Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
This isn't a liberal problem, it's a side effect of how we treat drug abuse in this country. Drug abuse is seen as a criminal matter, when it really should be seen as a health matter.
If drug use is not a criminal matter then I don't know what is. It's criminal for a reason.

As I sit here and let your post sink in I am absolutely stunned....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 02:27 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
If drug use is not a criminal matter then I don't know what is. It's criminal for a reason.

As I sit here and let your post sink in I am absolutely stunned....
The current system isn't working AT ALL. They'll go to jail (and sometimes continue to abuse in jail), then continue to use when they get out.

Obesity is treated as a health problem, alcohol abuse is treated as a health problem, so why not drug abuse? They are all addictions that stem from some sort of psychological problem.

Some countries in Europe have figured this out and drug abuse is at an all time low. Instead of jail time, they are given a mandatory sentence in a treatment facility. It's their choice. They can choose jail or treatment.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:31 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What does this have to do with liberalism?

Does the fact that flyover country is rife with meth heads have anything to do with conservatism?
Apparently no conservative ever has done drugs.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:33 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What does this have to do with liberalism?

Does the fact that flyover country is rife with meth heads have anything to do with conservatism?
Exactly.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
The current system isn't working AT ALL. They'll go to jail (and sometimes continue to abuse in jail), then continue to use when they get out.

Obesity is treated as a health problem, alcohol abuse is treated as a health problem, so why not drug abuse? They are all addictions that stem from some sort of psychological problem.

Some countries in Europe have figured this out and drug abuse is at an all time low. Instead of jail time, they are given a mandatory sentence in a treatment facility. It's their choice. They can choose jail or treatment.
"The system is not working at all". Then stop funding it.

Obesity, alcohol, etc. can be overcome by those who are motivated. Drug abuse is a crime from top to bottom. It's no secret that drugs will land you in jail/on the street. Those who ignore the law/common sense and play with the fire should not be let out of the consequences of their poor choices by crying "health problem".

When the healthcare industry gets a new sickness to treat they'll ride it all the way to the bank.

We have deferred prosecution on drug charges now and have for as long as I can remember.

Again, it's all about choice.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:48 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:

This would never work in the U.S. because the for-profit prison system depends on the war on drugs to keep their cages filled and keep them in the money. And they buy a lot of politicians to make sure the spigot is never turned off.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:56 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Again, it's all about choice.
You've clearly never suffered from addiction or know anyone who has. It starts out as a choice, but becomes anything but a choice.

I used to say the same thing, "it's all about choice" about obese people. But when it gets to the point that you constantly feel hungry, you constantly think about food, and you suffer from psychological problems, it's no longer a choice, but a way to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This would never work in the U.S. because the for-profit prison system depends on the war on drugs to keep their cages filled and keep them in the money. And they buy a lot of politicians to make sure the spigot is never turned off.
Yep, that's exactly why. Many people pay their bills, send their kids to college, and pay their mortgage with "the war on drugs".

Old 04-13-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
You've clearly never suffered from addiction or know anyone who has. It starts out as a choice, but becomes anything but a choice.
You couldn't be more wrong. I grew up in a small town where drugs and violence were everyday life. I had to work like hell and make huge sacrifices along the way to get away from it. I saw friends die from addiction, murder and suicide. I dated a dancer/heroin addict. I've seen people go to jail.

I didn't have any addiction myself other than drinking too much but I've been flat-ass broke and come from poverty.

I have alcoholics/thugs in my family - all of whom I've severed ties with.

I know the subject very well.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:43 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
One thing I learned this weekend was how much drug use exists in the area where I went to high school. I knew it exists. I knew there are meth problems out there. What I didn't know was how many students that I went to high school with got hooked on drugs. It didn't surprise me to hear about the low-lifers and rednecks getting hooked. It surprised me to hear the persons who seemed to have it all that got into drugs. When you are socially out of the loop like I am, you never know who is on drugs and who isn't. This out of a conservative county.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:47 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
This drug theft was in Johns Creek, which is in the 6th Congressional District of GA. The 6th Congressional District has been a wealthy Republican stronghold.

Masked thief steals*drugs in Johns Creek pharmacy break-in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies