Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
It is possible that people from those areas will turn against Trump. That doesn't mean that those folks won't remain conservative. Indeed, many solid Republicans do not like Trump: some think he isn't conservative enough; others think he's a nut; others think he isn't properly religious; etc.

And truly, Trump is more of a populist and nationalist than a "conservative." The divisions within the party during the campaign highlighted that quite well.

There have been quite a few protests at town halls, etc. led by Republicans who do not like how certain things are going. Many Republicans do in fact like having health care, and others want to see certain programs such as Social Security, Medicare, etc. remain in place and not become victims of privatization.

It's a myth to suggest that all Republicans or conservatives espouse the very same views.

I think Liberals are only looking to exploit some of these divisions for temporary alliances based on issues. I don't think most Liberals really believe that most red-staters are going to do an ideological 180.

There are plenty of left-leaning retirees, too, so places like Miami-Ft. Lauderdale will likely remain moderate or slightly left-leaning. Many retirees of various stripes have been heading to North Carolina and other traditionally "red" states. The result has been an infusion of more Liberals in hitherto staunchly conservative areas. Another result has been the diversification of conservatives: conservative retirees from the Northeast and other areas are very different in key respects from traditional conservatives born and raised in places like NC.

No, they don't trash talk them. Dems have had a strong role in the Upper Midwest especially, but Trump's populism won over this time. Upper Midwest Dems have always been more moderate compared to the Coasts.

I don't know too many Liberals who fantasize that. I think most realize that Texas is overall staunchly conservative.

Yes and no. The Dems' base is on the Coasts, for sure, but Dems have a big role in Colorado/NM, and there are still many old-school moderate Dems in the Upper Midwest. There are also legacy Dem minorities in some red states in the South.

But also: the coasts have the bulk of the nation's population. The mostly-red interior may be a lot of land mass, but the population isn't overwhelming. The electoral college privileges the land mass, but ultimately, it's the people themselves who really matter.

So that proves that heartland, rural folks can be just as close-minded and provincial as liberal urban elites.

Liberals, just like most people in general, are products of their environment: they can be just as parochial as anyone.

But no: Many Liberals love to visit the beauty of the Rockies and other heartland parks; may Liberals love ski communities as found in Utah and Colorado; Liberals have discovered Flagstaff, Tucson, Santa Fe, and many other interior communities; quite a few Liberals love Minneapolis, Madison, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and other places besides Chicago.

It is true that many Liberals are dismissive of "flyover country," but many aren't.

No, they have a good idea. That's why some of these folks don't travel to the heartland, or only pick specific places where they might feel more aligned.

In fact, you may be amazed to know that many Liberals in LA and SF are actually originally from "ordinary" places like Nebraska and Tennessee, yet wanted to get away to a place more to their liking. In the SF Bay Area, it's getting harder and harder to find locally-born people. Most seem to be from other places.
Exactly. I'm in a coastal city (Jacksonville) that used to be fairly bright red due to a combination of Southern/military influence, but now that there are more jobs and opportunities here and the cost of living is low for a coastal lifestyle, many people from "ordinary" cities are moving here to find jobs. The city is slowly turning more blue and came closer to voting for Hillary than they've ever done in the past for a democratic presidential candidate.

There is a struggle here because the older, more conservative folks are annoyed by the changes they've seen, but we need progress like a Human Rights Ordinance in order to get the big events, bigger companies, etc to be attracted to the city and bring in the money. The reality is that liberals will find other than just the standard (expensive) cities and start to turn them more blue because they've been priced out of other communities. I'm more liberal and people ask why I came here, but it's changing slowly and I like what this city has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:41 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No one disputes this. The coasts feel the same way about flyover country. This is not news. We just need to find a way not to fund them. We want our tax dollars benefiting us, not red states.
lol

Sure... you keep your money. We will keep the dams, the farms, ranches, etc...

CA thinks it is better than its rural areas, but the rural areas provide all the water, electricity, and food.

No worries though, you don't need us, all your food comes from the super market right?

Old 02-21-2017, 05:44 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I love reading all these stories about how people in rural areas and exurban areas will turn against Trump.

Other then a few university towns in rural areas, middle-America is solidly Republican and there is nothing that the Republicans can do to change that.

The liberal media goes to the most liberal towns and tries to track down liberals. Most of these network reporters went to private coastal journalism colleges and they don't know the heartland lifestyle.

Just because of a small protest at a meeting in Utah and a college demonstration here and there, the Midwest and South are getting more and more Republican by the day and they control the electoral votes.

Florida is getting more and more conservative retirees, going from purple to red. The retirees are flocking to places like Sarasota, Punta Gorda and Melbourne turning Florida which guarentees a Republican advantage.

The Democrats trash-talk the South and Midwest and could hardly even win Minnesota this time around, never mind Trump landslides in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

The liberals fantasize about Texas becoming Democratic but it will be decades and decades more at least.

The Democrats need to realize that Democrat party is a coastal party. Rural areas, the south and midwest are more and more Republican.

I have lived in the heartland, middle-America and on the plains and they despise and joke about the coasts and their values.

I lived in Nebraska and Dave Heinemann along with many other middle-American governors loved to trash-talk the coastal elites and lifestyle.

Many liberals on the coasts would never visit middle-America except Chicago or for a day or two business trip.

Liberals in Los Angeles and San Francisco really have no idea about much at odds their value system and mentality is with people in the heartland.
Florida is getting more and more conservative retirees, going from purple to red. The retirees are flocking to places like Sarasota, Punta Gorda and Melbourne turning Florida which guarentees a Republican advantage.

from a native --GO HOME- maybe we need a hurricane season to scare em off-- go to Arizona or someplace--

Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

from a native --GO HOME- maybe we need a hurricane season to scare em off-- go to Arizona or someplace--
I as an Arizonan for now, don't want more Reich wingers either. AZ has been getting less red every year with the exception of a couple suburban strongholds in Greater Phoenix.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:06 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
lol

Sure... you keep your money. We will keep the dams, the farms, ranches, etc...

CA thinks it is better than its rural areas, but the rural areas provide all the water, electricity, and food.

No worries though, you don't need us, all your food comes from the super market right?

Outside of the large urban centers and a short drive from the beach most of CA is really conservative. Farms, ranches and countryside.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:31 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Outside of the large urban centers and a short drive from the beach most of CA is really conservative. Farms, ranches and countryside.
I find it funny how Trump supporters think they are the only ones that can farm. Blue cities are huge with local farming and they also can buy their food globally. I can buy tropical fruit in December from Costco that comes from South America. If Trump supporters in flyover country don't have us buying their food, they can sell to each other buy our money spends around the world in addition to the local seafood. As for countryside, we have plenty and it is green and beautiful. We don't expect the heartland to join and we don't want them to either, the country is very divided.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:39 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
As someone whose family immigrated here and lived only in big coastal cities, I feel like I don't have a clue how heartland America lives.

I kind of want to visit a small town in the South or rust belt for a week, rent an Airbnb and pretend like I live there for 2 weeks (I can work remotely from anywhere).

I've travelled to over 20 countries and all continents except for Antarctica in an effort to understand other countries.

But I know I don't understand much of mine.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I really do want to do this sometime. I live in a bubble, and I want to understand what the reality is like in most of the country. It might unlock a deeper understanding of things that I might currently judge. Though I certainly don't expect to understand everything in just 2 weeks.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 02-21-2017 at 11:57 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 AM

185 posts, read 169,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I have lived in the heartland, middle-America and on the plains and they despise and joke about the coasts and their values.

I lived in Nebraska and Dave Heinemann along with many other middle-American governors loved to trash-talk the coastal elites and lifestyle.
So looking down on and trash-talking millions of people based on where they live is a good thing?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Whatever Trump does or doesn't do, I don't care. I just love that with Trump, flyover country has no one to blame for their unemployment, etc. He better find a way to give them jobs because they seem to consider education "elitist". The coasts will just keep moving forward and ignoring them. If anything, the election of Trump will serve to divide the country further because there is absolutely no motivation to work with him or the middle of the country and both sides feel equally about the other.
Republicans in fly-over country don't consider "education" elitist. They value education.

They consider many so called EDUCATORS elitists. Our public schools and universities are brimming with self righteous, bull horn carrying Leftist hacks who are less about actual education than they are about indoctrination.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Republicans in fly-over country don't consider "education" elitist. They value education.

They consider many so called EDUCATORS elitists. Our public schools and universities are brimming with self righteous, bull horn carrying Leftist hacks who are less about actual education than they are about indoctrination.

Don't know your situation, but I do love on CD how it appears all these posters without advanced degrees seem to be so plugged in to what is going on in academia and on campuses across the country....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies