Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:18 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I love how people blow this off as no big deal. SHOW ME the RESULTS of what you're talking about.

Unless you're the 2% getting scholarships, grants, etc you are not getting a 80-90% discount.

I wonder what planet people are living on sometimes.

Heads are in the clouds.
Here's your proof. There are many articles, many web sites about this. Hopefully you didn't discourage someone from applying at a private university due to your misunderstanding on how common discounts are given and how large the discounts are. A lot of people don't realize this.

I have 2 family members attending an expensive private university right now. Both are getting approx 80% discount from the listed price. Some schools give more than others. There are many web sites that list the typical discounts for each college.

Private colleges have endowments and they are able to use the endowments to give discounts to students.

These web sites explain.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...tion-discounts

The average discount rate for first-time, full-time freshmen at private, nonprofit colleges was 48.6 percent for the 2015-2016 school year ..Around 88 percent of all full-time freshmen at these private colleges receive some form of institutional grant, and the average size of that award covers about 56 percent of the average tuition price...

For the most part, the schools that offer tuition discounts are "middle-tier" schools that charge $50,000 or $60,000 sticker prices, says Blontz from Financial Aid Coach, who adds many of these schools meet around 60 to 100 percent of need.

Private Colleges Offering Record-High Tuition Discounts - Fastweb
only 11 percent of students pay the full “sticker” or published tuition amount.

Last edited by sware2cod; 02-26-2017 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 07:27 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
Got a Computer Science degree from Temple for a fraction of that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sarah Lawrence was ranked 59th best liberal arts college by US News World Report last year. The list of notable alumni that attended the college has many very famous names especially in the fields of entertainment.

The college also offers degrees in biology, chemistry, computer science, physics.

Those who can afford it, will attend it. It's certainly not a junk degree like something from a for profit university, and the brand is certainly worth something.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:05 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I never understood why students aren't protesting on campus the cost of their own university instead of yelling at politicians. Picket your professors and administrators if you think tuition is too high. The freshmen are probably being taught by a bunch of graduate students, anyway, so why don't the freshmen get a discount on tuition?
Why would you picket professors? They don't set the prices. And students are protesting the cost of universities - - that's why they were largely for Bernie Sanders.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Got a Computer Science degree from Temple for a fraction of that price.
Maybe you did, but what's the hook? Because Temple Univetsity ain't cheap...it's just public.

But let's not get it confused. Temple IS NOT Sarah Lawrence by any stretch of the imagination. Not even close. They don't inhabit the same social, academic and political universe.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:45 PM

9,884 posts, read 7,217,312 times
A liberal arts college - which the vast majority of the colleges and universities are - offer studies in many disciplines. Liberal arts today is focused on literature, philosophy, mathematics, and social and physical sciences - basically anything not having to do with professional, vocational, or technical training.

My son is attending a top 25 nationally ranked liberal arts college and majoring in bio-chem with a pre-med track. His roommate is an computer science engineering major. What this liberal arts college requires is that they both spend time taking courses in the humanities so they can learn the writing, communication, analytic, and data skills that will help them succeed in their chosen careers.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
A liberal arts college - which the vast majority of the colleges and universities are - offer studies in many disciplines. Liberal arts today is focused on literature, philosophy, mathematics, and social and physical sciences - basically anything not having to do with professional, vocational, or technical training.

My son is attending a top 25 nationally ranked liberal arts college and majoring in bio-chem with a pre-med track. His roommate is an computer science engineering major. What this liberal arts college requires is that they both spend time taking courses in the humanities so they can learn the writing, communication, analytic, and data skills that will help them succeed in their chosen careers.
A good liberal arts education should be the foundation of any undergraduate syllabus.

Nowadays, its popular to denigrate the liberal arts.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A good liberal arts education should be the foundation of any undergraduate syllabus.

Nowadays, its popular to denigrate the liberal arts.

There is a good reason for that.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:54 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
These high dollar liberal arts schools are actually an example of a liberal utopia. The rich pay full freight to have their kids go there and are often tapped for hefty donations as well. Those of lesser means get scholarships paid by the high tuition and donations of the wealthy.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:12 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Have to admit my first thought was sarah Lawrence was a fine arts degree. Not very practical.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
My beloved alma mater is approaching those tuition levels. 5 years ago at my reunion, one of the big questions we all asked was, "Is it worth it?" Most were not sure.

I majored in Political Science. Did not do me much good. Not saying that applies to everybody. I went on an earned an MBA.

College is what you make of it, but you need to have a plan. Maybe 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies