Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I find it interesting politically partially since Asians don't bow down to the Democrats and the Democrats seem to ignore them. Once blacks and hispanics realize the Democrats only give a #### about them for votes. They might finally start to see the light. Also I think racisim and stereotypes of or against Asians is more accepted compared to blacks and hispanics. So yeah I think that's bs.

They are generally more under the radar and not as "loud", and there is less of them. So things may infuriate them, you just don't realize it because they're not on CNN with an Asian Al Sharpton talking about how Asians are stereotyped.
At the end of the day....politics is a BUSINESS and their revenue stream are VOTES and winning elections is their PROFIT. You act as if the Republican party is running a NON-PROFIT and hence are not in it for the votes....but because they really care about you. NOT! If Republicans think like you do....then its the republican voters who are the fools. Wait.......I already knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:41 AM

49 posts, read 53,888 times
Not sure how true it is but I heard before that Africans from Africa don't really like black americans.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:58 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Not sure how true it is but I heard before that Africans from Africa don't really like black americans.
Likely because living around whites for 4 centuries changed AA....and made them different.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:25 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I find it interesting politically partially since Asians don't bow down to the Democrats and the Democrats seem to ignore them. Once blacks and hispanics realize the Democrats only give a #### about them for votes. They might finally start to see the light. Also I think racisim and stereotypes of or against Asians is more accepted compared to blacks and hispanics. So yeah I think that's bs.

They are generally more under the radar and not as "loud", and there is less of them. So things may infuriate them, you just don't realize it because they're not on CNN with an Asian Al Sharpton talking about how Asians are stereotyped.
I find it interesting that Asian Americans appear to be drifting away from the Republican Party...
Breibart Report: Asian-Americans Drifting from Republican Party
NY Times : Donald Trump Is Seen as Helping Push Asian-Americans Into Democratic Arms
NBC News: Clinton Won the Asian-American Vote, But Some Swing States Turned Toward Trump -- Exit Poll

Of course, there are a few "loud" Asian Americans that go "against the grain"...
I'm Asian, a woman and a proud Trump 'deplorable' | Fox News

Old 02-22-2017, 12:34 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I also get the bold from these exchanges.

People who bring up Asians want black people to shut up lol.

As a black person, I won't allow them though to pit me against any Asian American because I grew up with refugee Asian Americans and I know they had the same issues to deal with that I had and most of them today have a worse life than I have today financially and on other measures.

I also feel that most Asian Americans, like desert detroiter mentioned, don't even partake in these sorts of discussions except a select few. I have only entertained these discussions about the supposed superiority of Asian Americans from white Americans and a random Asian Indian (who was put down by another Asian Indian so I didn't even have to say anything) and a Chinese immigrant who immigrated as an adult to this country. So I didn't even consider them a Chinese American really. Most Chinese in China aren't doing all that well either so she wasn't one to talk IMO and I told her as such and that did shut her up.

Many of the Koreans I knew via organizations and my employees a few years ago, especially the Millenial Asian Americans, they were much more vocal about bias and racism they faced in society and the workplace and at school versus older Asian Americans I interacted with. They also told me that the outspoken-ness of "black culture" is something they felt was needed within the Asian American demographic because many of their issues relating to poverty, education(for the Asian refugee communities), and housing costs are things that too often are overlooked. All Asians, even the Hmnong or Khmer are thought of as "successful" when they are some of the poorest groups of Americans in this country with very low educational achievement even though they have two parent homes. It is good IMO that many of them are being more outspoken because once I learned of their issues, I agree that they are ignored. Asian Indians IMO are more vocal than many SE Asian immigrant communities as are Arabs (Middle Easterners). Asian Indians are many times thought of as "Muslims" and are stereotyped as terrorists like Arabs and so I feel that that is a driving force for them to have a louder voice along with the fact that both Arabs and Asian Indians are some of the more successful Asian immigrant groups.
I can relate to that. Whenever I hear such comments, I'm often dumbfounded of what to say. I can tell it's just a way of thumbing one's nose at Blacks.

Personally, I've rarely heard any Asians bring up the "model minority" thing. While most are likely not interested, some take advantage of that. There are a few who look at being the "model minority" as advantageous, and use it to move up socially.

And your last paragraph made me think of some things. The whole "not being outspoken", it did lead to some misconceptions on my part as a kid. When one doesn't speak out, you never know what is up. There is a saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". The issue of gangs and poverty does get ignored when it comes to Asians.

"Model minority" is really just used downplay racism/be subtlely racist at the same time. It is used to ignore certain issues.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:36 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Fukumoto may leave Hawaii GOP, cites reaction to her Trump criticism

Old 02-22-2017, 12:47 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
And all of this proves one thing about the "model minority" stereotype. It is stupid, and it is used to look down on others. It goes back to something I mentioned. There are those who will use "model minority" not to big-up Asians, but to disparage Blacks. In this case, it's "why can't you vote more like Asians vote"? My answer to that is "because I vote for who I want to vote for". It goes back to complaining about who Blacks vote for.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
One thing I have found interesting is that no matter how many topics there are about minorities, what issues they are dealing with or face Asians are rarely discussed. Why is that? And what is different that has made it so they are so successful in comparison to other minorities?

Its called the Oppression Olympics and Asians tend not to participate. So many Asians put their heads down, work and succeed that they no longer are looked at like they need help.
In fact in terms of college admissions they are held accountable for success and have harder standards to get into top flight schools.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:53 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Not to worry Nazis, Im sure Steve Bannon is carefully crafting a scheme to scapegoat Asians soon.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Lots of immigrant groups don't like black Amercans based on consuming a lot of media and cinema from America that is filled with stereotypes about us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies