Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,709 times

Advertisements

I don't think so. The way to stop illegal aliens from taking American jobs is to penalize the companies that hire illegal workers and pay them slave wages under the table. I know this probably sounds absolutely crazy but I don't know why I've never heard this arguement before, all I here is "BUILD A WALL!!!" which is ****ing stupid and will not stop people from coming into the country illegally. Fine the companies that undercut American workers and don't want to pay a fair wage! Am I the only sane person left, or am I just crazy?

Old 12-28-2016, 04:32 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,887,147 times
Employers that hire undocumented workers are already subject to criminal and civil penalties.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Employers that hire undocumented workers are already subject to criminal and civil penalties.
Yes on the books there's laws against it but how often is this enforced? We as Americans also need to do our part and not hire illegals to do side jobs "because they'll work cheap". Is money really all that matters to some people?

Old 12-28-2016, 05:07 PM

711 posts, read 689,363 times
It is enforced to the degree that it's feasible with the way things are set up right now.

Are you willing to fund thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of additional staff to audit and act on payroll and tax forms that contain fraudulent and suspect employee IDs? And payroll issues aside, I've read that PEOTUS "Deportation Force" would require at least 90,000 additional trained and legally authorized personnel.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:52 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,795,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Yes on the books there's laws against it but how often is this enforced? We as Americans also need to do our part and not hire illegals to do side jobs "because they'll work cheap". Is money really all that matters to some people?
I'd love to see some of these people who use illegal workers then find something wrong with the work....Who will they complain too?

Old 12-28-2016, 05:52 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,127,458 times
It's not the illegals that are taking my job. It's the legal ones, H1B visa immigrants, being hired at every Fortune 500 company. They are taking away the 100k jobs for Americans to pay the legal immigrants less. They are taking away middle class jobs.

I don't care about the illegals and their jobs. They are taking the jobs pay crap, even if you are a citizen. Minimum wage doesn't even cover half my expenses and forget about working for tips.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Go STEM.

Illegals aren't typically competing for jobs requiring a lot of education and specialized skill sets.

They usually take up jobs requiring low wage, low skill labor.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,193,389 times
Illegals are not the problem, unless you want to go pick crops. The real problem is the H1B visas. Large companies such as Tata specialize in providing cheap H1B labor to companies by outsourcing. They convince a company to outsource a department such as IT, fire the workers that currently work there (make them train their replacements first), then bring in the company providing the outsourced staff. (Think Disney). All perfectly legal, since the outsourced employees don't technically work for the company that fired the American staff. Happening in all industries- just read hospitals are doing it with doctors since they can get foreigners on the cheap. The H1B is for higher level jobs.

H1B's have to be sponsored, so they can't change jobs freely until they get green cards which takes a few years. These are the middle class jobs that have disappeared and the reason we're becoming a two tier society. Rich and low paid worker. Politicians love to throw people off track by pointing out illegals when they're not the worst of the problem. Kind of scary and I don't see much to change it in the next 4 years.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:54 PM

17,257 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Go STEM.

Illegals aren't typically competing for jobs requiring a lot of education and specialized skill sets.

They usually take up jobs requiring low wage, low skill labor.
Exactly. An illegal is not going to take my job. The biggest concern would be outsourcing, which even then would be a challenge, as many jobs require a physical on site presence.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:58 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,978,748 times
OP, were you in this world for the past 2 years? This subject has been discussed over and over, ad nauseum actually .. and in great part was responsible for the election of Donald Trump in November.

But, don't be fooled .. most of us are not focussing on the wall thing. The wall may be literal or figurative .. it may be built in part or in full or not at all .. whether there is a 'wall' per se is not as important as what the wall represents - and that is a secure border and an end to the large flows of illegals streaming into the US (in other words .. enforcement of existing laws!). But there are many more issues involved there too - reducing the number of illegals here now .. most especially the criminal element .. and what to do with those who remain, vis a vis do they ever get to be citizens, etc. Stay tuned.

H1B visas are also another issue as macrodome says. A wall doesn't figure into the solution for that problem though.

Many things threaten jobs in the US .. it is a complex problem and the solution will also be complex. Some of it can be implemented fairly easily, some of it will take time and a lot of 'negotiating' most likely. I am heartened that someone in a position to help spearhead the 'solutions' is going to be at the helm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies