Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 09:07 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I do not know one town or city, unless too tiny, that does not help the homeless Or hungry. Churches- charities just people who get together. There was a famous chef started cooking at the park in st Pete Fl, but the city booted him out. But the amount of hungry children alone are overwhelming. Not all are reachable, some live in inner cities in apts building, others in the woods. The charities can it reach many. Many want jobs, but that just not happening. But to now cut off what little they get. We throw away enough to feed small countries.
I cannot see how anyone can be so cold...
I think we both agree that our local communities are incredibly charitable, I think we would also agree there is no town or city that would let a child go hungry no matter how dire the situation. Is there unnecessary waste? Absolutely, but that's a different issue, as is the availability of jobs. That's why I am of the opinion that we don't really need the federal government funding programs in our communities, the needs in Podunk USA vs. Manhattan, NYC, is quite different and only the local people know how to prioritize and get them what they need. Besides, when a town or city accepts federal monies, they can be forced to observe whatever partisan strings accompany the cash, if it's generated locally the fed can't tell you how to spend it. I don't have a problem with Trump reducing the federal budget by trimming the block grants, what I object to is that he is only re-allocating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:09 PM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I am simply adding to the discourse.

The subject of the thread is the Presidents budget "supposedly" cutting meals on wheels

The link I posted in my previous post is the President's staff regarding the President's budget, and they answered this and other questions at todays News conference. The article posted by the OP was yesterday's N.Y. Times article....obviously this was before todays news conference at the White House.

States control what they spend on meals on wheels, block grant or otherwise.
Ok, gotcha. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
I wonder how many senior citizen Trump supporters who depend on Meals on Wheels are cheering for the Fat Orange One now?

Once again, Trump voters screwed themselves over. And this will go on and on and on under Trump.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
He & all cons are a holes. Period. They prove it every day. Loathsome despicable people, I thank myself every day I'm not a con.
Because stealing the peoples money for your causes is honorable? All the progressives are a holes. Period. They prove it every day with their disregard for the rights of the individual. Loathsome despicable people, I thank myself every day I'm not a lowlife progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I honestly couldn't live with myself if I were.
What would the filthy progressive left know about honesty? They elected the biggest bald faced liar ever to be in the white house and they elected the most ethically and morally bankrupt candidate to ever win a major parties nomination in the last 50 years.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:49 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
The info I posted is directly from the USDA and the USDA's Office of the Inspector General. I posted both links.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-17-2017 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 03-16-2017, 09:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why isn't that covered by local charities? The community centers and churches of all denominations in my area are constantly having local food drives. There are outreach committees that provide food and personal hygiene items to the elderly/disabled house-bound. None of this needs to be a Fed Gov sponsored service.
Yeah, well paying to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan needs to be covered by charities too! How bout dat!!

You guys are so quick to toss money everywhere else in this world, but feeding an American drives you insane. SMH

Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Meals on wheels should be locally funded.
It is. From everyone in your LOCALity and my LOCALity..as it should be.

If we can raise the defense budget by 60 billion, then there's money for this program too.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,046,900 times
Meals on wheels helps over 10 million seniors who struggle with hunger. This is a nationwide network. It's not just a meal but it's also a check to make sure they are doing ok. Many seniors can't afford to go into nursing homes. So they try to stay in their own. Volunteers are the good samaritans who deliver these meals. Of course there are contributions but not enough. And do cut the funding on this is inhumane.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We need increased revenue and budget cuts to cut the deficit. A deficit can't be reduced by reducing expenses and then reducing revenue also.
yes it can. it just depends on how much of each. Math.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
What makes you think any of us don't?

Speaking of preventative, bringing seniors a meal a few times a day and checking on them is a lot cheaper than having them end up malnourished and dehydrated in a home or hospital.

I'm also fine with some of my federal taxes going for things like Meals on Wheels and Medicaid. I'm not OK with paying for trump's golden tower, constant golfing weekends, and stupid, ineffective wall, however.

I already donate to Planned Parenthood and NPR, which are on the chopping block, too, and I will happily increase my donations if that happens.

States are being asked to do more and more with this federal budget. Something's gotta give.
Totally agree!

Aren't the people who voted Trump into power going to hold him accountable for these things-

at least his Trump tower expenses and weekly golfing weekends at our expense?!

And where is the accounting that shows that he's actually reducing the deficit and not just reallocating to pay for his brand of pork?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies