Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 01:59 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You know damned well that there is no GOP proposal to eliminate SS and Medicare benefits. You can't provide a link to substantiate that because your assertion is a figment of your misinformed imagination.

Word to the wise: stop being so gullible.
BS! You people are the ones advocating for the destruction of SS and Medicare. Like I said, I only need refer to YOUR post advocating it. That's the mindset of the GOP.

If you want proof look at the actions of your idols; Cruz, Rubio, Price. Look at their voting history and philosophy and tell me their end goal is not the elimination of SS and Medicare. It's been the goal of rhe GOP for years and you know it.

You're a big boy you can look it up yourself. Why do you want to engage in a game of charades? Anything I point to would immediately be labled "fake news". I've seen you do it time and again right here on this forum. Thats now your party's way of dodging the issues and denying what you really are.

You are simply parroting the GOP misinformation meant to hide their true goals by putting glossy terms over it like Medicare "reform" or "modernization". Those are thinly veiled attempts at hiding the truth. You know why they want to hide it? Because when people find out the truth they are going to decimate your beloved party. I hate to break it to you but they've already found out and like I said earlier, the battle lines are being drawn as we speak. It's going to be fun to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 02:39 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
amazing the number of people who want to see the top 1% getting even further ahead of the rest

amongst first world developed nations , the usa has far and away the smallest welfare state

Old 12-29-2016, 02:41 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
BS! You people are the ones advocating for the destruction of SS and Medicare. Like I said, I only need refer to YOUR post advocating it. That's the mindset of the GOP.

If you want proof look at the actions of your idols; Cruz, Rubio, Price. Look at their voting history and philosophy and tell me their end goal is not the elimination of SS and Medicare. It's been the goal of rhe GOP for years and you know it.

You're a big boy you can look it up yourself. Why do you want to engage in a game of charades? Anything I point to would immediately be labled "fake news". I've seen you do it time and again right here on this forum. Thats now your party's way of dodging the issues and denying what you really are.

You are simply parroting the GOP misinformation meant to hide their true goals by putting glossy terms over it like Medicare "reform" or "modernization". Those are thinly veiled attempts at hiding the truth. You know why they want to hide it? Because when people find out the truth they are going to decimate your beloved party. I hate to break it to you but they've already found out and like I said earlier, the battle lines are being drawn as we speak. It's going to be fun to watch.

You sound like someone defending a conspiracy cult. Or someone who believes in aliens. Just sayin.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
amazing the number of people who want to see the top 1% getting even further ahead of the rest
The more money Apple makes, the more the 1% of that corporation is going to get ahead of the rest of us; however, that also means that Apple will be providing more good paying jobs, more profit to those with 401ks that include Apple stock and the more Apple vendors that will make money and provide jobs.

Why so much envy and jealousy when lots of people end up better?

Old 12-29-2016, 03:24 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:

You have some sort of Super Secret Decoder Ring that allows you to uncover their "true goals"?

Marco Rubio: 5 ways to fix Social Security:

5 ways Marco Rubio would change Social Security - May. 14, 2014

Nowhere in his plan is there any statement about getting rid of SS.

Getta grip on yerself, junior.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:26 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Yeah they did it when the nation wasn't as populated as it is now. Big difference between now and then.
So, what happens when you increase the population? You get an increase of benefactors as well as those in need do you not? So, as our populations increased, so did the capability to provide for those who were in need.

Maybe you understand this? Or.. maybe you were going to make an argument that claimed that as our population increased, more poor and infirm increased over the number and capacity of those to help?

Do you have ANY real numbers to establish your premise or are you merely talking out of your arse to you know, sound like you care and all?

I mean, I am not asking for anything amazing, just simply a population and earnings analysis compared to the past and that of today to show the comparable valued means of the average person to provide for those in need versus that of those in the past. Nothing big, I am sure you have all this at your finger tips considering you are so adamant about serving the wellbeing of society and all? Right?

Quote:
So we should get rid of government programs and let all the people starve and die because some slip through the cracks regardless? In other words they have to operate perfectly in an imperfect world in order to justify their existence to you?
How about we promote individual liberty and freedom? Too much to ask or do we need to bow to some power because it thinks it knows what is best for everyone?

Quote:
Which left wingers in this country wish to leave the elderly and sick to their own devices? Tell me, I'd like to know. The only people who are actively trying to do that are Trump and his cabinet.
They all do, because they are idiots who don't know their head from their arse and think that they have the best view for ALL, but they are too stupid to realize that their naive and out of touch understanding is not a "one size fits all" solution which is why history shows them killing millions and why society eventually ends up killing their leaders through revolution or chaos. It always comes down to that... you can't fix stupid, but bullets sure do shut it up.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:34 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The more money Apple makes, the more the 1% of that corporation is going to get ahead of the rest of us; however, that also means that Apple will be providing more good paying jobs, more profit to those with 401ks that include Apple stock and the more Apple vendors that will make money and provide jobs.

Why so much envy and jealousy when lots of people end up better?
apple employ thousands in china , what good is that to americans ?

Old 12-29-2016, 03:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
A good part of Medicaid goes to pay for nursing homes for elderly. As you know, nursing homes are very costly. Most of the elderly that are in nursing homes are regular everyday middle class people that worked their entire life. Most had money set aside for retirement but they spent it quickly on the expensive assisting living facilities and then nursing homes. Money gets burned up fast paying for this. Then when they run out of money, they go on Medicaid and the fed government starts paying for the nursing home. They turn over most of their social security check to cover their portion (small amt they can keep for shampoo and such personal items).

People like to picture healthy young people 'living off the government' when they think about poor/welfare. In reality, there are lots of elderly middle class people that are on welfare/medicaid..

There are even upper middle class people on Medicaid, getting the feds to pay their nursing home costs.

Lots of people get attorneys to come up with a plan to give their assets to their family ahead of time so when it's time to go into the nursing home they are considered poor and their money/house/cars gets kept in the family. It's called Spending Down and it's so common that there are attorneys in every area that help people setup their finances so they can keep their assets in the family AND go on medicaid so they don't have to use their money to pay for nursing homes.

Transferring Assets to Qualify for Medicaid | ElderLawAnswers

Spending Down Assets to Qualify for Medicaid | ElderLawAnswers

Safe Ways to Spend Down Your Assets to Qualify for Medicaid | Nolo.com
You are absolutely correct, thank you for saying this. Whenever people attack Medicaid, I wonder if they realize this. Further, Medicare recipients only pay about a third of the benefits they receive. We pay the rest for them.

- Few seniors have actually paid for their Medicare benefits. According to an Urban Institute estimate, the typical retired couple paid $122,000 in lifetime Medicare taxes but can expect to receive benefits worth $387,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.80fd37a75f6e

Old 12-29-2016, 03:42 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:

It will be fun to watch, but a nightmare to unravel.

GOP has been upfront about turning Medicare into a voucher program. Is this a mystery to anyone?

Turning Social Security over to Wall Street has been talked about for awhile. No news there.

Repeal ACA. If you are surprised about this, you've not been paying attention. Over 60 votes on this already.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:44 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
We need safety nets that reward good choices, not bad choices. I'm a huge fan of FDR style safety nets: the Civilian Conservation Core which employs people who are unemployable and teaches them skills while they build their country. Govt. subsidized home loans for hard working people to buy their own home.

Many well meaning people on the Left think that anyone who alleges there is widespread welfare fraud is cold hearted. Both of my parents are from the Welfare Belt of Kentucky and I've seen tons of fraud. In my family people start applying for disability for minor things when they hit 50 so they can have 25 years of retirement paid by other people. One cousin was a big league marijuana grower who owned a new Corvette yet get disability payments for a bad back. City people also know how to work the system. They leave the father's name off the birth certificate when paternity is certain to maximize the amount of welfare without financially crippling the father. My wife has a work friend who is trying to have a third child out of wedlock (not one father is involved in children's' lives) because she would then be considered below poverty level and get more goodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies