Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:39 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,868,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Meh. Lake Erie, the Pacific... Not a hard decision in my mind. Plus FFS, they have an actual sailing season because winters. I've had some great sails around Christmas, hate to miss out on that.

That loss is entirely yours.

Hobby? Hardly call it that. But you're right, good point - one shouldn't expect any niche passions to be catered to in a place like that.

Oh, goodie. I found 3 microbreweries as well, that's decent. Asking for local wine would be unsporting, so I won't.

In all modesty, median income is not my worry. But I kinda need large companies to flex my skillset.

And no kimchee on my taco? You guys are so missing out.

Seriously, it's the difference between a metropol and a city. I'm sure Toledo is nice, and I'd love to visit.
I think that is interesting how people in big cities say that "median income is not a worry", I guess it just shows how out of touch they are.

West Coast liberalism really does take the tone of "not my worry". Eric Garcetti is the "not my worry" mayor.

Thousands of homeless, areas reeking of urine, sidewalks blocked from sleeping tents in the middle of downtown is "not their worry" to the Los Angeles city council.

I am conservative, but I have to say at least Boston, New York and the east coast liberal establishment spends some of the wasted tax payer dollar to actually help those get back on their feet. Los Angeles and San Francisco liberalism is very weird in my opinion and ignores every social issue.

Even the elite are stepping in human waste just to grab a bite to eat at lunch and yet they ignore it and then they claim they are for social justice.

Social justice is people having a nice apartment to call their own on minimum wage in Toledo not tens of thousands of people living in tents like what Garcetti's vision of social justice is.

The out of touch elite mentality is the reason why the South and Midwest elect the president of the United States and can vote a bloc and drown out any political prowess of California.

Most people in middle-America are not fixated on kimchee, micobreweries and opera. It is basically the wealthy, connected elite in a few select areas of West Los Angeles.

I do think it is nice that those who enjoy kimchee, wine and opera stay concentrated in liberal cities and liberal states that vote a certain way. That pretty much ensures that people who enjoy church, BBQ and non-materialistic values decide who ever controls the presidency and United States senate and house.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 02-12-2017 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM

420 posts, read 704,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

And no kimchee on my taco? You guys are so missing out.
Unfortunately, here in Columbus, Ohio you can get kimchi on your taco.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:06 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
DUH, the west-coast probably has the nicest weather in the country............Toledo, not so much.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:07 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I think that is interesting how people in big cities say that "median income is not a worry", I guess it just shows how out of touch they are.

West Coast liberalism really does take the tone of "not my worry". Eric Garcetti is the "not my worry" mayor.

Thousands of homeless, areas reeking of urine, sidewalks blocked from sleeping tents in the middle of downtown is "not their worry" to the Los Angeles city council.

I am conservative, but I have to say at least Boston, New York and the east coast liberal establishment spends some of the wasted tax payer dollar to actually help those get back on their feet. Los Angeles and San Francisco liberalism is very weird in my opinion and ignores every social issue.

Even the elite are stepping in human waste just to grab a bite to eat at lunch and yet they ignore it and then they claim they are for social justice.

Social justice is people having a nice apartment to call their own on minimum wage in Toledo not tens of thousands of people living in tents like what Garcetti's vision of social justice is.

The out of touch elite mentality is the reason why the South and Midwest elect the president of the United States and can vote a bloc and drown out any political prowess of California.

Most people in middle-America are not fixated on kimchee, micobreweries and opera. It is basically the wealthy, connected elite in a few select areas of West Los Angeles.

I do think it is nice that those who enjoy kimchee, wine and opera stay concentrated in liberal cities and liberal states that vote a certain way. That pretty much ensures that people who enjoy church, BBQ and non-materialistic values decide who ever controls the presidency and United States senate and house.

Translation: Yeah my thread is an embarrassing gigantic failure but... Trump won the presidency. So there!

Lame.

Anyway, I look forward to the "Antarctica vs Los Angeles" thread I'm sure you have cooking up. Since you have such a strong grasp of supply and demand, and all.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:09 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That only serves to prove there is a tremendous difference in Cost-of-Living throughout the US.

It's also proves that the federal government's one-size-fits-all approach is a total failure.

Two families of four, each receiving $400/month in Food Stamps. The problem is that $400 buys....

$578.13 worth of food in Cincinnati.
$210.23 worth of food in San Fransisco

....due to the differences in Cost-of Living.

Liberals perpetuate this gross injustice and harm Americans.

I live in a low COL area and this is why welfare fraud and disability fraud is so much more common here. Where I live someone on disability who also works part time makes enough for an apartment and decent used car. In fact in some areas where a large percent of residents are on some type of govt. program housing is priced down to the average payout ($800 to $1000). You can rent a house for $400 a month in rural Kentucky. High COL liberal areas get hosed big time because the govt. doesn't weight transfer payments for COL.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:12 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh wow, that's it, Im packing my bags and leaving for Toledo now...SAID NO ONE EVER.
They usually end up in places like Arizona. I don't think so. I know so.

Anyway indeed, the weather in California does pump up the FIRE sector quite a bit. If people actually knew that such a situation tends to suck the wealth out of them in the lower classes, they just might move to Toledo. Rule of thumb. Own the land in such places or find a way to avoid the onerous rate of the FIRE sector , like Mexicans do for example. Otherwise if you are not part of the landed classes move to where their is less demand real estate. Otherwise you will be much closer to subsistence.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:13 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That only serves to prove there is a tremendous difference in Cost-of-Living throughout the US.

It's also proves that the federal government's one-size-fits-all approach is a total failure.

Two families of four, each receiving $400/month in Food Stamps. The problem is that $400 buys....

$578.13 worth of food in Cincinnati.
$210.23 worth of food in San Fransisco

....due to the differences in Cost-of Living.

Liberals perpetuate this gross injustice and harm Americans.

Yes liberals like the poor...like pets I suppose.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:14 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Toledo is a s****e, who would want to live there?
Los Angeles is 50 times worse.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
DUH, the west-coast probably has the nicest weather in the country............Toledo, not so much.
And having been to both and agreeing about the weather.... I'd still rather live in Toledo.....

Old 02-12-2017, 06:17 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Los Angeles is 50 times worse.
Right-wingers and their witty comebacks.

Fun fact: the Los Angeles MSA has an economy twice the size of Ohio. As in, the entire friggin state.

Maybe that's why LA has a 2.7% vacancy rate and places like Toledo resemble less cheery-looking versions of Chernobyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies