Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 05:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
In a free country each person has to be responsible for the information they choose to listen to. For instance I have realized for years one news station in particular has sung the praises of the least competent person running in the Republican primary in order to get the least favorable Republican elected to run against the Democratic party. Unfortunately for them the last election the Democratic party was rigged to have an even less favorable person on the ticket. And since that person lost the election, many have been trying to blame it on everything but the truth. They had the worst candidate.

I don't care how anyone tries to target me. I think for myself. I get attacked all the time on here for my independent thinking. No one can control you unless you let them.
This is a good philosophy - AFTER we have an educated populace.

I wonder how much time in middle and high school they actually spend on political science and civil engagement. Speaking for myself (very top end high school in the upper class burb), it was VERY little.

Much of the older generations (75+ at this point) were taught (whether subconsciously or otherwise) that if something was said or printed it must be true. My 96 YO MIL still believes this.

Once again we circle back around (the OP) and can say, without a doubt, that if old people were targeted using mind control and propaganda methods (these are all real....not conspiracy...the human mind can be manipulated), then even a tiny sliver could have made the difference.

I think Citizens United is very wrong and part of the downfall of our country. But, legal is legal (for now). What I think many of us are concerned with is the Russians and other foreign entities entering into our election process. That is against the law as well as against every grain of my American Spirit.

I'm pleased regarding your claim that you can see through any and every attempt to sway your vote. Of course, an Intelligence Officer, Psychologist, etc. would probably say you are - despite your claims - susceptible to being manipulated. Saying this is not so is like saying most boys don't start feeling tingles when they are 11-12 years old. Some stuff is just pre-programmed, and fear/survival/tribe, etc. are just some of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 05:29 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
Facebook is deceptive. They were the ones holding the keys of our home and opened them without most people knowing. They might have some small print in the users agreement where it says they can share your data if someone gets approval from one of your friends. They know what they are doing, they are just playing dumb.

In my opinion, Chances are both democrats and republicans obtained similar data from users. It was not illegal back then. I don’t know how FB worded their agreement in 2015 but FB is capable of using ambiguous language that sounded like developers couldn’t share the data with third parties but legally they could. FB is a snake of major proportions. I think they actually planned this with Cambridge analytical. What happened was that some workers in CA and Facebook spoke about it because they found those procedures unethical.

Our only hope is our politicians and many of them probably get campaign donations from these companies that hold all this data. In other words, we are screwed.
It was not small print...I was a volunteer with the Obama campaign in 2008 and 2012, the app clearly gave you the choice of what you wanted to share. People taking the personality quiz were not given a choice of what they would share, everything was shared unless they were sophisticated enough to know how to go to their settings and opt out.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
*Yawn* Facebook is so over-rated. Some of you guys put all your personal information on there (last name, job, school you attended, kids names, where you are on vacation ATM and then give your daily blow by blow synopsis regarding your life and you wonder how your privacy might be affected at some point in the future.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
https://phys.org/news/2018-03-psycho...mp-voters.html

Interesting insight into how it happened...

Old 03-21-2018, 05:46 PM

And found this article on CD about Flynn and CA
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...analytica.html

Old 03-21-2018, 05:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
*Yawn* Facebook is so over-rated. Some of you guys put all your personal information on there (last name, job, school you attended, kids names, where you are on vacation ATM and then give your daily blow by blow synopsis regarding your life and you wonder how your privacy might be affected at some point in the future.
Every man and woman a King and Queen!

There is a lot of that on FB. People who know little about the Digital World start a page or a group and feel the "power" of administration...not realizing they are giving away all the Intellectual Property of themselves and their members to a corporation...

I speak from a POV of being online since 1986 (was talking politics in Compuserve Forums!) and who started and ran a massive web site and forums for 18 years. I made good money from it AND was able to sell it for a good buck. ALL the information is still available to the public (that's the whole idea) and we have plenty of backups just in case (I sold it in 2014)...

I always have cautioned people not to pretend FB is a Forum. It's not. Also, it should be used for two main functions - getting or staying in touch with family and friends....and business promotion.

Not political discussion. Not somewhere to compare your old phone numbers ( I actually saw people doing this - talk about sensitive info!)....

Old 03-21-2018, 05:56 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That statement is just wrong---prime example of deflection and straw argument--
No it is not wrong.

There are Democrats in this thread saying:

-it is wrong to collect info on individual voters to target them individually
-it is wrong to use that info to create a narrative about an opponent

Obama did both of those.

You can be mad about a company lying about research and then taking the data, but that is not what those posters were taking a specific stand on - perhaps, because they either didn't know that or there isn't a link that Trump's campaign even knew that is what happened.

Of course, Obama bought data or gathered it from his own resources, but if we are being upset about dishonesty in collecting the data...not everyone knew that they were giving up data to Obama and where is the democratic indignation of the DNC and their bias for Hillary over Bernie with voter information?

CNN bragged that JFK subvertly got Catholic Church registries so that he could mail Catholic households anti-Catholic-anti-JFK fliers to reverse psychology get out the Catholic-JFK vote. CNN praised that as clever campaigning. As of what we know right now, how is this not worse than this story?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0e002a3134b05

Did 'Hillary for America' steal Bernie's voter database? - Baltimore Post-ExaminerBaltimore Post-Examiner

https://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/polit...ion/index.html

Old 03-21-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
No it is not wrong.

There are Democrats in this thread saying:

-it is wrong to collect info on individual voters to target them individually
-it is wrong to use that info to create a narrative about an opponent

Obama did both of those.

You can be mad about a company lying about research and then taking the data, but that is not what those posters were taking a specific stand on - perhaps, because they either didn't know that or there isn't a link that Trump's campaign even knew that is what happened.

Of course, Obama bought data or gathered it from his own resources, but if we are being upset about dishonesty in collecting the data...not everyone knew that they were giving up data to Obama and where is the democratic indignation of the DNC and their bias for Hillary over Bernie with voter information?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0e002a3134b05

Did 'Hillary for America' steal Bernie's voter database? - Baltimore Post-ExaminerBaltimore Post-Examiner

https://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/polit...ion/index.html
The difference is HONESTY---
And that is a big difference
Obama's team went about their data collection openly with informed consent
CA/FB/Trump's people did not...
If you are mixing Obama and HRC's campaigns like they are identical that is distortion and misrepresentation in itself...

The difference between Obama's data collection and CA/Trump is the difference between consensual sex and the gymnastics girls who were told they needed "muscle massage" and got sexually assaulted

Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM

267 posts, read 122,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

5. The researcher then took their data, AND the data of 50 million additional users who had not agreed to participate. This violated the researcher's agreement with Facebook.

WRONG

Why do you people keep spreading this lie?

It was a service that Facebook provided back then to all developers. If you don’t know what you are talking about then don’t say it. I thought making up fake news was a thing only conservatives did. Jesus Christ.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Scientific insight into why Trump supporters often didn't want the truth and perhaps still can't participate in an "informed" discussion and are still manipulated by same techniques as before
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...vering-support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies