Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,789,591 times

Advertisements

Here's the list of the 7 countries:

Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Yemen, Somalia.

Now be for real and stop pretending you are for the refugees or immigrants. How does the ban affect you or people you know?

As a IT Security consultant, I have never done security audits at various financial and even legal firms and never seen one person originated from any of those nations in over 2 decades.

I expect some in the government contractors who may be Iraqi but they should have special government clearance to get through the ban.

Stopping the refugees is a whole different agenda, but I can't think of any American protesting would be deeply affected by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:50 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,793,324 times
There is already a thread on this.

How does Trump's ban on refugees from certain countries affect YOUR life negatively?

As I stated there, it changes the very foundation America was built on.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,789,947 times
Well, since you asked, one example is my doctor. He comes from Iran. What if I had an important appointment with him and he was stuck in customs, being questioned, just because he was born in Iran? He's a very nice, well educated older man who is no risk to this country.

A very competent surgeon I had came from one of those countries too.

These people have been thoroughly checked and vetted.

If they are all properly vetted, then what is the problem? There is much more of a problem with illegals because we don't even know who they are or what their background is.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,611,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
There is already a thread on this.

How does Trump's ban on refugees from certain countries affect YOUR life negatively?

As I stated there, it changes the very foundation America was built on.
Which is...?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM

39,340 posts, read 27,726,584 times
My brother is a combat veteran. My fiance is a combat vet; 90% of my friends are combat vets. They all seem to be happy about this news.

The only concern is that, If a ban is enacted it could impact thousands of American aid workers, contractors and journalists currently working in Iraq, as well as more than 5,000 U.S, military personnel there to aid Iraqi forces in their effort to oust ISIS from Mosul and the country.

Nobody can really predict the future.

I don't think this ban affects me personally. I have 7 friends are active duty Marines. They are in America, not overseas. IF they are overseas, yes, I would worry.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:54 AM

305 posts, read 180,748 times
Just because it doesn't affect me personally doesn't mean it's something I should give a pass to. People being detained while already in our country? It's been done. I remember learning in my High School history class about the Japanese internment camps in my state in the 40's - and it wasn't exactly a point of patriotic pride.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
Just because it doesn't affect me personally doesn't mean it's something I should give a pass to. People being detained while already in our country? It's been done. I remember learning in my High School history class about the Japanese internment camps in my state in the 40's - and it wasn't exactly a point of patriotic pride.
Incorrect. People aren't being detained while already in our country. They were detained at the border, which was OUTSIDE of our country.

The Japanese interment is NOT a good analogy. Apple v.s. Orange. The Japanese at the time were CITIZENS not foreigners outside of our country.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:59 AM

There is no such a thing as zero bug zero defect policy.

Green card holders will not be banned.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My brother is a combat veteran. My fiance is a combat vet; 90% of my friends are combat vets. They all seem to be happy about this news.

The only concern is that, If a ban is enacted it could impact thousands of American aid workers, contractors and journalists currently working in Iraq, as well as more than 5,000 U.S, military personnel there to aid Iraqi forces in their effort to oust ISIS from Mosul and the country.

Nobody can really predict the future.

I don't think this ban affects me personally. I have 7 friends are active duty Marines. They are in America, not overseas. IF they are overseas, yes, I would worry.
Considering it would typically take 5-10 years for a foreigner (tens millions of them) to become a legal immigrant in US, 90-120 days is freaking nothing.

People need to get over it.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Considering it would typically take 5-10 years for a foreigner (tens millions of them) to become a legal immigrant in US, 90-120 days is freaking nothing.

People need to get over it.
Yeah. I would agree with that.

Not sure why you quoted my post though. Mine has nothing to do with yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies