Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Blacks make up 13% of the population.

If business does not have the % of their workforce minority, compared to the surrounding demographics, then it would indicate a lack of education in that demographic.

Then we go to the gangsta lifestyle pushed onto the black youth of America, and you see many people that are undesirable to hire for any reliable job.

First impressions and education, will set you free.
on the bold. You actually had some good comments until that ridiculousness. You think all black youth are "pushed" into a "gangsta lifestyle" lol. If so, you are living in a fantasy world. Educational achievement of the black demographic, whereas blacks finishing high school and attending/graduating from college is at an all time high today.

On your percentages, I don't think the 13% of the population number should be used as it depends on the available graduates. Nationwide about 6% of black graduates have STEM degrees, yet only 3% work in a STEM carer. IMO it should be closer to 6%.

On the "set you free" part another at that. We are already "free." Is it your intent to enslave us or something if we don't impress you lol.

And for some people they always have a low impression of black Americans. Looks like you are one of those people. Nothing we do can make you change your impression. That is your problem and it is not my job or any other black person's job to make you see black people as "regular" people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 07:23 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Also, please read the link. It states that candidates were sent to Facebook specifically who were diverse candidates and who were qualified...
They were sent because, absurdly, Facebook has structured their recruiters evaluations in a way that forces them to prioritize certain kinds of people over others, without regard to ability. Merely being qualified isn't good enough to get an engineering job at a top IT company. They want to hire the best people they can find, not just anyone who is "qualified" and the right color.
Quote:
yet the Facebook engineering team, instead of looking at real factors regarding the interview and background, instead focused on schools and who someone knew at the company.
One "diversity consultant" they quoted claimed this. That hardly makes it a fact.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:47 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,249 times
the pool of diverse candidates is very shallow - especially in the already shallow pool of candidates considered qualified for "high end" companies like Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc.

Only 30% of the workforce have Bachelors degrees (minimum requirement for "high end" company)

What percentage of THAT are minorities?

What percentage of THAT number hold tech-focused degrees?

What percentage of THAT number live in the hiring region?

What percentage of THAT number are actively seeking employment?

just sayin' - the number of diverse candidates has to be very, very low and more than likely, they're happily employed.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
They were sent because, absurdly, Facebook has structured their recruiters evaluations in a way that forces them to prioritize certain kinds of people over others, without regard to ability. Merely being qualified isn't good enough to get an engineering job at a top IT company. They want to hire the best people they can find, not just anyone who is "qualified" and the right color.
One "diversity consultant" they quoted claimed this. That hardly makes it a fact.
The companies are asked by recruiters for reasons why they don't hire an individual and if Facebook told them this, then it can be taken to be trusted information.

And our above comment makes no sense. If "merely being qualified" is "not enough" to get a job, then what the hell are you interviewing for. You should just go hire someone off the street.

On that note, I mentioned in my previous posts that IMO knowing someone who works at a company is much more important than qualifications. I believe this is true across all career categories whereas if someone is "minimally" qualified, yet they know someone who works for the company, they will get hired over someone who is much more qualified than they are based on skillset and employment background/experience. So if this is what you meant by "merely qualified" then I can see where you are coming from, but to suggest that a recruiter would send a company an unqualified person who is a minority/woman to Facebook and to think they would even consent to interviewing such a candidate is pretty absurd unless they wanted to stack the deck in the favor of someone who knows someone working for the company - I have worked in a capacity in HR and have seen this occur BTW. A friend of a hiring manager going for a job, they get the recruiters to send the worse qualified person and then their friend comes out looking better than everyone else so they get the job.

Regardless the issue is not that there is no black, hispanic, or women who are educated and qualified to work for Facebook and other companies like them, the problem is that their staff do like other companies - they hire new people who went to the same school they went to (the alumni network) or who they personally know either professionally or personally (the "good old boy" network). Minorities and women, many times are not included in these network groups and so no matter their skills or education, they are not hired.

This is why the claims by many people on this board are ridiculous when it comes to their belief that blacks or hispanics especially are getting hired over "qualified" white people. Blacks have a much smaller network in all forms of business except for government work versus whites. This is why black college graduates have much higher unemployment rates than white graduates:

From the Economic Policy Institute - 2016

Quote:
Young black college graduates (age 24–29) currently have an unemployment rate of 9.4 percent—higher than the peak unemployment rate for young white college graduates during the recovery (9.0 percent).

Since these young graduates have the same basic degree and are in the same labor market position as their peers (whether high school or college), one would hope there would be little disparity in the unemployment rates of each group. The fact that having an equivalent amount of education and a virtual blank slate of prior professional work experience still does not generate parity in unemployment across race is evidence that factors such as discrimination, or unequal access to the informal networks that often lead to job opportunities are in play.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
on the bold. You actually had some good comments until that ridiculousness. You think all black youth are "pushed" into a "gangsta lifestyle" lol. If so, you are living in a fantasy world. Educational achievement of the black demographic, whereas blacks finishing high school and attending/graduating from college is at an all time high today.

On your percentages, I don't think the 13% of the population number should be used as it depends on the available graduates. Nationwide about 6% of black graduates have STEM degrees, yet only 3% work in a STEM carer. IMO it should be closer to 6%.

On the "set you free" part another at that. We are already "free." Is it your intent to enslave us or something if we don't impress you lol.

And for some people they always have a low impression of black Americans. Looks like you are one of those people. Nothing we do can make you change your impression. That is your problem and it is not my job or any other black person's job to make you see black people as "regular" people.

The thread is about diverse workforce. The 13% is the per capital population the Black population resides. Has nothing to do with available graduates.

Even with your calculations to get there, "per capita", If business does not have the % of their workforce minority, compared to the surrounding demographics, then it would indicate a lack of education in that demographic.

Then you want to turn a blind eye and totally deny, the gangsta lifestyle pushed onto the black youth of America and causing many people that are undesirable to hire for any reliable job. I wouldn't hire them and certainly not in a professional well paying setting. I see future burger flipper and video game player.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The thread is about diverse workforce. The 13% is the per capital population the Black population resides. Has nothing to do with available graduates.

Even with your calculations to get there, "per capita", If business does not have the % of their workforce minority, compared to the surrounding demographics, then it would indicate a lack of education in that demographic.

Then you want to turn a blind eye and totally deny, the gangsta lifestyle pushed onto the black youth of America and causing many people that are undesirable to hire for any reliable job. I wouldn't hire them and certainly not in a professional well paying setting. I see future burger flipper and video game player.

This is about a divorce workforce at Facebook specifically so instead of looking at the entire black population of 13% you look at the percent of black graduates in a particular field such as information systems and computer science, which is 6% like I mentioned out of the over 30% of black Americans with a 2 year degree or above and 20% of black Americans with a bachelors degree or above.

And if you want to be a racist person you are "free" to do so but don't be surprised whens someone tells you what you are or get offended and whiny and defensive about it . That's the impression you give off. Unlike you, I don't judge based on an individual's appearance, instead I depend on what they communicate and how they behave as an individual to make such judgments.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:35 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
This is about a divorce workforce at Facebook specifically so instead of looking at the entire black population of 13% you look at the percent of black graduates in a particular field such as information systems and computer science, which is 6% like I mentioned out of the over 30% of black Americans with a 2 year degree or above and 20% of black Americans with a bachelors degree or above.

And if you want to be a racist person you are "free" to do so but don't be surprised whens someone tells you what you are or get offended and whiny and defensive about it . That's the impression you give off. Unlike you, I don't judge based on an individual's appearance, instead I depend on what they communicate and how they behave as an individual to make such judgments.
So we have data about black BA holders. But we should look more thorough: There are less blacks in SF Bay Area than in Nashville TN and I guess there are less SMAT black graduates than Asians (proportionally).

Old 01-11-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
So we have data about black BA holders. But we should look more thorough: There are less blacks in SF Bay Area than in Nashville TN and I guess there are less SMAT black graduates than Asians (proportionally).
FYI - black people can move all over the country...

Also, many companies pay for relocation expenses of a new employee. The fact that they are using recruiters means they will pay for new employees to move to the area. It happens all the time. I have had my moving expenses reimbursed a couple times, most recently for a cross country move. Many will provide relocation expenses of $5-$20k depending on the organization and how far you are coming from.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:37 AM

I'll further note that interviewing is not always done in person today. I've interviewed people and have been interviewed via phone and via Skype and other web based video conferencing services.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:07 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:

You're assuming that because someone is a graduate they're qualified. In tech that's not a given (in fact except for afew universities the degree isn't worth the paper it's written on or the loan expended), someone who completes a loop will be determined to be qualified and offered a position. Otherwise they're determined to be not qualified.

As far as recruiting in tech to be frank they could randomly select 33% of the resume submissions and be as effective as they are doing fancy keyword counts and other ineffective methods they're using. They're not a complete waste, but, they're only reducing a large pool to something that is manageable.

That's only my opinion, that said my opinion is based on several years as a hiring manager in one of the top techs.

Further referrals can be far more productive, since the referral is often an employee at a competitor, and/or someone vouched by a known quantity (the employee referring), depending on who refers the chance of the referred being hired may be lower than no referral at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies