Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 05:16 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I can't find a list, but I did find this:

"Trump's decision means the United States could be left without ambassadors in important countries for months. The posts require Senate confirmation."
US ambassador to Canada is first to resign after Trump's demand on diplomats | Public Radio International
Thank you for the link.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:17 PM

1,478 posts, read 789,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In Break With Past, Obama Ambassadors Are Told to Quit Posts by Inauguration Day

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition staff has issued a blanket edict requiring politically appointed ambassadors to leave their overseas posts by Inauguration Day, according to several American diplomats familiar with the plan, breaking with decades of precedent by declining to provide even the briefest of grace periods.

The mandate — issued “without exceptions,” according to a terse State Department cable sent on Dec. 23, diplomats who saw it said — threatens to leave the United States without Senate-confirmed envoys for months in critical nations like Germany, Canada and Britain. In the past, administrations of both parties have often granted extensions on a case-by-case basis to allow a handful of ambassadors, particularly those with school-age children, to remain in place for weeks or months.
I'm impressed with Trump when I hear things like this. I thought he might be a weak leader but he actually leads like a tough a$& Marine coming into a company run by low standards, weak performers, and weak leaders.

I'm impressed with him standing up to those bald face lying tw$ts in the CIA and FBI too. He's easier on them than I would be so they ought thank their lucky stars.

I know Federal agencies have rivalries with local cops. So, I'd let little Girl Scouts know, I'm Captain of the Ship, the Comanche Chief of the tribe, and I'll replace all of them with street cops. Secret Service too if they don't like it. I'll tell the New York, Chicago, Detroit cops they can put on a suit and get a pay raise coming to work for me. Blue Lives Matter banners will be flying from the White House. Free BBQ for all the poor, homeless, and destitute walking around the White House. And I hear there are many of them.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You were humiliated in your own thread when it was pointed out that Obama did the same thing, so now you resort to more trolling.
oh geez... try reading this:

"Incoming presidents of both parties have often made exceptions to allow ambassadors to wrap up personal affairs and important diplomatic business while their successors were in the confirmation process, which can take months. Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Mr. Obama all granted extensions for a few politically appointed ambassadors. Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell offered particularly wide latitude to ambassadors facing family issues, said Marc Grossman, a longtime diplomat and former top State Department official who is vice chairman of the Cohen Group, a Washington consultancy."
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/us...bassadors.html

Old 01-07-2017, 05:43 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,103,495 times
Quote:

"Incoming presidents of both parties have often made exceptions to allow ambassadors to wrap up personal affairs and important diplomatic business while their successors were in the confirmation process, which can take months. Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Mr. Obama all granted extensions for a few politically appointed ambassadors. Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell offered particularly wide latitude to ambassadors facing family issues, said Marc Grossman, a longtime diplomat and former top State Department official who is vice chairman of the Cohen Group, a Washington consultancy."
What makes you think there won't be exceptions granted, because some unnamed source said so.

You Trump haters sure like your unnamed sources.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:

The NY Times article, typically intending to portray Trump in the worst possible light, neglected to mention that Obama also instructed Bush appointed ambassadors to leave their posts by January 20th, 2009 when he took office. Instead they launched into touchy-feely stories about what hardships Trump's directive would cause those ambassadors who wanted to stick around for a while for "family" issues".

Since you objected to the Breitbart article I provided in another post, here is an article from the Washington Post about the notice from the Obama administration to politically appointed diplomats informing them they must vacate their posts by January 20, 2009.

Interesting to note the positive spin in this article. As in, "The clean slate will open up prime opportunities for the president-elect to reward political supporters with posts in London, Paris, Tokyo and the like."

The only mention of accomodating diplomats who wanted to stay longer was this: "Political ambassadors sometimes are allowed to stay on briefly during a new administration, but the sweeping nature of the directive suggests that Obama has little interest in retaining any of Bush's ambassadorial appointees."
No mention there of any hardships this might present to ambassadors who might have wanted to stick around for "family issues", or anything like that.

So when it was perfectly fine for the Obama to do this, why is Trump such a villain for doing the same thing?

44 - Obama Gives Political Ambassadors Their Pink Slips

Old 01-07-2017, 06:00 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So when it was perfectly fine for the Obama to do this, why is Trump such a villain for doing the same thing?

44 - Obama Gives Political Ambassadors Their Pink Slips
It's only a bad thing when the party they don't like does it.

Gotta keep that faux outrage going

Old 01-07-2017, 06:03 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Just so you know the Govt. pays the moving expenses, both ways, and it happens every time.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
And all politically appointed people in ALL other agencies should quit on Jan 20 #1 on list- Dept of Justice, #2 EPA, #3 Anyone in any intelligence agency

Old 01-07-2017, 06:34 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You were humiliated in your own thread when it was pointed out that Obama did the same thing, so now you resort to more trolling.
Why is it when poster's point out other posters that what they say(write) is just not wrong but a blatant lie ,they are reported for "trolling"???

Old 01-07-2017, 06:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,796,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Melania refuses to move to DC because Barron needs to finish school, but these guys need to quit?

As I say, not as a I do. Trump's real campaign mantra.
No respect whatsoever for others, unless they are his corrupt billionaire buddies.

Many of those people have families living abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies