Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:34 AM

519 posts, read 732,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
lol. not all millenials are like the pajama boy obama care but yes, there is alot of softness involved here

this pic sort of sums up the ww2 generation and everyone else

these are common use pics from wikimedia commons

So you want us to have another terrible world war? That's pretty messed up. You don't like a peaceful world, and would rather have millions of people die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 03:45 AM

19,854 posts, read 12,127,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why are you blaming Obama. Housing prices have gone way up and people just can't afford them.
There are other options besides living in mom's basement or buying a house.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:12 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,533,893 times
Sorry don't buy it either. This generation was raised with an over inflated self esteem ( you are wonderful at Everything) and thus expect life to be easy. I have 9 nieces and nephews in their early 20's to early 30's in age. None of them live with their parents except one lazy nephew who majored in philosophy and thinks most work is beneath him. The others all found jobs (not necessarily dream jobs or jobs that pay well) but, jobs that allow them to live independently. When I graduated college a long time back, I scrambled for cash to buy food and gas. But I lived like that for 5 years, rather than living with my parents. This is a choice and, the new "normal". Hell I know young high school drop outs who work multiple part time LOW paying jobs but still manage to keep an apartment in less than pristine neighborhoods. So if your kid lives in Iowa where they cannot find a job, just maybe they need to move to a city where they CAN find one, even if it's not their dream. How many working folks LOVE their job or believe they are getting paid what they should? Yeah, things ARE tough out there. Living with mommy and daddy until you are 30 is not going to make anybody any tougher.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:58 AM

17,014 posts, read 12,610,157 times
Are we returning to what was pretty much normal for thousands of years? Kids and parents living under the same roof. My fathers parents and my great grandparents lived in the same house. Mucho fighting between my grandmother, whose house it was and my great grandmother who was the elder.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:01 AM

10,242 posts, read 6,333,789 times
My SIL was born in 1981. Millenial? He lived at home while he went to a local college but still lived at home after he graduated and got a job (NYC Teacher). Commuted from LI to NYC. I supposed he could have afforded to move out if he wanted to, but he saved a lot of money by living at home. He did not move out until he married my daughter 7 years ago. Years ago this was normal for young women. So now young men are doing it too.

Our daughter (born 1984) did go away to college, but she had to move out after graduation simply because we moved to Florida (Dad's job) and she did not want to live in Florida. I would be willing to guess that she too probably would have lived at home if we stayed. She is also a Teacher and could afford to live on her own even without a roommate.

I suppose it depends on the individual's circumstances, and their particular choices in life.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:11 AM

59,191 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
35% of millennial young men live with their parents!

"For men ages 18 to 34, living at home with mom and/or dad has been the dominant living arrangement since 2009. In 2014, 28% of young men were living with a spouse or partner in their own home, while 35% were living in the home of their parent"

In 2014, for the first time in more than 130 years, adults ages 18 to 34 were slightly more likely to be living in their parents’ home than they were to be living with a spouse or partner in their own household." This article was last year and stats from 2014 but I doubt it has changed much

For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangements for 18- to 34-Year-Olds | Pew Research Center

I wonder if gaming and growing up with computers and social media has really made socializing into adults much harder. The numbers are shocking for young men still living with parents

graph from wikimedia commons
"35% of millennial young men live with their parents!"

I certainly would NOT call them "men"!

Old 01-19-2017, 05:43 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,332,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
More young people go to college than before. Some of them live with their parents while going to school, rather than go into debt for student housing at $10k/year for room/board.

Between the college thing and younger people waiting longer to marry, this likely makes up for some of the numbers.

Also some teens seem to act much younger in their real age when it comes to dependency on their parents. Some 18-19 year olds act like 14-15 year olds from decades ago as far as having their parents treat them like they are much younger than their real age. Helicopter parents did some of this.
Agreed. Parents set expectations they have of their children. When senior year of high school commenced, mine and the parents of most of my friends already had "the talk" with their children about post-H.S. plans. Most of us already knew what we were aiming for. Mine made it clear, rent would be about 80% of a studio apt., curfew and all other rules would remain the same. I already had a part-time job (no allowance). I moved out within a month of turning 18 (graduated a couple months before 18th b-day and couldn't sign a lease until I was 18 yrs. old).

After I worked a few years, to save for college, I returned to parents' home, rent free, during the first 3 yrs. of college; for which I paid what scholarships and loans didn't.

I think this is the way it ought to be.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:11 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,128,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
I'm a 24 year old male and I still live with my parents. I've never been good with getting an education, I dropped out of high school to get a GED. I tried community college, but it was more of the same. Too much of a high school feeling, and I'm terrible at math so I didn't keep going. Pretty much I just work part time minimum wage jobs by choice, it gives me enough money to pay for car insurance, my phone, food, and any other leisure activities I want to do. I will admit I'm lucky that my parents don't make me pay rent, but hey, this is the life I get to live. I also have a brother who is 23 who also lives at home, and he's in the same situation as me. I have another brother who's 20, he's currently in college and he also lives at home.

For me, I have no idea what career I want to do, or what would be realistic for someone like me who doesn't want to waste money on school when I know it's not for me. I've heard the trades, but even with those I'm not sure what would interest me. For right now, I'm pretty content with my life now. I don't work that many hours each week, and I can do the things I like to do. I have no problem living with my family, because we all get along. I'm not really that social, don't have many friends, and I haven't had a girlfriend yet. So I don't really have anything to motivate me. Getting my own house doesn't interest me. Most of my hobbies are relatively cheap and don't require a lot of money. I can do them by working my current minimum wage job. I also don't let anyone dictate when I do things, I do them when I want to.

It seems to me that some in this thread are jealous of the life I get to live, because they didn't get to live this life. It has to be something like that, otherwise why would you even care what 18-34 year old males are doing?
No one here is jealous of you. You should be ashamed of being such an unmotivated mooch.
Obviously you haven't thought this through. At some point you will be out on the street when your parents wake up and see what you are doing, or sell the house. Then what?
Unbelievable!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,508,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The economy is so 'great' that people can't afford to move out of mom's basement!

Thanks Obama!
Seems lots of posters are blaming Obama, yet the majority of US states have Republican governors, Republican US Representatives, Republican state congress. State legislatures and governors woo companies to their states. State and local governments impact local education and local infrastructure which brings jobs and keeps jobs.

Seems posters like to brag about having so many states run by Republicans(or even lots of Republicans in the US congress), but when the Republicans don't support the people in those states, people give those Rebublicans a free pass and instead blame Obama for everything that's not perfect.

You can't have it both ways.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:31 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,559,296 times
My son lived at home with me until he was 27. Why? Because he didn't finish college, he had gotten himself into $10,000 of debt that I made him work to pay off, and the cost of housing in Los Angeles is far outpacing wages. This is why people who do "live on their own" need roommates, and not just renting bedrooms, but also the living room.

To illustrate this, I make good money and yet I can't afford to move from my two-bedroom apartment. My rent is $1,660. Market rate would be $2,200. A one-bedroom in this building is going for $1,850-$1,900.

My son has worked at Ralphs (Kroger) for almost ten years, and he's finally making over $20 an hour. This seems like good money - but not if you live in L.A. Yes, he could relocate somewhere else, but who knows what that job would pay? Companies aren't stupid, and they'll reduce wages commensurate with the reduced cost of living.

I wish he'd go back to school and get a degree, but he's not motivated to do so right now. School never really motivated him, and I tried my best to make him see how important an education is. (This is the problem with children; they're often determined to go their own way and make their own mistakes even if they have more difficult lives as a result.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies