are independents who caucus with Democrats). Worse is the fact that many of the seats they must defend are in states won by Trump. Trump lost the electoral college votes of only 1 of the 8 states where Republican senators are up for re-election in 2018

Joe Manchin, Democrat from WV will probably win re-election in 2018, he is a conservative Democrat with populist instincts. Far left Democrats will have a harder time. Heck, I even like him.
Yes many seats up for grabs but then there is the Trump factor. Many of those states that he carried, coal country, rust belt and others are going to have tough time defending if he doesn't come through on his many, many, many large promises.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:48 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Trump does have a filibuster proof Senate because the Dems changed the rules to the nuclear option in 2013. Majority rules.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Trump does have a filibuster proof Senate because the Dems changed the rules to the nuclear option in 2013. Majority rules.
Only on Federal Court appointments (not SCOTUS}and I believe cabinet appointments, nothing else.

I didn't want the rules changed but there was a good reason.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Only on Federal Court appointments (not SCOTUS}and I believe cabinet appointments, nothing else.

My understanding is it only takes a majority of the senators voting to pass any bill, 51 votes, from my civics class decades ago. The Republicans have a majority of 52 in the Senate. And the nuclear option, passed by the democrats, may be used for cabinet appoints so Trump's cabinet appointments are likely a slam dunk. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:23 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Are you sure he didn't have "Medicaid", not Medicare?

With Medicaid, everything is paid for by the tax payer and you don't have to shop. While with Medicare you have to shop at minimal for part D and we have to pay co-pays and the premium is deducted from each months social security check. As explained above if you aren't poor enough to qualify for Medicaid, you get Medicare and can opt to shop for a Medicare Advantage plan.

Natalie, before debating, you really need to learn the difference between Medicare and Medicaid. The middle class is heading for a train wreck while the poor will be taken care of better than the middle class even though the middle class pay for it while they worked.
Most likely her father had a Medicare Advantage Plan.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
My understanding is it only takes a majority of the senators voting to pass any bill, 51 votes, from my civics class decades ago. The Republicans have a majority of 52 in the Senate. And the nuclear option, passed by the democrats, may be used for cabinet appoints so Trump's cabinet appointments are likely a slam dunk. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
to break a filibuster it still takes 60 votes, for most items. you can filibuster presidential appointments, but the nuclear option can be used there to break a filibuster. if a bill comes before the senate floor it requires 60 votes to break a filibuster, and it requires 60 votes for cloture to bring the bill to the senate floor for an up or down vote.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
to break a filibuster it still takes 60 votes, for most items. you can filibuster presidential appointments, but the nuclear option can be used there to break a filibuster. if a bill comes before the senate floor it requires 60 votes to break a filibuster, and it requires 60 votes for cloture to bring the bill to the senate floor for an up or down vote.
Would you provide a source? Thanks.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
You stated flatly that he has a filibuster proof senate, that is not true in general as I stated. Ending a Filibuster has nothing to do with a majority vote to pass a bill, why are you bringing that up.

Yes his cabinet appointments could be approved by a simple majority but you are making the assumption that every republican senator will vote their approval. That premise may not work out quite that way, some democrats crossed over to the other side then they had the majority. I can see a rather rocky road for some of his appointments,

Old 12-17-2016, 05:36 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

The Senate can change its rules by majority vote. The 60-votes to end a filibuster was a tradition. Reid decided to end the tradition for certain votes. The R's can do the same thing.

For the D's who complain because they had a 'good' reason, I say boohoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies