Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:30 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,332,449 times

Advertisements

35% of millennial young men live with their parents!

"For men ages 18 to 34, living at home with mom and/or dad has been the dominant living arrangement since 2009. In 2014, 28% of young men were living with a spouse or partner in their own home, while 35% were living in the home of their parent"

In 2014, for the first time in more than 130 years, adults ages 18 to 34 were slightly more likely to be living in their parents’ home than they were to be living with a spouse or partner in their own household." This article was last year and stats from 2014 but I doubt it has changed much

For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangements for 18- to 34-Year-Olds | Pew Research Center

I wonder if gaming and growing up with computers and social media has really made socializing into adults much harder. The numbers are shocking for young men still living with parents

graph from wikimedia commons

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:52 PM

12 posts, read 20,825 times
They can't earn enough to live on their own. It's one reason why lots of people in Davos should be talking about how to avert a war of some kind. We're headed toward massive violence if this isn't addressed.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:00 PM

305 posts, read 180,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minerfolda View Post
They can't earn enough to live on their own. It's one reason why lots of people in Davos should be talking about how to avert a war of some kind. We're headed toward massive violence if this isn't addressed.
I'm fairly left leaning, and I don't buy that.

I managed to move out on my own at 19, I barely made enough to live on my own, without roommates, but I managed. Worst apartment in the most dangerous area of town, and every said I should move back in with my parents until I could afford better. But I knew what I wanted, so I made it work.

If they really wanted to make it work, they would.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
If you look at the graph, it is due mostly to people not getting married.

The rise in people living with parents has been fairly modest.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
The jobs are gone, what you expecting. There's a lack of opportunity . My nephew graduated from college - his 2 best friends got jobs overseas. He took a job, but I was shocked it was not really what my sis paid all tha college money for. Carnegie Mellon grads no where to go

Old 01-18-2017, 06:19 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

going from 20 to 30 percent in 15 years isn't modest.

The non recovery has consequences. When one has a job that doesn't pay much, living with parents makes sense. No big deal that the household income has gone up. More people are living with their parents because the economy isn't good.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:24 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,332,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

If you look at the graph of young people and marriage from the 1960s its quite a huge drop especially for women, but for men as well. This is now the largest generation in America right now , I don't think it really bodes well for the future if you have 35% of 18-34 year old men living at home, or the present economy.

I moved in with my parents after college and I was in hell,serious depression every day I pulled up to that house and went down to my old room in the basement. I did it for close to 1 year. I couldnt get out fast enough, how does a 30 year old man stand living with his parents, unless you have to take care of a parent.

Getting a roommate and living somewhere is affordable for almost anyone I would think, or a studio unless you are in some place like manhattan or san fran

Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
going from 20 to 30 percent in 15 years isn't modest.
20 to 30% in 15 years is modest.

It is about where it was prior to WWII

Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
This is the internet generation. The world comes to your bedroom.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 PM

12 posts, read 20,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
I'm fairly left leaning, and I don't buy that.

I managed to move out on my own at 19, I barely made enough to live on my own, without roommates, but I managed. Worst apartment in the most dangerous area of town, and every said I should move back in with my parents until I could afford better. But I knew what I wanted, so I made it work.

If they really wanted to make it work, they would.
I challenge you to live in the middle Kansas and do the same.

And there's the rub, there are two Americas. An urban with some level of income, and a rural class dying. The rural class elected Trump they are so bad off.

I don't say it lightly, nor wish it, but we (as in the west) are headed for a showdown and it won't be pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies