Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 01:07 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,561 times

Advertisements

Concerning the title of the thread the 3 or 4 part series in the newspaper is about how generations of trauma, environments of trauma, negatively impact the financial well being and progress of black individuals and black communities.

Basically, some research was carried out, and some of the conclusions the researchers made touch on some things I have long said. Namely, some traumas have been passed down from parent to child. That ethnic Black-American families in are in crises. Many at least. Of course, not all.

A political party can not resolve that.

I see the thread on the stats of black households wealth was shut down and locked. I was going to post this is there.

This is part 3 or 4 of the series: Healing invisible scars demands resilience, intervention, time | Journal Sentinel - jsonline.com

I will try to find part 1 of the series. It shows poverty in Milwaukee radically increased from the 1970s. I just recently saw the movie Fences, on DVD, so the series starting with the Southern blacks moving to Milwaukee and the Northern cities decades ago sparked my interest a little.

(This typed from my small phone.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 01:18 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,561 times
Here is part 1 of the series: An epidemic of childhood trauma haunts Milwaukee | Journal Sentinel - jsonline.com

Quote:
The challenge facing Milwaukee and similar high-poverty cities goes beyond education, crime, and the availability of jobs.
Quote:
When Joseph and Eva Rogers moved to Milwaukee from Arkansas in 1969, there was no better city for African-American workers to find employment.

Neither had made it past grade school, but Joe found a job on the bottle line at Graf Beverages, known for root beer, and Eva worked at a rag factory. They were part of what turned out to be the last chapter of the Great Migration, in which 6 million Southern laborers moved north for a better life, and reshaped the nation.
Quote:
Their daughter Belinda remembers the city at its industrial zenith. For the first time, she says, “I saw African-Americans owning homes and businesses.”

She married at 18 and had three children by age 22. Her Louisiana-born husband worked at A.O. Smith, the biggest employer in the city, with 10,000 workers in cathedral-sized factories welding the undercarriage of just about every American-made car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies