Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the GOP care about healthcare reform
The GOP wants real reform 6 10.34%
Repeal and Replace was just political theater. 52 89.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:11 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

Or did they merely want to repeal the ACA because it was Obama's program? They had seven years to work with Obama to fix it, or draft a better alternative. They did neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 03:18 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Your poll is a little vague.

Yes, of course they fought it because it came from Obama.

But, apart from that, Republicans are generally against anything that would help the majority of the non-rich population. Unless they could figure out some way to directly profit from it. This is why they defund education, defund Planned Parenthood, undercut regulatory protections for consumers, etc.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:19 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Republicans - united on Repeal, divided on Replace.

Not a good recipe for success.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:22 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Or did they merely want to repeal the ACA because it was Obama's program? They had seven years to work with Obama to fix it, or draft a better alternative. They did neither.
They did care about HC reform. The problem was that Obama presented their solution, now they have nothing.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:22 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
I think the ACA isn't bad itself personally and to be honest the GOP plan was sort of similar it seemed like except for a few changes.

However, I have to say and I don't know if any other Republicans agree but Obama was the worst president in American history and it just seems like he intentionally made the law this.

Obama, I think knew this would be hard to repeal without lots of pain and suffering so he intentionally passed this law to make it difficult to repeal if Republicans were in control of everything.

I have to say I was really hoping they would go to the 50% State/50% Federal match for Medicaid as opposed to the 95% Federal/5% State for new-ACA enrolees.

To many states just getting to a huge ride for the federal government and not paying their fair share.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:25 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Republicans beat the Obamacare drum for years and absolutely maximized it electorally because it's easy to be against something without actually having to deliver on an alternative. One of the many reasons why Trump's "we didn't know healthcare would be so hard" is so ridiculous.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:35 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
The Tea Party and the conservatives want real reform; the establishment actually wanted Obamacare or something similar and so will conspire to keep as much of it as they can without being roasted alive by their own voters. This divide manifested itself most clearly in the 2013 defunding fight and it's coming to the fore once again.

So I didn't vote in the poll, because the GOP are divided on that question; some factions want real reform, and some factions want political theater.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:37 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
They care about it now for sure!

Old 03-24-2017, 04:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
They're divided into normal people and extremists just like the Democrats.

I wish someone from the middle in either party would get elected and give us single payer health insurance. How long is this going to take?

Old 03-24-2017, 04:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Republicans - united on Repeal, divided on Replace.

Not a good recipe for success.
I wouldn't agree that ALL Republicans are united on repeal---
There are many Republican governors who know their people will really suffer under this new version and don't want to go back to doing w/o some form of government support for those in need...

Trump is trying to clean all this s--- from his shoes---
He was just trying to claim he wasn't asking to have this done right away
Said the best think that could happen was for the bill to fail--like he didn't have a dog in the fight...

Blaming the Democrats for not helping pass this bill--just too stupid for words
The Freedom Caucus did this because they always want to have their way--
Trump couldn't put their feet to the fire even with his thread they might lose in 2018--
They were more scared about the Koch Brothers funding people running against them in the primaries...

John Boehner called this last month--
He said in all his time in the House, there was NEVER any agreement within the Republican Party about Health Care reform...never in 25 yrs...so why start now...

Trump thought his charisma would carry the day but the Freedom Caucus has gerrymandered their districts pretty well since the last census and they aren't afraid of Trump---they really don't need his support in all likelihood to win in 18...
The Moderates maybe might---

The real damage will come with Priebus and Ryan with Trump I think--Trump won't be this calm about losing for long because this weekend this is all that will be on the talk shows and in the papers...
How Trump failed to pass this bill--
He will blame someone beside himself...he always does...
And I don't think anyone will see the Democrats as the problem it failed...
Not their water bucket to carry...

The best thing that could happen would be for the MODERATE Republicans to just decide to join with the Democrats and get a decent insurance program passed and tax plan...
I don't think all Republicans are as mean-spirited and evil as the alt-right, ultra conservative Freedom Caucus---
But they are just afraid to raise their heads when people are slinging machetes...

The alt-right Republicans should break and start their own party--
But they won't because then they would be shown to be the small percentage right-wingers they are...29 votes out of over 400...not even 10%---
The GOP has just allowed itself to be held prisoner by that small minority because they want the dark money from the heavily conservative groups--like the Koch brothers, DeVos family, Robert Mercer...
Money drives...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies