Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,567,030 times

Advertisements

I guess this subject was already discussed here few years ago, but here it comes again...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-federal-lease

So... how this is a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Tell me why I should continue reading when they are using a picture of the Grand Canyon?

Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Tell me why I should continue reading when they are using a picture of the Grand Canyon?
They are using it for a reason that.... ( let me see here))))

"Republican lawmakers have quietly laid the foundation to give away a large portion of America’s 640m acres of national land. These may include areas around the Grand Canyon that feed the Colorado River. Arizona Republicans would like to open up surrounding mineral-rich areas for mining, while conservationists see this move as disastrous Photograph: Michele Falzone/Getty Images"

But if you hate that picture so much, here it is with a different picture))))

Congress lays groundwork to get rid of federal land and national parks - Business Insider

Old 01-25-2017, 09:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
They are using it for a reason that.... ( let me see here))))

"Republican lawmakers have quietly laid the foundation to give away a large portion of America’s 640m acres of national land. These may include areas around the Grand Canyon that feed the Colorado River. Arizona Republicans would like to open up surrounding mineral-rich areas for mining, while conservationists see this move as disastrous Photograph: Michele Falzone/Getty Images"
It's not a picture of the areas around the Grand Canyon but the Grand Canyon. Any idea how much area is owned by the Federal Governement around the Grand Canyon?

http://arcg.is/2jrxlEZ

Old 01-25-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not a picture of the areas around the Grand Canyon but the Grand Canyon. Any idea how much area is owned by the Federal Governement around the Grand Canyon?

http://arcg.is/2jrxlEZ
Oh, so you are not happy that British correspondents didn't go to exact location that you deem suitable for a subject, and therefore the article is not worth reading?
I see your hefty argument, it's spot on. In fact it's so solid, that we might as well overlook the whole thing -

“We didn’t see it coming. I think it was sneaky and underhanded. It exemplifies an effort to not play by the rules,” said Alan Rowsome, senior director of government relations at The Wilderness Society. “This is the worst Congress for public lands ever.”

Rowsome said he’s not exactly sure how the rule will be used, but he thinks the first places to come under attack might include areas adjacent to the majestic Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona and Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Those areas hold uranium and copper, respectively."

Hey, it's "adjacent" - nothing to see here, let them take whatever they like.

You might be happy with it, but I'm sure plenty of people will see it differently.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I guess this subject was already discussed here few years ago, but here it comes again...

So... how this is a good thing?

It is State land, within boundary lines. It is not a reclaimed territory.
Territories must be dispersed. and governed by the people of the Territory under the restrictions of the constitution.
They are not military bases, or naval ports, and there is only small buildings for federal offices.

Other than that, all land belongs to the respective outlined States with Borders, sovereignty and a constitution.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:19 AM

3,847 posts, read 1,789,905 times
We need to fiercely oppose selling off any of our public land --- for copper, uranium etc.. Tourism brings in millions that needs to be considered also.

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 01-26-2017 at 12:27 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 05:25 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,944 times
It's State land according to the US Constitution. Any law, regulation or anything else the federal government does that is contradictory to the limits of the US Constitution is void. That is State land, as is almost all federal land. The individual owning States can do as they deem with the land be it selling, leasing or whatever they choose.

But then again, that's just MY opinion based on my reading of the US Constitution and the Articles of Confederation which also play a role in this per the US Constitution.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
It's State land according to the US Constitution. Any law, regulation or anything else the federal government does that is contradictory to the limits of the US Constitution is void. That is State land, as is almost all federal land. The individual owning States can do as they deem with the land be it selling, leasing or whatever they choose.

But then again, that's just MY opinion based on my reading of the US Constitution and the Articles of Confederation which also play a role in this per the US Constitution.

Constitution has been written long time ago, so if things were done somewhat differently under the Federal Government with time, it happened for a reason. After all slavery was widely accepted back in the day when Constitution has been written, so as I've said things change with time - it's called "progress."
What I see happening in this case is a regress, along with other changes that will follow I'm sure and with a lot of negative consequences. ("United we stand, divided we..." what?)
But then, again, when god wants to weaken the country and bring it to her knees, he puts a fool in charge and whispers in his ear how to accomplish this task the best way possible.
So there is nothing we can do I guess, but to sit back and to watch what's unfolding.

(Just my opinion of course. )

Old 01-26-2017, 04:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is State land, within boundary lines. It is not a reclaimed territory.
Territories must be dispersed. and governed by the people of the Territory under the restrictions of the constitution.
They are not military bases, or naval ports, and there is only small buildings for federal offices.

Other than that, all land belongs to the respective outlined States with Borders, sovereignty and a constitution.
There have been national parks since 1872. You have a very twisted understanding of the Constitution.

Article 4 section 3:

"2: The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State."

Congress has unlimited power to control federal territory and property. When those states were admitted to the union they agreed to forever give up claim to all lands belonging to the United States.

This is truly political suicide if the GOP wants to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies