Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:27 PM

19,639 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Don't blame the drug.

The problem's the people who swallow the pills, grind them, snort them, etc.
Something makes them go to those lengths and risk death to get what that drug gives them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:28 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I'd like to see free drug rehab, free mental health treatment, free implantable birth control and condoms, and less welfare, no school access for anyone here illegally, and no public aid for illegal aliens or legal immigrants not here for at least 5 yrs. I'd like foreign aid cut off or reduced by half. Those measures should pay for drug treatment, mental health treatment and bc.
Our priorities are screwed up.
Make pot legal and tax it like cigs and alcohol and you could fund the above.
ok I will share that wine---

Old 03-15-2017, 04:30 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Don't blame the drug.

The problem's the people who swallow the pills, grind them, snort them, etc.
With regard to Oxycontin I absolutely blame the drug and the pharma that created it and lied saying it was not addictive. Once it was found to be extremely addictive, the people were already in too deep. They went to their doctors, who told them it was not addictive. The pills flooded entire regions and they were legally prescribed.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:31 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Thank God for brains. Too bad some folks didn't get any.
I should say not. Anyone with a brain knows that addiction is a powerful thing, and that addiction is an illness and a mental health crisis.

It must be awesome to be so perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The Wall combined with electronic surveillance and more manpower would help slow illegal drugs from coming into the country.
You want a bridge to go along with that wall?

Most of these drugs aren't crossing borders, sweetie. They're made right here in the U.S. of A.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:34 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I was on a morphine pump in hospital post surgery for a few days, normally I would be scared, upset and anxious confined in that bed with tubes, but I felt kind of warm and good. So I get it, but Im not an addict so its just an odd memory. My husband didn't get any effects from it after his surgery, it just worked on the pain.

Some people get addicted the first time they are exposed to it and it does get prescribed a lot for injuries. They can take one pill and think -I need to feel like this ALL the time. I don't think any other drug is such a demon.
i don't know- morphine is lightweight to me- maybe they do not give me much- but it's not prescribed at the pharmacy like other pain killers- FL was terrible for pill mills- they closed them all. yes the DRs prescribed the deadly things and ended up in jail -- but the addicts running around-- with little kids in cars, falling over, dying- it's a mess

Old 03-15-2017, 04:37 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Drug addiction in many cases, is a life-time problem. It could have started with heredity. (possible theory) ...It's in the blood--passed by the parents, like some alcoholism problems. The young person could have grown up around it, (environmental) his parents, uncles or anyone directly in his life. He tries to overcome it but gives in, as any strong addiction can take over your common sense. He can go many years and then get back into it. Some will overdose, like an old friend of mine. He went 15 years without using heroin and one day decided to get back into it. He took too much and he died.

If you know someone who is or used to be into drugs, they often return to it when they can't or won't change their environment and their habits. Not sure any program for drugs is going to "cure" them. They may stabilize for many years, but something pushes them off the edge, stress for example and they are back on.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:44 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I feel very fortunate that those types of medications make me ill almost immediately but I think this opioid situation is unique in that it took root through legally prescribed medication. This started with Pharma promoting a drug saying it was non-addictive when it was very addictive and by the time the truth came out, entire sections of the country were desperately addicted. To say those people deserve it is ignoring that they were initially prescribed this medication by their doctor.
The problem is that the people these medications were prescribed to, didn't use them as prescribed.

They KNOW damn well they're misusing the medication. They went back to their doctors and LIED about their "pain".

Sorry, but addicts are liars and manipulators. The problem is addictive thinking. If it isn't opioids, it'll be something else.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
The problem is that the people these medications were prescribed to, didn't use them as prescribed.

They KNOW damn well they're misusing the medication. They went back to their doctors and LIED about their "pain".

Sorry, but addicts are liars and manipulators. The problem is addictive thinking. If it isn't opioids, it'll be something else.
I'm sure that applies in some situations. I'm also sure there are others that were prescribed medication and became addicted unintentionally. I do know that these pills flooded high schools and kids who didn't know better became addicted.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Drug treatment is business, big business.

The countries with the least drug related problems impose draconian consequences. The people seem to get it and avoid drugs or associating with people into drugs.
As you well know, Perdue Pharma - a drug CORPORATION - is probably the largest profiteer from opiate production.

There is a big difference between the USA and other countries is that we are "For the Corporations, by the Corporations". Therefore, to these companies, the opiate crisis is a great thing. It is adding vastly to GDP - which is what the USA is based upon. Selling opiates is big business. Treating opiates is big business. What's not to like?

Let's not sit around here and pretend that our society is set up for the people. It's not. It's capitalism gone wild and everyone is getting in on it. Not only are our hospitals, docs, big pharma, insurance companies and everyone else getting in on the cash - but Mexicans, Chinese, Indians and many others are filling the void now that Perdue has "legally" addicted 5+ million more Americans.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm sure that applies in some situations. I'm also sure there are others that were prescribed medication and became addicted unintentionally.
Yes this the other half of the equation, the first being people that are intentionally misusing them for a high. The people that were in pain and become addicted have to go through pain mgt clinic and maybe they will be prescribed oxy or other for pain. It is a long process and as we know pain can make a person desperate for relief. And thus the country has a rise in heroin usage, hmmm am I connecting the dots or just paranoid?

Then we get a rise in heroin usage and lo and behold big pharma has a drug that will save your life if you should overdose. And then we have heroin and meth mixed with potent animal tranqualizers and people are dropping like flies or getting saved by paramedics.

For those who are really in pain those drugs should be available, would you rather be in pain or have no pain at all but be hooked on oxy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies