Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:12 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You might want to rethink that. Many private religious colleges and universities require one or more religion course credits to graduate.

Georgetown University, for example:
https://bulletin.georgetown.edu/Acad...onRequirements
The University system was founded by the Catholic Church in the 11th century. At the onset ALL universities were Catholic.

To this day many Catholic parochial schools have a large number of non-Catholic students and they are there because the parents want the education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 09:17 AM

858 posts, read 707,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Here are two examples that speak to my last point. My youngest is highly gifted and is bored to tears since he 'got it' the first time, yet the class has to go over the material another two or three times because there's a different approach. My second-youngest has difficulties with spatial relationships. He understands that 5X5 is the same as 5+5+5+5+5, but then he has to draw arrays and ends up with a lower grade than he would have had otherwise. That, in turn, is a blow to his self esteem; already an issue because he's aware that he has a 'learning disability'. Having multiple ways to show how to solve a problem is fine, but forcing it on all kids regardless of whether it helps or hurts is not in anyone's interest.

The best teachers are trying to find ways around much of this, but their hands are tied in a lot of ways because they're expected to prep the kids for the be-all, end-all standardized tests, which are even more heavily relied upon with Common Core. I got into an argument with my daughter's 7th grade math teacher because she'd given my daughter a zero on an assignment for having solved the problems "the wrong way" (teacher's words). It wasn't at all clear from the instructions how the work was to be done, and aside from one problem, my daughter had them all correct. How is that helping? How on earth does that make for a better student? The teacher's response was 'it will help her on the standardized test'. Ugh. Getting angry all over again.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Some kids can just get it. I was a whiz with math..show me once and I got it. Numbers fit together like puzzle pieces and addition, multiplication, fractions just made sense. My wife is a teacher so i've seen common core examples and it is flat out stupid. Sure it may help some lower kids but there needs to be more emphasis on the answer and whether the result is correct. If some kids need to do an array, fine but if some can do it the traditional way or god forbid, in their head then let them do it. Common core does not seem flexible enough for the variety of students that exist.

And i've heard the arguments that it may seem stupid now but it will help later. again...for some. I went through all the maths, AP Calculus and an engineering school doing physics and thermodynamics. I did not need arrays to figure out numbers and it's stupid to fail me or any other student who doesn't do it.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:17 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
Democrats have run Detoilet for what, 60 years?

100% of the failures are theirs and theirs alone.
So freaking true!! A common Democrat party tactic... Screw it up and blame others... That is why the country is in serious trouble.

I use to lean to the Democrat side, since I spent many years living/working in the New York City area. I've seen with my own eyes what that party and its flunkies have done to most, if not all of the larger urban areas of this country. Like many, who are now "neither" a Dem or Rep sinc e both parties are guilty of being in bed with each other and conspire together on issues that help them and the deep pocket friends. Many now will vote for individuals of either party that will put the American people and the country first.

I think that the days of "business as usual" is finally over!!

Old 12-23-2016, 09:29 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The University system was founded by the Catholic Church in the 11th century. At the onset ALL universities were Catholic.

To this day many Catholic parochial schools have a large number of non-Catholic students and they are there because the parents want the education.
I agree. And taxpayer funding in various forms (research grants, scholarships, student aid, etc.) goes to private religious colleges and universities that require theology/religion course credits to earn a degree. So I don't understand the antipathy to having that same standard apply to the K-12 level, as well.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:30 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
I was off by six years, it was 54 years of Dem rule. Damn right I blame the locals; they kept electing Democrats, and got what Democrats do best; destruction.

Neither mayors or city council members run the schools.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Apples and oranges.
You didn't answer the question. And yes, it is quite relevant. I'll wait.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
"A public school system we could be proud of" based on what?
The fact that we used to be a leader in the world when it came to science and technology. The fact that we used to invest in our school systems and allowed teachers the independence to be creative.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:26 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Well, with the Republicans disdain for science, it makes sense. They can teach creationism and eliminate science. Then, they would be better Republicans....
I guess they would say liberals made up the dinosaur thing and the fossils of dinosaurs are fake.
Sure, that's why Detroits school system is so terrible, because of Republicans. Not because of the liberals who have been running the entire city for decades. Did you go to school in Detroit?

Old 12-23-2016, 01:06 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Our daughter started at a public HS and didn't do that well. We put her in a Catholic school and she did much better. We had to pay for the Catholic school and the public school. That isn't fair. Parents should be able to put their kids in the school where they believe they will do best without having to support the school they didn't choose, i.e., school choice.

Now, in Albany the teachers actually have (limited) school choice. They can send their kids to any public school in the district. They complain bitterly when other parents elect charter schools though.

Big picture, generation after generation of children in failing schools have been condemned to limited or failed lives. It is past high time for the citizens of failed schools districts to have the opportunity to send their kids elsewhere.

After decades and decades of doing the same thing, only really crazy people would expect different results from doing it some more.
Sorry, but you pay for a lot of things you don't use. You need to get over it. Imagine if people didn't drive on any roads you use and insisted they not have to fund them.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:14 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A 100K a year student should not cause or destroy the education of other kids. If that is the case the system stinks.

Good students should be given all the opportunity to succeed and should not be penalized by receiving an abysmal education because there are thugs in school or children that have learning disabilities. Think about what you are advocating!!!!!!!!

You are providing two irrational excuses for the worst educational system in the world. Thugs and kids with learning disabilities should not destroy the education process for other children.
You are sounding like a nutcase. We do not have the worst educational system in the world. Plenty of kids come out of public schools and do very well. Kids with learning disabilities need education too, but you probably don't want to pay to outsource those kids for schools they would be better off in so instead you go the cheaper route sticking them in the public schools which lead to disruption. What do you suggest we do with learning disabled and troubled kids? Leave them alone to be more trouble which will eventually effect you? While my kids have run into knuckleheads, it didn't destroy their education. If that is what happened to you or your kids, then stop blaming others. You/they are responsible for becoming educated. If you missed the opportunity (and judging from your statements, you aren't well educated), then do something about it. Trashing a system that works well for others while advocating for a fraudulent system doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies