Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:57 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A visa merely gives permission to travel to the entry point. The border agent makes the ultimate decisions (and has the authority) to let a person into the country or not. The visa info that is online makes this perfectly clear, the person issuing the visa may make this clear (they did to me), and they hand a little pamphlet that states this.

There is no "right or entry" into the US, and everyone including US citizens must present proof of status to enter the US.

While everyone now is making some big deal over people being detained at airports, this has been going on for years. It is not uncommon for authorities to detain people, even US citizens (I have been detained) when entering the US. I have been detained twice; once over immigration issues regards to my wife (we were both detained), and once over an enhanced drug search.

I will add; this story does not make sense. The minor children of US citizens are first preference, and it does not take anywhere close to the amount of time claimed in the article. There is more to the story than what the article stated. Perhaps custody issue.
They didn't even make it on the plane, did they?

And yes, the Border Patrol officer makes the final decision, but it is highly unusual for someone to land at a POE with an immigrant visa, and not walk out the airport as a Permanent Resident, which is what status they assume as soon as their immigrant visa is processed at immigration.

People weren't just detained - some were told to leave as their immigrant visa would no longer be honored.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A visa merely gives permission to travel to the entry point. The border agent makes the ultimate decisions (and has the authority) to let a person into the country or not. The visa info that is online makes this perfectly clear, the person issuing the visa may make this clear (they did to me), and they hand a little pamphlet that states this.

There is no "right or entry" into the US, and everyone including US citizens must present proof of status to enter the US.

While everyone now is making some big deal over people being detained at airports, this has been going on for years. It is not uncommon for authorities to detain people, even US citizens (I have been detained) when entering the US. I have been detained twice; once over immigration issues regards to my wife (we were both detained), and once over an enhanced drug search.

I will add; this story does not make sense. The minor children of US citizens are first preference, and it does not take anywhere close to the amount of time claimed in the article. There is more to the story than what the article stated. Perhaps custody issue.
Federal Judge in LA has ruled otherwise...

Finding that the plaintiffs stand a good chance of prevailing when the case is heard in court and are “likely to suffer irreparable harm” if he didn’t act, Birotte instructed that the plaintiffs be allowed entry into the U.S.
Birotte, however, went further, granting a request from the plaintiffs’ lawyers that his ruling be applied to anyone trying to enter the U.S. on a valid immigrant visa from the seven countries included in Trump’s ban..
In other words Trumps EO was illegal. Interesting now whether the Feds will follow the court order as they have apparently ignored others. Lawless conduct?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:00 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
If she is the child of a US Citizen then she wouldn't need a visa to enter, once the paperwork and checks are complete she is automatically a citizen too.

There is more to this story than meets the eye, why would he leave a child overseas for that long?

Why wouldn't he have bought her over so she could attain citizenship at the same time he did ?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:05 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Not clear. He claimed to have been born after they left Somalia. But under any circumstance his upbringing and education was in Pakistan and the US.

One can make a pretty good case that any security list would include Pakistan and Saudi Arabia ahead of any state on the list.
Everything I have read has said the same thing. His family left Somalia in 2007 for Pakistan. I agree that most of his upbringing would have been in Pakistan.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
If she is the child of a US Citizen then she wouldn't need a visa to enter, once the paperwork and checks are complete she is automatically a citizen too. There is more to this story than meets the eye, why would he leave a child overseas for that long? Why wouldn't he have bought her over so she could attain citizenship at the same time he did ?
I'm not sure thars exactly how it works, if she was born on foriegn soil prior to him becoming a citizen.

It says in the article he has petitioned for years for her to get an immigrant visa.

I'm not sure if a minor child is a citizen by decent to a naturalized citizen.

Good question though. I'm going to see if that's the case.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
If she is the child of a US Citizen then she wouldn't need a visa to enter, once the paperwork and checks are complete she is automatically a citizen too.

There is more to this story than meets the eye, why would he leave a child overseas for that long?

Why wouldn't he have bought her over so she could attain citizenship at the same time he did ?
The parents, now both US citizens, were not such when she was born. And I think the big problem occurs when they returned to the US without her. The likely could not bring her in then as she was not a US Citizen and did not have an immigration visa.
As soon as they became US citizens then went after bringing her in. And finally succeeded after years to be thwarted by the Trump EO.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Federal Judge in LA has ruled otherwise...

Finding that the plaintiffs stand a good chance of prevailing when the case is heard in court and are “likely to suffer irreparable harm” if he didn’t act, Birotte instructed that the plaintiffs be allowed entry into the U.S.
Birotte, however, went further, granting a request from the plaintiffs’ lawyers that his ruling be applied to anyone trying to enter the U.S. on a valid immigrant visa from the seven countries included in Trump’s ban..
In other words Trumps EO was illegal. Interesting now whether the Feds will follow the court order as they have apparently ignored others. Lawless conduct?
The judge is only addressing the EO as it relates to specific countries, and the fact it is not the border authority prohibiting the entry of the person.

Fact is the border authority has the authority to deny access to any visa holder. This has been standard policy for who knows how long. When you get your visa (yes, went through this whole thing), they will tell you and hand you a little pamphlet stating that the visa is permission to travel to the port-of-entry, but the border agent makes the determination to let the visa holder in or not.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
The parents, now both US citizens, were not such when she was born. And I think the big problem occurs when they returned to the US without her. The likely could not bring her in then as she was not a US Citizen and did not have an immigration visa.
As soon as they became US citizens then went after bringing her in. And finally succeeded after years to be thwarted by the Trump EO.
They could have started her petition without being citizens. I already told you that. You can petition as a permanent resident, too, which is what they were, prior to becoming citizens. It does change the process a bit, but you're making it falsely sound like they were trying to bring her here since her birth and now - omg! Trump is destroying this family. As another poster pointed out, it was also not a very smart move for the wife to travel outside the US when she was so close to giving birth. No way a parent is that reckless if they're truly concerned about citizenship for their children. This story smells.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:21 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The State Department clearly, in no uncertain terms, states a visa does not guarantee admission.

https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...he-basics.html

You're only embarrassing yourself at this point.
Speaking of embarrassing. Did you read the article? Like the part that she was never allowed to board?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
They could have started her petition without being citizens. I already told you that. You can petition as a permanent resident, too, which is what they were, prior to becoming citizens. It does change the process a bit, but you're making it falsely sound like they were trying to bring her here since her birth and now - omg! Trump is destroying this family. As another poster pointed out, it was also not a very smart move for the wife to travel outside the US when she was so close to giving birth. No way a parent is that reckless if they're truly concerned about citizenship for their children. This story smells.
Actually permanent residents petitioning for family members is an almost futile endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies