Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the income a form of slavery?
Yes 26 25.24%
No 77 74.76%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times

Advertisements

You work and you are indeed given a salary. But the government skims right off the top, and you have no choice in the matter. You are basically held at gunpoint to use your labor to keep the scam of big governmnt going just a little longer. They in turn take your money and inflate the living crap out of it, basically stealing your own wealth away from you. How can we consider the income tax anything but a form of slavery? Would love to hear some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 10:56 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Idiotic comparison that does injustice to slavery.

When was the last time you were whipped?

Had to watch your owner have his way with your wife or daughter?

Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Idiotic comparison that does injustice to slavery.

When was the last time you were whipped?

Had to watch your owner have his way with your wife or daughter?

Yeah, let's just replace whips with guns. You don't pay massa government, and he get's his goons (the police force) to take you off to jail. I think freedom is in having choice. Tell me how you have a choice in paying the income tax

Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
I am a slave to the government in the sense that I essentially work 4 months out of the year to pay them, but our society simply could not function without taxation. Maybe it worked in the 1800s when all you had was a dirt road to travel, but someone has to pay for the infrastructure and services that we use.

I just wish the government would take their fair share out of the paycheck and be done with it. It's ridiculous that many Americans have to pay more of their hard earned money to hire someone to figure out and file complicated taxes. That's all the government is good at doing. Making the simple extremely complicated.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,389 times
Half the US (give or take a percent) doesn't pay federal income tax.

So to apply your question to those who do, it would have to be reworded, "Is income tax just another form of slavery of the country's wealthiest citizens?"

BTW (turn on irony button...) The nation's first income tax was enacted during the 1860s to pay for the civil war that ended slavery.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I just wish the government would take their fair share out of the paycheck and be done with it. It's ridiculous that many Americans have to pay more of their hard earned money to hire someone to figure out and file complicated taxes. That's all the government is good at doing. Making the simple extremely complicated.
I can agree with this, I'd rather see simple income taxes off the top even if it is at a higher rate, and do away with property taxes, consumption taxes etc...

Right now when you sum total all the various nickle and dimes you pay a larger rate than you see on your income tax anyway, just do it once and be done with it instead of this system where you have an ILLUSION of a lower tax rate than you actually have in reality. Also agree that it makes things overly complex.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You work and you are indeed given a salary. But the government skims right off the top, and you have no choice in the matter. You are basically held at gunpoint to use your labor to keep the scam of big governmnt going just a little longer. They in turn take your money and inflate the living crap out of it, basically stealing your own wealth away from you. How can we consider the income tax anything but a form of slavery? Would love to hear some opinions.

What makes you think you're entitled to a free ride? You're living in a country founded on different principles of what the government will provide, defense among other things. Who's supposed to pay for that if not those who are defended?

And if that's not to your liking you do have a choice: move!

Go live off the grid and provide for all your own needs.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I am a slave to the government in the sense that I essentially work 4 months out of the year to pay them, but our society simply could not function without taxation. Maybe it worked in the 1800s when all you had was a dirt road to travel, but someone has to pay for the infrastructure and services that we use.

I'd post a simple flow chart related to the idea of no taxation but I can't find it... the general idea is that people will find things that they want. You don't have to force them to pay for what they want.

Is it valuable? If yes, people will voluntarily fund it. Taxation is only useful for some group to use the state to force everyone else to fund the things they personally want, but that nobody else wants to pay for.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'd post a simple flow chart related to the idea of no taxation but I can't find it... the general idea is that people will find things that they want. You don't have to force them to pay for what they want.

Is it valuable? If yes, people will voluntarily fund it. Taxation is only useful for some group to use the state to force everyone else to fund the things they personally want, but that nobody else wants to pay for.

This is a completely logical way to look at it. Never even thought of it from this angle, but you have a knack for explaining things in simplistic but digestable terms.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:30 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
The income tax is theft. Before 1913 we had bridges, roads, schools , and our military might was very strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies