Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

There is one other thing no one is thinking about. Gentrification.

NYC has undergone a rapid gentrification. Because of this, alot of people have been pushed out of the city. Many end up in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, some go leave the northeast altogether. Gangs have spread to other states. With NYC going through so many changes, the bad areas have been shrinking. NYC is so expensive that many of the poor just leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
NYC is 307 square miles and has over 46,000 law enforcement officers. 152 / square mile. There is probably a cop within a few blocks of any crime committed and they still have 'stop and frisk'.

Chicago is 234 square miles and 12,000 officers. 51 / square mile and they're told to not stop people.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:41 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg
The constant influx of immigrants brings it down. I'm sure there are many other reasons but this is a big one.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/2...nts-crime.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I knew somebody would come up with this crackpot of an answer but didn't expect it to be the second post. Let make take a wild guess. You are against the wall too.
...not an entirely crackpot answer. Recent immigrants to New York are significantly less homicidal than the older Puerto Rican immigrant and native black populations which they have pushed out and replaced to some extent.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:42 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,244,932 times
I remember when crime used to be bad here. You could never walk through Central Park at night without taking your life into your hands. The 70s and 80s were pretty bad. Crime seemed to be at its peak under Dinkins, and right to wrong, he was seen as soft on crime.

As a result, hardliner Rudy Giuliani was elected. He literally transformed the city. Before his reign, NYC was much more gritty than it is now. He got rid of all the sex shops and the stores that sold switchblades and other various weapons on 42nd street and completely Disneyfide it. He got the homeless off the streets and got the squeegee guys away from the bridges and tunnels. He also reallocated police and took them out of cushy positions and locations, and put them out on the streets where they were needed. .

Some New Yorkers hate the way he changed the city. They liked it grittier and not so gentrified. I don't get that. I think it is so much nicer now.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:42 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is one other thing no one is thinking about. Gentrification.

NYC has undergone a rapid gentrification. Because of this, alot of people have been pushed out of the city. Many end up in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, some go leave the northeast altogether. Gangs have spread to other states. With NYC going through so many changes, the bad areas have been shrinking. NYC is so expensive that many of the poor just leave.

Many from the Pocono region of PA would have no arguments with your theories:

https://www.trulia.com/voices/Crime_...o_Count-391897

Gangs find shelter in Pocono communities - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA

String of Violence for Pocono Mountain Regional Police | WNEP.com

Are the Poconos a safe place to live?

It is amazing at how fast the Pocono and other close areas of PA have gone down hill thanks to high crime resulting from an influx of transplants/commuters largely from New York and parts of NJ.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:57 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
New York State and City have and has had gangs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westies

THE LORD'S OF HELL'S KITCHEN - NYTimes.com

Street gangs in New York City | StreetGangs.Com

Gangs of NYC and how close you live to them ? INTERACTIVE MAP | NY Daily News

Police bust members of violent, drug-dealing Queens gang | New York Post

Illegal immigrants from MS-13 gang arrested for teens’ murders | New York Post

New York is safer without illegal-immigrant gangsters — no thanks to the mayor | New York Post

Gang member indicted for murder of basketball star | New York Post

And so it goes...

In the past you found gangs (Irish, Jewish, Puerto Rican, Italian, African American, Latino, etc..) concentrated in poor areas that were largely ghettos or slums. The gangs had the same functions they did elsewhere in the world when you have a populace that poor and little ways out of that mess.

The waves of urban renewal sought to displace gangs and other ills associated with slum housing/tenement living by putting up new housing. It didn't take long but such "public housing" became often infested with the same gang behavior.

Like the Sicilian Mafia most of the "white" European centric gangs have learned to avoid bloodshed, violence and whatever especially when it involves innocent bystanders. It does nothing but bring down the "heat" and makes operations difficult.

These new gangs run by African Americans, Latinos/Hispanics often simply do not care. The Latino/Hispanic ones increasingly are coming out of certain South American countries (San Salvador, Brazil, Mexico), where members don't give a *F*. They will shoot up an entire street if need be just to get one target. They also are run or at least have large street solider populations of young hot heads who think they've got a big *D* just because they are packing a Glock or whatever.
Latino gangs in the USA are not coming out of Brazil.

The vast majority of Brazilians in the USA are white Brazilians and from the middle to upper classes. Very few of the Brazilian population in the US comes from the impoverished favelas.

The Latino gangs in the US like the Mexican Mafia, MS-13, 18th Street, Latin Kings, were created in the United States.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:05 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I remember when crime used to be bad here. You could never walk through Central Park at night without taking your life into your hands. The 70s and 80s were pretty bad. Crime seemed to be at its peak under Dinkins, and right to wrong, he was seen as soft on crime.

As a result, hardliner Rudy Giuliani was elected. He literally transformed the city. Before his reign, NYC was much more gritty than it is now. He got rid of all the sex shops and the stores that sold switchblades and other various weapons on 42nd street and completely Disneyfide it. He got the homeless off the streets and got the squeegee guys away from the bridges and tunnels. He also reallocated police and took them out of cushy positions and locations, and put them out on the streets where they were needed. .

Some New Yorkers hate the way he changed the city. They liked it grittier and not so gentrified. I don't get that. I think it is so much nicer now.

Here we go; that tired old canard again about how weak African American mayor Dinkins was compared to big strong (and bigoted) Rudy G.

Well just so you know, and hopefully your children shall some day know large parts of what unfolded during Rudy G's mayoralty actually were planned and or began under David Dinkins.

History Belongs to the Winners: Maybe It Shouldn't

"Some credit goes to Giuliani’s predecessor as mayor, David Dinkins, who added six thousand officers to a police force that eventually grew to nearly forty-one thousand, and saw crime decline, on average, six per cent annually in the last years of his administration."

What

As for Times Square:

"State agencies had plans in place to develop 42nd Street well before Giuliani," said Ethel Sheffer, an urban planning expert who led a quality-of-life study on Times Square during the redevelopment. Any large-scale redevelopment "takes a long time to unfold," she said.

The Times Square plan was in the works during the 1980s, when state officials and then-Mayor Ed Koch used eminent domain to condemn and take control of decrepit buildings.

But there was no legal way to control businesses until the City Council initiated a study during the administration of David Dinkins, who preceded Giuliani as mayor, that would allow them to pass rezoning laws if they could prove sex businesses were harming residential areas.

Did Giuliani Really Clean Up Times Square? - CBS News

https://www.city-journal.org/html/un...ack-12235.html

Old 03-11-2017, 10:08 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,314 times
Quote:

I don't like drama. I like peace. I like safety and not having to be concerned.

I bet NYC is not as safe and respectful as Amsterdam.

And if I ever end up living in Amsterdam I don't want people from Chicago coming there. Mainly their poor. If they do in mass numbers I already know they are bring big time problems. My suggestion to the people of Amsterdam would be to kill them all right away. Or deport them enmass back to that land of barbarians called Chicago, USA.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LiPPQkDLcSY
Walking downtown Amsterdam

keezi walks 104,761 views

Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Here we go; that tired old canard again about how weak African American mayor Dinkins was compared to big strong (and bigoted) Rudy G.

Well just so you know, and hopefully your children shall some day know large parts of what unfolded during Rudy G's mayoralty actually were planned and or began under David Dinkins.

History Belongs to the Winners: Maybe It Shouldn't

"Some credit goes to Giuliani’s predecessor as mayor, David Dinkins, who added six thousand officers to a police force that eventually grew to nearly forty-one thousand, and saw crime decline, on average, six per cent annually in the last years of his administration."

What

As for Times Square:

"State agencies had plans in place to develop 42nd Street well before Giuliani," said Ethel Sheffer, an urban planning expert who led a quality-of-life study on Times Square during the redevelopment. Any large-scale redevelopment "takes a long time to unfold," she said.

The Times Square plan was in the works during the 1980s, when state officials and then-Mayor Ed Koch used eminent domain to condemn and take control of decrepit buildings.

But there was no legal way to control businesses until the City Council initiated a study during the administration of David Dinkins, who preceded Giuliani as mayor, that would allow them to pass rezoning laws if they could prove sex businesses were harming residential areas.

Did Giuliani Really Clean Up Times Square? - CBS News

https://www.city-journal.org/html/un...ack-12235.html
I don't know, having lived through it, I can tell you, it all took place under Giuliani. Maybe this stuff would have come to fruition under Dinkins and maybe it wouldn't. We will never know. You will notice, I didn't blame Dinkins. I only said that he was seen as being soft on crime, which I don't think many people would argue. Right or wrong, he was definitely seen that way. Why else do you think liberal NYC elected a dictatorial republican Mayor not once, but in a landslide the second time around, after the people of NY got to see what he was capable of.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:36 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
I don't know, having lived through it, I can tell you, it all took place under Giuliani. Maybe this stuff would have come to fruition under Dinkins and maybe it wouldn't. We will never know. You will notice, I didn't blame Dinkins. I only said that he was seen as being soft on crime, which I don't think many people would argue. Right or wrong, he was definitely seen that way. Why else do you think liberal NYC elected a dictatorial republican Mayor not once, but in a landslide the second time around, after the people of NY got to see what he was capable of.
Crime in NYC was already declining prior to when Giuliani took office in 1994, murders peaked in 1990
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies