Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

You know who's full of their own self importance? Someone who would risk the insurability 20 million Americans because they are premiums went up by $100 a month.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:08 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
Somehow celebrities have been put onto a pedestal and lead to believe that their voice matters. They tend to be liberal b/c liberals can get away with good intentions rather than actual actions...

And no, it is not lost on me that Trump is also a celebrity (but his celebrity is based on business, wealth, and brand)
A 'B' movie actor for instance?

A Reality TV star/producer for another?

Old 01-23-2017, 05:13 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxox88 View Post
They are paid to entertain, why do they voice their political opinions, which must be personal?
I am apolitical, but I think I'm more liberal than conservative. And yet, I'm appaled at all the celebrities talking politics. Therefore from now on I will boycott American pop culture by not buying any more movies or music. Thank God for torrenting! What do celebrities even know about politics? All they know is how to take drugs and party. They are not even doing good entertainment judging by the crap Hollywood comes up with these days. Decadent, lazy American privilleged snobs speaking on the behalf of the common people.
They have a right to voice their opinions like anyone else.......But that doesn't mean that they should.

Basically they risk alienating half of their customer base. And if they voice the "wrong" opinion it can be a career killer.
(Look at what's happening now with Nicole Kidman)

They also shouldn't expect anyone to give more weight to their opinions than anyone else's just by virtue of their celebrity status.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:16 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
They have a right to voice their opinions like anyone else.......But that doesn't mean that they should.

Basically they risk alienating half of their customer base. And if they voice the "wrong" opinion it can be a career killer.
(Look at what's happening now with Nicole Kidman)

They also shouldn't expect anyone to give more weight to their opinions than anyone else's just by virtue of their celebrity status.
It's called conviction.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:21 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxox88 View Post
They are paid to entertain, why do they voice their political opinions, which must be personal?
I am apolitical, but I think I'm more liberal than conservative. And yet, I'm appaled at all the celebrities talking politics. Therefore from now on I will boycott American pop culture by not buying any more movies or music. Thank God for torrenting! What do celebrities even know about politics? All they know is how to take drugs and party. They are not even doing good entertainment judging by the crap Hollywood comes up with these days. Decadent, lazy American privilleged snobs speaking on the behalf of the common people.
OMG... Reagan, Sonny Bono, the wrestling guy who became gov of Minnesota, trump himself... I'm sure there are more, but those just came immediately to mind.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:22 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
One of the hallmarks of a free and open society is that you can criticize the Government in public. No one's forcing you to pay attention to it. After all, people come here and voice their opinion everyday. Thank goodness we can do that without retribution.

Ask the band PussyRiot what they think of the Russian government.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:32 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's called conviction.
Lol..... yea conviction.

And celebs like Madonna who are walking a fine line shouldn't be surprised when they find out the real definition of the word.

Libs are big on pointing out that free speech has limits....let's see how they feel when they get an up close and personal experience with the consequences for stepping over that line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies