Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Ya know, this has gotten waaay off topic from the discussion.

Whether or not your interpretation of G-d's laws or mine are the "correct" or "incorrect" one does not actually matter in regards to what happened in the class.

The student was wildly out of line turning a Middle Eastern Humanities class into "MY CHRISTIAN BELIEFS ARE SUPERIOR AND YOU ARE ALL WRONG" distraction. Repeatedly. Then he became an even more spoiled, whiny, entitled excrement over a poor grade. He threatened legal action. He was suspended. Told not to contact the teacher. Told not to contact a specific student (although this was never explained).

The school received over 100,000 angry, vile, and downright disgusting emails and phone calls. The teacher was attacked with vile, disgusting, and downright deplorable commentary. Many of it from self-proclaimed Christians. And in an attempt to get all the harassment to stop, they reinstated the student, but from the sounds of it will not be returning to this particular teacher's classroom.

So congratulations to all the Christians who showed what being a loving Christian is all about. It must be great knowing that you can still go to heaven after telling someone that they deserve to be raped and burned alive. So while I don't believe in Hell (hi, I'm Jewish), if that's where I end up, I'd rather be there than stuck for eternity with people like that.
Yes.

This whole discussion has gotten so far away from the original question that I am astonished it hasn't been closed yet, or moved to another forum. Surely there is a place here where people can debate theology?

Old 03-31-2017, 03:02 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Christians are only going by what they believe just as the Jews and Muslims. This is why it should be up to the TEACHER to understand her students. If one group wants respect about not drawing cartoons of Mohammed, than at least understand Christians believe Jesus was crucified. Doesn't seem to me the teacher was looking for any answer, she wanted her answer. She could have not made a big deal about this, but she is. Knowing her students might be the first lesson for her to learn, before passing out assignments on religion.

Running to Facebook to solve the solution makes me think this teacher is not ready for college teaching. Are you saying this teacher was not trying to push her own viewpoint? Upon looking up Middle Eastern humanities this college class does have Christian curriculum. So much for those who thought a Christian joined the class to be disruptive!

HIST 213: The Age of the Crusades
RELG 312: Christianity in the Middle East
RELG 313: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Everyone understands Christians believe Jesus was crucified. That's not the problem here. It's a COLLEGE class: no one cares what you believe, all that matters is what you can prove and argue through citations. If you write about what you believe, even in a class on Christianity (which this class was not), rather than about facts then you deserve a failing grade. Even if you properly demonstrate that you are capable of college level research and reference, if your paper is poorly written (as demonstrated by his email) then you deserve a failing grade.

I'm not sure why you keep referencing her "running to Facebook." Maybe this student should have asked for guidance about how to write a college letter before writing her an email that says, "You're one of the most incompetent professors I have ever seen in my life." (note, he's 20 ) and "It’s very clear you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. You may have a college degree but you belong in a reform school."

The following is the first paragraph of an email to a professor about something he deemed important. Do you think this mess is written by someone capable of writing a college paper? I don't.

"We need to talk as soon as possible over phone or in your office because you have been extremely unfair to me and pursuit a ruthless program of hostility in your recent grading simply due to the fact that I disagree with you on your inherent bias and clandestine theological apologies. I’m actually a nice person but not when I’m viciously attacked. I’d be just as happy to go to the dean about this issue."
Note - I did not remove any punctuation. He did that on his own.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31885/

Old 03-31-2017, 03:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
One savior, the one pointed to in the old testament is Jesus. He is not just a prophet, he is God in the flesh.
All three religions worship the God of Abraham.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They believe all what Mohammad said. The Quran came from Mohammad , the entire religion came from Mohammad . They put Mohammad above Jesus.
Much of the Quran is the Old Testament.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:39 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Yes.

This whole discussion has gotten so far away from the original question that I am astonished it hasn't been closed yet, or moved to another forum. Surely there is a place here where people can debate theology?
Of course. The Religion and Spirituality forums. There's a general forum, then subforums for Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Pagan, and Atheist/Agnostic.

The conversation can continue there.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:42 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
There was one person on here who cursed me out for calling Russians drunks. Now I know why he was so defensive.
Roflmao, I think I just got this.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:08 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
All three religions worship the God of Abraham.
Islam teaches that Jews are decendents of apes and pigs and kill them. Same with Christian's. They are taught if you are not a Muslim ,you are the enemy.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Much of the Quran is the Old Testament.
They put in many errors and claim it is infallible.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Everyone understands Christians believe Jesus was crucified. That's not the problem here. It's a COLLEGE class: no one cares what you believe, all that matters is what you can prove and argue through citations. If you write about what you believe, even in a class on Christianity (which this class was not), rather than about facts then you deserve a failing grade. Even if you properly demonstrate that you are capable of college level research and reference, if your paper is poorly written (as demonstrated by his email) then you deserve a failing grade.

I'm not sure why you keep referencing her "running to Facebook." Maybe this student should have asked for guidance about how to write a college letter before writing her an email that says, "You're one of the most incompetent professors I have ever seen in my life." (note, he's 20 ) and "It’s very clear you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. You may have a college degree but you belong in a reform school."

The following is the first paragraph of an email to a professor about something he deemed important. Do you think this mess is written by someone capable of writing a college paper? I don't.

"We need to talk as soon as possible over phone or in your office because you have been extremely unfair to me and pursuit a ruthless program of hostility in your recent grading simply due to the fact that I disagree with you on your inherent bias and clandestine theological apologies. I’m actually a nice person but not when I’m viciously attacked. I’d be just as happy to go to the dean about this issue."
Note - I did not remove any punctuation. He did that on his own.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31885/
Reminds me Of QUESTION AUTHORITY.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, I'm not. I am quite clear. Ask a local rabbi, or even your clergy if they were educated in a seminary. They would know this.

And you're pretty condescending and have quite the superior attitude for someone who is parading himself about as the big Christian. I don't recall Jesus acting like a jerk.
Well, we have had several Jewish people in the churches we attended, both in San Diego and here where we now live in Ohio (Messianic Jews), and I have never heard this from any of them when they would teach.

In all the years of Bible study that we have had, I have never heard this either. And why then does the Bible refer to Satan as "like a roaring lion who goes about seeking whom he may devour?"

Evil has always been represented by Satan, as far back as Genesis, where he tempted Eve, "Did God really say ...?" In the New Testament he tempted Christ.

Of course, I can't speak for modern Churches. So many have become so apostate and so "new age" they can't even be called Christian. Many don't even consider the Bible as the inspired word of God anymore. But 2 Timothy 3:16 says, "All scripture is God breathed, and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." NIV
"God breathed" means "God inspired." (Men wrote as the Holy Spirit led them.)

I'm sorry if you think what I write seems condescending. I only write what I know to be true. I'm betting the Jews of Jesus day thought he was "acting like a jerk." They didn't much care for him. He made them very angry. The reason they demanded he be crucified was because he claimed equality with God. He said, "I and the Father are One," and "Before Abraham was, I am." The Jews knew full well what that meant ...he was claiming to be equal with God. He also said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me." That's a pretty clear statement of his deity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies