Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:51 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If we take in X number of terrorists and 1/10000 of X terrorists hold up a convenient mart and steal cigarettes, that'll still make them better neighbors than most natural-born citizens here, so really...

How does one "attack America" anyway?

Does being attacked by a refugee hurt worse than being attacked by the guy whose family has lived down the road from yours since before the Civil War?

Because a bullet from that kid you've known since preschool is gonna hurt just as badly as one from the guy who just moved here 6 months ago, is it not?

I think this is a solution looking for a problem.
WT?

Just WOW.

Lets start with the basics, shall we.

If we allow either illegal aliens or refugees into this country that harm or kill our citizens, that is an abdication of responsibility on the federal governments part. The fed has gotten way too big, and exists well beyond what our Founding Fathers ever wanted. However one of their primary responsibilities is to protect it's citizens.
So you or anyone trying to imply that there is no practical difference between people killed by our own citizens vs. someone who shouldn't be in the country in the first place, misses the point.
It also misses the basic logic of not wanting even one more criminal in our country than we already have anyway with our own criminal citizens.

As to the question you posed, if some sicko goes out and kills some of our citizens because the neighborhood dog told him to do so, that is not an attack on America.
However, if someone who is either a member of ISIS or influenced by them to strike a blow against the "great Satan" is successful, then yes, that is an attack on America.

I don't know if you are liberal, conservative or somewhere in between, but we all should be able to agree on protecting our own citizens against those who would want to indiscriminately harm us. I know and associate with a couple of Muslims who are good people. I also know that the majority of Muslims are not raving jihadists.
However that knowledge does not blind me to the fact that a decent number of Muslims are so fanatical that they will attempt to kill a bunch of people, even if it means they blow themselves up to do it.

Watch this short video to give you an idea of what people like me inherently understand, and hopefully our fellow citizens will eventually come around to thinking before it is too late;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3NzkAOo3s

Food for thought!

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 11:03 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Does being attacked by a refugee hurt worse than being attacked by the guy whose family has lived down the road from yours since before the Civil War?
I can't do anything about the guy living down the road from yours since before the Civil War but I could have kept out the Somali refugee. You follow the logic that we are all going to die anyway. What's the difference?

Old 02-10-2017, 11:06 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
That's why we have vetting.
I bet you have no idea how the vetting is done other than parroting the line that it takes 2 years. What they don't tell you is what they are doing in the 2 years and how much of it is just waiting for a 30-minute interview.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:09 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Dictator says that people fleeing his dictatorship are bad people. Gee...

Old 02-10-2017, 11:35 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Dictator says that people fleeing his dictatorship are bad people. Gee...
Fist we folks supporting, trusting and praising Putin and now Assad... Just how any Russian trolls are there on Internet forums?

Old 02-10-2017, 11:38 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The 911 hijackers weren't properly vetted.

Tell the families vetting isn't important.
Huh? I'm fully in favor of proper vetting.

Where'd you read me saying I'm not?

I'm also in favor of background checks and waiting periods to purchase guns.

I'm big on safety and common sense.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Who was President when they received their visas?

Ouch, that has to sting.

Edit: Oops, you might not know. It was during the Clinton years that 9/11 was planned and financed as well as when the hijackers received their visas and came to the US to train for that mission.
I did not vote for Clinton. Either time.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
WT?

Just WOW.

Lets start with the basics, shall we.

If we allow either illegal aliens or refugees into this country that harm or kill our citizens, that is an abdication of responsibility on the federal governments part. The fed has gotten way too big, and exists well beyond what our Founding Fathers ever wanted. However one of their primary responsibilities is to protect it's citizens.
So you or anyone trying to imply that there is no practical difference between people killed by our own citizens vs. someone who shouldn't be in the country in the first place, misses the point.
It also misses the basic logic of not wanting even one more criminal in our country than we already have anyway with our own criminal citizens.

As to the question you posed, if some sicko goes out and kills some of our citizens because the neighborhood dog told him to do so, that is not an attack on America.
However, if someone who is either a member of ISIS or influenced by them to strike a blow against the "great Satan" is successful, then yes, that is an attack on America.

I don't know if you are liberal, conservative or somewhere in between, but we all should be able to agree on protecting our own citizens against those who would want to indiscriminately harm us. I know and associate with a couple of Muslims who are good people. I also know that the majority of Muslims are not raving jihadists.
However that knowledge does not blind me to the fact that a decent number of Muslims are so fanatical that they will attempt to kill a bunch of people, even if it means they blow themselves up to do it.

Watch this short video to give you an idea of what people like me inherently understand, and hopefully our fellow citizens will eventually come around to thinking before it is too late;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3NzkAOo3s

Food for thought!

`

I care about people. Where they grew up is irrelevant.

I get what you're trying to say here, but I support thorough vetting procedures.

I do NOT support targeting religions or countries.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I can't do anything about the guy living down the road from yours since before the Civil War but I could have kept out the Somali refugee. You follow the logic that we are all going to die anyway. What's the difference?
We are a nation of refugees and immigrants.

Seems weird to slam the door shut on the huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I bet you have no idea how the vetting is done other than parroting the line that it takes 2 years. What they don't tell you is what they are doing in the 2 years and how much of it is just waiting for a 30-minute interview.
So, improve that system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies