Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 03:58 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
84 Lumber deserves a massive boycott and whoever was responsible for the commercial should be fired.
That was an expensive ad, both in production costs and to buy the air time during the Super Bowl. It's almost certain that 84 Lumber is fronting for someone else's agenda. Someone or some organization with deep pockets who put up the money for that.

Can't see how that will work out for 84 Lumber. That ad was a slap in the face to every tradesman whose job was taken by an illegal, and whose wages have been undercut by illegals.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Dumb. Really doubt a construction materials company has a open borders loving customer base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So its an injustice that ILLEGAL Mexican aliens aren't allowed here to take opportunities away from American citizens, including LEGAL immigrants like my parents??????

So its "unjust" to even have a border and not let anyone in????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
And 84 Lumber is especially stupid since its customer base is mostly blue collar Americans.

If it was Starbucks or Prius their base may not care and maybe even embrace it. Yes Chick fil A and Duck Dynasty got into political issues but they know their base. Just like Bruce Springsteen probably lose many fans over his statement like the Dixie Chicks did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
You can go to the 85 lumber.com site and click on "contact" and send them an email telling them how you feel. I told them they lost my business because I support legal immigration and will not do business with a company that is willing to sacrifice our nation's security and economic health.
From 84 Lumber Company via their Facebook page:

Quote:
We do not condone illegal immigration. The spot shines a light on commitment and dedication symbolizing for the struggles we all face. And sometimes, all it takes is one door to open to change our entire world.
Quote:
We do not condone illegal immigration. The journey of the mother and daughter symbolizes grit, dedication, and sacrifice. Characteristics that we look for in our people at 84 Lumber. President Trump has previously said there should be a “big beautiful door in the wall so that people can come into this country legally.” We couldn’t agree more.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
From 84 Lumber Company via their Facebook page:
BS. No one's buying that. It clearly depicted support for illegal immigration. Illegals... the very people who are taking US citizens' jobs in the construction industry. Whoever approved that ad either got played because like many idiots, they stupidly conflate illegal aliens with LEGAL immigrants, or they were paid off. 84 Lumber's pockets aren't deep enough to produce that ad and buy Super Bowl airtime. They didn't do that on their own.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:10 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Nice to see companies having the courage to speak out against the injustices Trump is raining on us. Normally, companies do not do anything that would be controversial , but so many are coming out because they feel that strongly about what is going on.

I think I'll drink some of my Budweiser and order some lumber from 84 Lumber.
I see boycotts and IRS audits coming their way.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:11 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Its funny what people read into things. Neither of these commercial explicitly said, one way or the other, which side of the debate the companies fell on. But you assume it must be the leftist bent. I wonder why that is.
I took the door in the wall to mean that she and her daughter kept looking until they found a legal way, a door to enter the country. The beer guy had his papers when he landed.

Both commercials were stories about how, "The will to succeed is always welcome here."

Seems to me this is a message we could all embrace.

However, I understand that those who believe their chance to succeed was thwarted by immigrants might have a different perspective.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
BS. No one's buying that. It clearly depicted support for illegal immigration. Illegals... the very people who are taking US citizens' jobs in the construction industry. Whoever approved that ad either got played because like many idiots, they stupidly conflate illegal aliens with LEGAL immigrants, or they were paid off. 84 Lumber's pockets aren't deep enough to produce that ad and buy Super Bowl airtime. They didn't do that on their own.
Are you denying that Trump said it?

Donald Trump pledges to build a 'big beautiful door' in the wall he plans to build on the Mexican border

It seems like too many idiots can't connect the dots behind the symbolism of the commercial. They show an American dude happily building the wall (84 Lumber is probably pro-wall) while the Mexican mom and daughter walk across the desert. They are initially stopped by the wall. (wall represents illegal immigration) Then they see Trump's "big, beautiful door" and walk through it into the sunset. (when you immigrate legally, you are welcomed in)

Old 02-06-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I see boycotts and IRS audits coming their way.
Why in heaven's name should that happen?

Old 02-06-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Many construction companies have been forced to use immigrants because American kids are too lazy to do a hard day's labor.
Does that include unemployed black American citizens?

You're saying they're lazy?

Old 02-06-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Are you denying that Trump said it?

Donald Trump pledges to build a 'big beautiful door' in the wall he plans to build on the Mexican border

It seems like too many idiots can't connect the dots behind the symbolism of the commercial. They show an American dude happily building the wall (84 Lumber is probably pro-wall) while the Mexican mom and daughter walk across the desert. They are initially stopped by the wall. (wall represents illegal immigration) Then they see Trump's "big, beautiful door" and walk through it into the sunset. (when you immigrate legally, you are welcomed in)
For LEGAL immigrants. One does NOT need to cross the border in an isolated area in the middle of the desert, as the 84 Lumber ad depicts, when one is a LEGAL immigrant. LEGAL immigrants pass through a port of entry and have their LEGAL paperwork stamped by Immigration, as the Anheuser-Busch ad depicts.

BIG difference.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPo2B-vjZ28
----whole commercial 84 Lumber
Sickening sanctimonious drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies