Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Huh? I'm responding to your "is it fair that..." statement. "Fairness" is irrelevant. Government should not be in the business of adjudicating what's "fair" or "fairness."

So you're attempting to use an appeal to math to show that something's not "fair" because x is a big number. I'm saying the entire concept of "fair" should never even enter this arena.
Exactly. That's "emoting," not THINKING.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:09 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Maybe because you can't even explain.

Minimum wage is like raping everybody - nobody benefits except for the Chinese across the pond.

Yes, it is that stupid.
Funny how Trump supporters like the idea of no minimum wage. Its a dream scenario for employers who will push their puppets in Congress to flood the country with people from the third world to work those $1 an hour jobs.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:10 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Have you 3 taken a course on the Philosophy of Economics?
I have enough credits in economics to have a Bachelor's degree. As long ago as 2002 (when I was much more into economics) I was a writer for a Movable Type blog called Catallarchy where we explored a range of topics from a classical liberal and Austrian School viewpoint. I was one of the culture writers.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm a conservative and I want everyone to have everything.

But I want them to earn it and pay for it themselves.

[I am, however, leaning towards single-payer health because insurance companies are complete evil and really can't be trusted with anything as important as health care.]

There are many times in my life that I have wanted something that I could not have it because I could not afford it. That includes children, a house, a car, and many other things. I waited and worked and saved until I could afford to do these things and had the time for them. I paid off loans. I worked 80-100 hour weeks.

It's called being a grown-up.

I'm okay with a progressive tax system, as well. The same dollar means different things to different people.
What you're espousing is what I view as a "traditionally conservative" attitude. I agree with this type of thinking, too.

I do want people to earn their way.

I do want people to be ABLE to earn their way.

I also agree re: single-payer, because insurance companies are like legalized mafia at this point.

Also, I think the tax system needs an overhaul because we cannot wave a magic wand and get rid of income inequality. Some jobs are just worth more value to our current society than others.

We CAN make sure that people are not unduly burdened by taxes, though.

It might not hurt my family to pay X percentage in taxes (or even more), but it could really hurt the family down the road to pay what they are required to pay.

I would rather they pay less and get to use their money to pay their way in their day-to-day lives instead of hitting them for more, then creating a social program and paying a lot of money to have people administer it, just to give them back what was taken in taxes.

It's wasteful spending, and that's something that fiscal conservatives dislike.

A program to get people to the point that they can better earn their way? I am all for that. It's an investment in our ENTIRE society.

Throwing money at a problem without trying to solve it? Ridiculous. Wasteful.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I was using it as an example. Replace STEM with anything.

But I literally just proved to you my point, you can starve someone and being skillful has no relationship to marketability. If you have some STEM major that has no application to the marketplace, then is it skillful?
Not sure what you prove. Nobody can starve another person legally. If STEM is not profitable, people find other ways.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:12 PM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times
Quote:
Maybe because you can't even explain.

Minimum wage is like raping everybody - nobody benefits except for the Chinese across the pond.

Yes, it is that stupid.
Ok, maybe I'm ignorant...but why is a minimum wage a bad thing? Is requiring a company to pay someone $7.50/hr really a bad thing? Is $7.50/hr even a livable wage? Are we arguing that companies should be allowed to pay people less then $7.50/hr? I honestly don't understand how paying someone a wage that cant even pay for housing is equivalent to rape.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:14 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Ok, maybe I'm ignorant...but why is a minimum wage a bad thing? Is requiring a company to pay someone $7.50/hr really a bad thing? Is $7.50/hr even a livable wage? Are we arguing that companies should be allowed to pay people less then $7.50/hr? I honestly don't understand how paying someone a wage that cant even pay for housing is equivalent to rape.
How is putting a gun on your head and forcing you to pay me a certain amount in any way a good thing?

It violates every human decency here.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:14 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Not sure what you prove. Nobody can starve another person legally. If STEM is not profitable, people find other ways.
I proved that the valuation provided by the market has no relationship to one's skill.

If the market wants something, people need to have the right skills to be paid period, however this does not mean other skills are completely useless if they cannot be marketable.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:16 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
How is putting a gun on your head and forcing you to pay me a certain amount in any way a good thing?

It violates every human decency here.
And so does paying people slave wages to the point where they starve. I don't see your point.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Minimum Wage. The problem conservatives have with it, is that there is a balance that liberals don't get. You cannot arbitrarily raise the wage just because it feels good. These are entry level jobs and the rise to 15 which is completely arbitrary will affect everyone because do you think the apprentice electrician who is now making 15 will be happy that the no skill laborer is making 15. It will trickle up quickly. Then you will have employers offering few jobs and what has been a right of passage for teenagers will dry up.

Redistribution of wealth is inherently unfair. Right now the top 50% of wager earners pay ALL of the income taxes in the US. Right now. So lets be honest and say you just want them to pay more, not their fair share which they already do.

Commons - Are fine, just not when the beauracracies get out of hand and the costs don't equal output.

Unions - become corrupt very quickly and almost universally. Would you be surprised to know that in California the teachers union spends more on lobbying than oil, health and high tech....combined!

Healthcare - is important obviously but conservatives do not see it as a right. Meaning you don't have the right to someone elses services without pay. We are all for excellent healthcare, but not the socialized kind.
Some companies are finding that raising wages actually benefits the company. Why not more of them?

Top 8 Companies Raising the Minimum Wage (MCD, SBUX) | Investopedia

Quote:
All of these companies reported improved customer service, happier workers, savings and more professional candidates seeking to work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies