Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 06:50 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The hands of the Doomsday Clock are closer to midnight: Doomsday Clock Looms Larger in 2017. Obama has not helped this. From that link I quote: "The closest the Doomsday Clock has ever been to midnight was two minutes in 1953.*At the beginning of 2015, the board moved the minute hand of the Doomsday Clock from five minutes to midnight to three minutes to midnight. It had not been that close to midnight since 1984. In 2016, the board left the minute hand at three minutes to midnight." What Trump does or does not do will determine the direction for this oracle of doom. So far Trump has only argued for negotiation with the Russians which is the more prudent and wise call.

However; Trump could take us to war with North Korea or Iran and that could also lead us to an all out war. On the other hand, if we let these rogue nations (that hate us) continue to build up nuclear stockpiles and develop missile delivery systems; will we not pay the price in the future? I think it will be a tough call and could easily escalate.
Remember one truth. The US Army is able to deal only with third countries. ie whose military capabilities are very weak. This is a fact which everyone knows. USA attack only the weak countries that can not fight back. those whose defense is not effective. (You can to analyze the history of the past 50 years, and weapons, which is in the US Army.) Therefore, North Korea or Iran, the US will never attack.
The only way that remains in the US, this proxy (proxy, ie incite and finance the very lowest strata of society in moral terms) war. such tactics the US and its allies have mastered well.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 01-06-2017 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
If this country makes it to the 20th before this fool destroys this country we should consider ourselves lucky.
If I thought this was anything but part of the political posturing that's gone on since the end of WW II I'd consider myself paranoid.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Remember one truth. The US Army is able to deal only with third countries. ie whose military capabilities are very weak. This is a fact which everyone knows. USA attack only the weak countries that can not fight back. those whose defense is not effective. Therefore, North Korea or Iran, the US will never attack.
With those two nations we might not have any choice - just saying. Since we have no diplomatic ties and there are no negotiations; deeds by either of these could be construed as provocation for war or they might feel it would be their only hope to attack first. It looks like we already might be drawing a line in the sand. Right or wrong only history will tell.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
It would be wise for Trump to find common ground with Russia so that the U.S. has a strong partner in dealing with Third World failed states, terrorism and rogue nations like North Korea and Iran.

The EU -- apart from the UK, which is leaving -- has been a weak partner, playing footsie with Iran (and before that with Iraq under Saddam Hussein) and not pulling its weight for its own defense. Anti-Americanism is rife in Europe as well.

We shouldn't give up on Europe, but we shouldn't just rely on it either.

Apart from some of its bordering countries with ethnic Russian populations, Russia has no aggressive intentions. But it will, of course, take advantage of our weakness -- such as in the Middle East, which much of the world depends on for oil.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:01 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What we shouldn't be in is NATO. It's a Cold War relic and what takes place in those countries is none of our beezwax. Entangling alliances with no one.
We have Russia seizing Crimea, ISIS and other terrorists going nuts, and Syria collapsing and you say NATO is a relic? No buddy, NATO stopped being a relic on 11 September 2001 when the US triggered Article 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Also which two sovereign nations has Russia invaded in the past 9 years?
Are you serious? Weird question coming from a moderator. Georgia 2008 and Ukraine 2014 ring a bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear,

Finland, Lithuania and Poland have been worried about Russia since Medieval times. You might want to study up on some history before attempting to draw such conclusion.
Sure dear, and we don't think there's an imminent threat of an invasion, but the tensions between Russia and Finland are higher than ever since 1944. I think that's quite significant and tells a lot of Putin's attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Russia is Europe's problem.
Wrong. So long as Russia is the world's 2nd largest nuclear power, it's the world's problem. Including the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I didn't realize americas survival was dependent on Lithuanias border? Please elaborate.
It isn't, but a domino effect could be disastrous for the world's stability, and it will be felt in the US as well. Be assured of it.

---

Putin isn't gonna start WWIII, but he is going to continue trying to weaken NATO, EU and US bilateral allies like Japan from the inside. He will continue until someone says "enough is enough". Consider Putin a schoolyard bully.

And as I've said before: power comes with responsibility. As the US is the world's sole superpower and a permanent member on the UN security council, you don't get to sit out. It's not an option. And even if there would be the option to sit out, do you really think that nobody would take your place? Do you want China or Russia to be the world police? I sure hell don't want that.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
It would be wise for Trump to find common ground with Russia so that the U.S. has a strong partner in dealing with Third World failed states, terrorism and rogue nations like North Korea and Iran.

The EU -- apart from the UK, which is leaving -- has been a weak partner, playing footsie with Iran (and before that with Iraq under Saddam Hussein) and not pulling its weight for its own defense. Anti-Americanism is rife in Europe as well.

We shouldn't give up on Europe, but we shouldn't just rely on it either.

Apart from some of its bordering countries with ethnic Russian populations, Russia has no aggressive intentions. But it will, of course, take advantage of our weakness -- such as in the Middle East, which much of the world depends on for oil.
There are other factors to consider when trying to predict the future; like hypersonic missile and jet research: The Problem with the Pentagon's Hypersonic Missile - Defense One. Like Ronald Reagan's Star Wars program; our massive push to enhance our weapons systems can push us close to the brink of war. Of course we can argue that if we don't do it somebody else will. The Russians and Chinese both have their own programs. The net effect could be that the hands of the Doomsday clock continue to approach midnight.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
With those two nations we might not have any choice - just saying. Since we have no diplomatic ties and there are no negotiations; deeds by either of these could be construed as provocation for war or they might feel it would be their only hope to attack first. It looks like we already might be drawing a line in the sand. Right or wrong only history will tell.
You understand that North Korea or Iran has more opportunities to attack Russia than the United States. By virtue of the geographic location. Neither Korea nor Iran has no carrier that can deliver a nuclear warhead to US territory. it is only in China and Russia. for example from my city rocket will fly to anywhere in the US for less than 17 minutes. I'm just at the military base of nuclear submarines at the moment.

If the United States to get rid of the aggressive policy, then all the problems will disappear. But we know that it can not do. For the reason that the US economy keeps on wars and seizure of foreign resources, it has been in US history forever.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
With all the squealing about how Trump is going to usher in a Fourth Reich is it any more far fetched to postulate that Obama would start a war to stay in office? Seems a fair counter to what's being theorized about Trump's intentions. Lol, I should have bought stock in Reynolds. The short tonnage of foil being snapped up out there right now is amazing.

Still, my "danger Will Robinson" alarm is going off. Any more, I'm not discounting anything being possible.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
You understand that North Korea or Iran has more opportunities to attack Russia than the United States. By virtue of the geographic location. Neither Korea nor Iran has no carrier that can deliver a nuclear warhead to US territory. it is only in China and Russia. for example from my city rocket will fly to anywhere in the US for less than 17 minutes. I'm just at the military base of nuclear submarines at the moment.
I understand logistics; I also took military history. I am not good at understanding how mad men think. Leaders sometimes think they are Gods and forget both the will of the people and long term social and economic improvement. They can develop tunnel vision and not get the big picture. North Korea has one of those leaders. Iran has a religious fanatic that hates America. Both should be considered extremely dangerous.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I guess the problem is that Lithuania has the nerve to be so provocatively placed - imagine, bordering Russia, yet acting all independent and deciding for themselves who they wish to ally with.

If they'd just show some proper deference and gratitude for all the money Moscow sank into keeping them safe from themselves, for decades.
Joe Stalin is a well known murderer. He killed Russians and others on the scale that Hitler killed. One of the accounts of his treachery was in Estonia. Stalin using his soldiers went into the Universities and rounded up the students there. They were sent to Siberia and never heard from again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies