Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:28 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,933,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Obviously, you don't know how American politics work.

A minority that holds together can make s president's life hell. You're assuming that Republicans will hold together in the majority. They didn't do it the last few times they had a majority, and they won't do it now. Moreover, Dems don't really need a fractured Republican Party to to wreak havoc. But there will be a fractured Republican Party regardless so that makes it far easier.

Remember Repubs...Trump won. Republicans won nothing. I don't know anything about Donald Trump, and you guys know even less than I do. You voted for him on a lark...not because you know his political philosophy or whether or not he's competent. You DON'T know either. All you know is that he's not Hillary. That's it.

You'd better hope you made the right bet. I know for a fact that you're all terrified that you didn't...but you'll never admit it here. You don't have to though. The more cocky and garrulous you are about this whole thing, the more scared I know you are.

I'm just gonna sit back and watch the show. I've got a big enough bag of popcorn to last four years! I'm gonna enjoy it too.
Well said.

Considering how the Grand Ole Partiers would prefer Mr. Pence sitting in a different seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:30 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,864,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The latest brave words from the Democrats is that they are going to "hold Trump accountable."

Really?

I wonder how.

The Democrats don't have the House or the Senate.

In 2018, they'll lose even more seats in the Senate from states that voted for Trump.

They had 18 months to hold him accountable when he was running for office -- didn't happen.

And I'm not even asking "accountable for what?" -- but we can explore that, too.

You didn't seem to get upset when the leader of the GOP ( I forget who it was at the time) said "We are going to keep Bill Clinton on a very short leash" when Bill was first elected. That sentence turned me against the Republicans because it showed that they didn't give a damn about working for America, all they wanted to do was play politics.

So, why are you upset now that the shoe is on the other foot ?

Old 01-18-2017, 05:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Sorry, the GOP is going to stand behind Trump no matter what.
No matter what? GOP is not as corrupt as you hope.

They will stand up if/when best interest of the United States is jeopardized. That is their job, and they will do it.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:31 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,253,889 times
Quote:
The latest brave words from the Democrats is that they are going to "hold Trump accountable."

Really?

I wonder how.

The Democrats don't have the House or the Senate.

In 2018, they'll lose even more seats in the Senate from states that voted for Trump.

They had 18 months to hold him accountable when he was running for office -- didn't happen.

And I'm not even asking "accountable for what?" -- but we can explore that, too.
Holding someone accountable is the premise of having 3 branches of government.

So in the light of passing obamacare without reading or understanding that legislation, the dems feel guilty and restate their constitutional responsibility. As if it is somehow a new and novel concept that gives them high moral ground and reaffirms their role as the people's representatives.

Dems are being played by putin, lost the election and now feel the need to declare themselves awake and alert as if coming back into consciousness with rambling, irrelevant words.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,933,800 times
Quote:
The president and vice president are exempt from conflict of interest prohibitions.

As for "emoluments", Democrats need to learn that renting a hotel room is not the same thing as giving somebody a gift.

That "somebody" has to provide a hotel room in return for the money they are paid.
Nice gamble. Considering how Congress' grand ole idea of removing the ethics committee went over so well, like a lead Zeppelin I think it was.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
When Obama took the oath of office, the economy was crashing and despite Bush's carrier landing "Mission Accomplished" festivities, we were still knee deep in two wars.

Apparently, Obama & Biden believed that investigating Bush & Cheney would create divisiveness during a time we all needed to work together to get things back on track.

In retrospect, it probably would have made no difference in the divisiveness and we would have made it clear that Americans holds their presidents and vice-presidents accountable for their actions.

Within minutes of taking the oath to protect and defend our Constitution, Trump will be in violation of it.

What will be done about it remains to be seen.
Die hard loyalists insist he should not be held accountable no matter what, but there are patriots in Congress in both parties who will defend the best interests of the Nation. Even if they fail, the American people will hold him accountable.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Too bad the Dems didn't hold Obama accountable for his eight years of failure or hold Hillary accountable for her negligence and corruption.

This is why they look like hypocrites and fools. It's always someone else's fault. Point the finger anywhere but at their own clown show that has the fewest amount of seats since the Civil War. Yeah, that's a lot of support they have going there.

They can hold whoever they want accountable, but nobody cares. They lost. People stopped listening. And if they don't shutup and stop acting like crybabies they will become more inconsequential than than they already are.
"Too bad the Dems didn't hold Obama accountable for his eight years of failure or hold Hillary accountable for her negligence and corruption."

Let's not leave out the 1st AG, Holder, the head of the IRS, the 2nd AG, Harry Reid, etc.

I'm sure I can come up with a few others.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:38 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,443,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
apparently you forget that at the time Dems did hold the majority and they were in position to embark on endless investigations and even prosecution, but they decided it would not have been in the best interest of the US. It was the right thing to do, even classy, and if you mock them fore doing it, it only shows how bitterly partisan you are. Pretty much a lost cause.
They didn't investigate Bush and Cheney because many of them were implicated in -- and had approved of -- waterboarding and other "enhanced interrogation" techniques.

What hypocrisy -- claiming to be looking out for "the best interest of the U.S." when in fact they were looking out for their own asses! LOL

Quote:
And now you think no one will touch Trump no matter what he does because Dems are in minority......well, I think you think (and hope) GOP is far more corrupt, than it actually is. There are many stand up, classy people in GOP, who will act if lines are crossed. Trump will be held accountable, if not by Congress, then by the public. You, and other loyalists will defend him no matter what, which is to be expected, but it won't help.
Sorry.

The subject of this thread is specifically about DEMOCRATS holding Trump accountable for not satisfying THEM.

They don't seem to understand that they LOST -- and the last thing this country wants is for the Democrats to be satisfied right now!

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
Quote:

As for "emoluments", Democrats need to learn that renting a hotel room is not the same thing as giving somebody a gift.

That "somebody" has to provide a hotel room in return for the money they are paid.

Starting at noon on Friday, any King, Prince, or foreign State guests paying to stay at Trump hotel or play on a Trump golf course, paying management fees to one his property management companies... puts Trump in violation of the Constitution.

Article 1, Section 9, Clause 8 of the Constitution.

“...And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”

His ridiculous "trust" as well as his plans to donate any profit his hotels make from any foreign state guests to the U.S. treasury are nothing but nonsense.

Though paying taxes would certainly be a step in the right direction, the Constitution is clear that accepting the money in the first place is not allowed.

Furthermore, emolument means payment, not profit from those payments.

Emolument: Payment made for work that has been done. Refers to payments made to millers for grinding corn as "emolere" means "grind out."

There is no question that accepting any payment from a foreign state is in violation of the Constitution.

Now whether Congress will hold him accountable remains to be seen.

18,323 posts, read 10,684,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Too bad the Dems didn't hold Obama accountable for his eight years of failure or hold Hillary accountable for her negligence and corruption."

Let's not leave out the 1st AG, Holder, the head of the IRS, the 2nd AG, Harry Reid, etc.

I'm sure I can come up with a few others.

"others" ,one real one would be enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies