Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was hoping it would make said persons feel really stupid. Truth is, it would be better for said persons to just come out and admit their true intentions. If they are proven wrong, they would have to admit what they really have up their sleeve. The persons who claim "Blacks should vote Republican", I can show them that both parties have their issues. I don't expect to correct their way of thinking. However, it would be better for said persons to just admit why they are so invested in having Blacks vote Republican. And I don't think it's about the well-being of Black people.
Might as well expect peace on Earth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:19 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
All I can say is that I am glad the days for my wife and I to worry about schooling for our two children are over, since now both of them are college graduates and fully employed. There is hardly a more important concern for any good parent, however, and we still support whatever efforts it seems will make for a better education that makes for a better future for all Americans whether they have kids or not.

Me, my wife and our kids greatly benefited from the public education system in America that was thanks to the people before our time that helped make that possible. We certainly feel the same obligation to keep that opportunity going for as many kids as possible into the future.

Another reason we didn't vote for Trump who now appoints DeVos as Secretary of Education, taking us from bad to worse just like that...

Marco Rubio Took Almost $100,000 From Betsy DeVos' Family Before Confirming Her Today

This one's a duzzy!

Marco Rubio Took Nearly $100,000 From Betsy DeVos' Family Before Confirming Her | Miami New Times
I'm 30 (I'm turning 31 this spring). I don't have any children and I'm single. Alot of people I know have children. I don't know what I would do if I had children. I would likely try and get them in private school. My father wanted to get me in private school. Where we lived, the nearest private school was about 35-40 minutes away. Not to mention, it wasn't cheap. The furthest high school from me in the county was 25 minutes away(on a bad day).

I understand that a parent's concern for one's children is education. On one hand, it is because of the public education system that people would receive an education. There are many it has served. On the other hand, there are many places where it is lacking. With Betsy DeVos, I don't see the future being promising for public education.

Why few people are calling out Marco Rubio and Betsy DeVos for corruption, it is rather beyond me.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand, again...

Perhaps you are asking about the amount of the majority rather than just the simple fact that the majority of blacks and minorities lean toward support of the Democrats rather than Republicans. Is that it?
Yes, that is exactly it.
Quote:
Or maybe you can be more specific as to what results you might expect and why, since you are apparently not willing to explain your original point that conservative economic policy should draw more black votes...
I am unwilling to go into that because it would have us debating Conservative vs. Liberal policy, which is beside the point I was originally trying to make. Regardless of which policies are better, Conservative or Liberal, I would expect to see adherents to each within a large, diverse group of people.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 02-08-2017 at 06:21 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 06:11 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Still, you would like to believe we could somehow foresee what later becomes an act of terrorism, even by someone under watch, but all too often we fail.
No foresight was required in the case of someone like Lopez-Sanchez. All one needed to do was look at his past criminal record to see that he was no good and was in fact a drain on society rather than a contributor to it, and thus, provided no benefit to keeping him here, even if it can be argued there might be a benefit to allowing others to stay.

I don't agree with sanctuary policies at all, obviously, but even for those who do, I would think it common sense to make exceptions to that rule when dealing with someone the likes of Lopez-Sanchez, as opposed to just accepting the predictable harm someone like him will cause as the price of pursuing some "bigger picture".....

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 02-08-2017 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My high school had a split of 80/20 White/minority. The two better high school in the county(there were 3 where I was in high school from 2000 to 2004) were 85/15 and 70/30. The county itself was 95% White up until the late 1990s. Today that county is around 17% Black and 75% White. I don't know where you are from. However, where I live, school districts are either by county or city. Where I went to high school, the county ran the schools. My high school is the oldest in the county, and drew from the less wealthy part of the county. It drew from middle class people(and some middle upper class). We also got alot of trailer parks and underclass.

I don't know how areas in the county voted. I was a teenager, and my parents were never really invested in the politics there. We as a family figured we'd leave as soon as I(and my siblings) graduated from high school. Oddly enough, my parents are still there. I eventually moved back home(graduated from college without a job). I work now, but I still with my parents(for now). The area is heavily Republican(as it was back in the 1990s/early 2000s). I don't know what the schools are like(more high schools have opened up as the population has rapidly increased). Being single with no children, it has not been a concern for me.
Weird how similar our 2 areas are. I graduated high school in 2010, so ill just use current data

County School system and Baldwin County is 85% white, 9% black, 4% Hispanic.

Bay Minette(the city I went to high school in) is only 61% white, 35% black.

In contrast, Daphne , Fairhope, Spanish Fort and Gulf Shores( the wealthy areas) are 82%, 89%, 87%, and 89% White.

the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay (Daphne,Fairhope, Spanish Fort) and Gulf Shores are where the more wealthy residents in the county live, and where the best high schools are when it comes to arts, sports, electives for students to choose from and they voted in favor of the tax, Everywhere else was against the tax with the exception of South Eastern Baldwin( Elberta) as they would have gotten their own Feeder Pattern if it passed.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yes, that is exactly it.

I am unwilling to go into that because it would have us debating Conservative vs. Liberal policy, which is beside the point I was originally trying to make. Regardless of which policies are better, Conservative or Liberal, I would expect to see adherents to each within a large, diverse group of people.
You would expect to see adherents for both parties a bit more balanced if conservative policy were equal to liberal policy in the eyes of blacks, minorities and lots of other people. But it is not equal or better as far as all those missing adherents you are wondering about, and for lots of people in general. There's your answer plain and simple.

Frankly, I wonder why the GOP gets as many votes from blacks and minorities as it does, much like I wonder why only 85% of scientists are not adherents to the Intelligent Design theory...

Old 02-09-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
No foresight was required in the case of someone like Lopez-Sanchez. All one needed to do was look at his past criminal record to see that he was no good and was in fact a drain on society rather than a contributor to it, and thus, provided no benefit to keeping him here, even if it can be argued there might be a benefit to allowing others to stay.

I don't agree with sanctuary policies at all, obviously, but even for those who do, I would think it common sense to make exceptions to that rule when dealing with someone the likes of Lopez-Sanchez, as opposed to just accepting the predictable harm someone like him will cause as the price of pursuing some "bigger picture".....
Note: Sanchez was deported. His return was not due to policy established by Democrats or Republicans any more than the terrorist act committed by Timothy McVeigh that killed 168 people and injured over 600 can be blamed on conservative or liberal policy.

Be reasonable. These issues/incidents must be considered in light of what is bound to happen no matter what we do to prevent such incidents while ALSO considering the impact on millions of good people that these policies also affect very directly and consequentially. Count the incidents of crime and murder committed by our own, having nothing to do with immigrants, and the worry or fear about immigrants barely ranks in terms of our chances of being victim of crimes in this country generally speaking. It's laughable to fear illegal immigrant crime versus all the rest having nothing to do with immigrants, like worrying about getting hit by lightening instead of an accident on the freeway...

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-09-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Weird how similar our 2 areas are. I graduated high school in 2010, so ill just use current data

County School system and Baldwin County is 85% white, 9% black, 4% Hispanic.

Bay Minette(the city I went to high school in) is only 61% white, 35% black.

In contrast, Daphne , Fairhope, Spanish Fort and Gulf Shores( the wealthy areas) are 82%, 89%, 87%, and 89% White.

the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay (Daphne,Fairhope, Spanish Fort) and Gulf Shores are where the more wealthy residents in the county live, and where the best high schools are when it comes to arts, sports, electives for students to choose from and they voted in favor of the tax, Everywhere else was against the tax with the exception of South Eastern Baldwin( Elberta) as they would have gotten their own Feeder Pattern if it passed.
Weird, but not surprising. I live in Georgia, the state next to Alabama. There is one caveat. Mobile metropolitan area is more comparable to Columbus or Augusta,GA, than to the Atlanta area.

I would probably know more about the area where I live voted, if I participated in local politics. I don't, and most of what I know about the schools is at least 13 years old. From what I've read, commissioners voted on considering a new property tax. I'm guess that is who is involved.

In my high school, students had to be bused to another high school for ROTC and then come back to the school. My high school was founded in the 1960s, while the other high schools were built in the 1990s. They were brand new and served wealthier areas. After the 1996 Olympics, Atlanta metro went through a housing boom. Some of the fastest growing counties in the nation were to be found in Georgia. Places that were farmland in the 1980s became subdivisions in the 90s/early 2000s. The subdivisions my family and me moved into in 1997 was farmland until the mid 1990s. You can still find cow pastures 2 miles from my house. The high school I graduated from still has cow pasture next to it.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
As you wish, but careful to profile as you do, because I think there is plenty evidence there are people in both parties at federal, state and local levels who do care about others; blacks, whites and all Americans in general. Whether you are one of them or not, I also don't care...

Obviously it is SO very easy to just kick at politicians for so many reasons, many times justified of course, but there are people who do something a bit more positive with the same frustration, like get into politics, and anyone who doesn't think so is just being mentally difficult and/or lazy. There are good people out there trying to do good work just like there are bad ones out there doing the opposite, and then all the rest of us in between. Let's at least try to be supportive of those doing the good work...
There is likely more balance when it comes to the politicians that I would give credit for. What I am saying is merely responding to those who make it their business to constantly prod at Blacks about their voting habits. If I decide to vote Democrat, why is that anyone's business?

Old 02-09-2017, 12:50 PM

I had to think about this reading another thread. John Kasich and Rand Paul did better among Blacks than any other GOP candidates looking for the Republican nomination. Somehow, Donald Trump got the nomination.

The candidate who has made racially charged remarks. This is the candidate who was the least likely to do any genuine outreach towards Blacks. His "what do you have to lose" speech wasn't given in a Black neighborhood in Milwaukee. It was in West Bend. This is why his attempt to reach out to Blacks could be viewed as fake.

I do agree that if GOP candidates, you have to reach out to Black voters. Let them know they count. And be for real about it. Do not bring up "free stuff". Do not bring up the buzz word "Democratic plantation". It has been proven that this works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies