Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:07 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times

Advertisements

it is wrong!!! this is the best country in the world- hubby died for her and so will I-and my sons, if have to-- not happy? BYE felicia

Old 04-05-2017, 04:12 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I don't understand why there are so many posts saying this exactly. This isn't actually news. People often use the terms democracy and republic interchangeably. Are they different? Yes, but it's also largely understood that a republic uses a democratic process for choosing representatives so it's not necessarily inaccurate to describe the United States as a democracy. There is a process for voting, just not on policy, and this is ultimately the only real difference. I feel the OPs question is interesting enough to justify an answer a lot more than correcting this mistake that's almost not a mistake in the first place.
Since we elect people to actually vote on the majority of things and rarely vote on direct actions, we are NOT a democracy.

When we stick with the actual Constitution, we have the greatest form of government for current times. Unfortunately, that was hijacked long ago. Maybe we can return to it one day.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Since we elect people to actually vote on the majority of things and rarely vote on direct actions, we are NOT a democracy.

When we stick with the actual Constitution, we have the greatest form of government for current times. Unfortunately, that was hijacked long ago. Maybe we can return to it one day.
Yes, but it has a democratic process. I'm certainly not saying the difference is unimportant; it is. The phenomenon of using words wrong bothers me more than anyone I often feel, but at the same time, describing the US as a democarcy is not likely someone actually misunderstanding what form of government we have.

As for the constitution... we'll see. That's the best I can muster up unfortunately. A lot of people right now don't seem to really care about the constitution. Legislators and judges who criticize Trump are often called unAmerican, which is ironic, since nothing strikes me as being more unamerican than actually having a problem with the separation of powers. And because someone saying it is inevitable, this isn't a Trump specific problem. It's been around, probably since at least Andrew Jackson, but Trump is the president right now so until he's not the president, it is his problem.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:28 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
I mean, our nation is over 200 years old right?

And in those 200 years, other Democracies have came into existence, taken our formula and improved upon it.

I don't understand the "ends of the Earth" national pride some Americans feel. Like the country has never and can never do any wrong.

If there is someplace better, why are you still here?

Old 04-05-2017, 04:29 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
We have been by far the greatest nation written in human history. The constitution was written by some VERY smart men that have used their knowledge of government, history, and human nature to create something very special.

The problem is, we have people that are so ignorant of it, that they want to vote it away to their own demise.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

Benjamin Franklin
Very smart indeed... and a prophet as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
it is wrong!!! this is the best country in the world- hubby died for her and so will I-and my sons, if have to-- not happy? BYE felicia
We, you and I, tend not to agree on much... but, this we do.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:30 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The conservatives sheeps that keep on saying "We are not a democracy, we are a republic"
People usually say that only when they're losing an argument.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:36 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,520 times
The United States of America is the best Country of all time. Everyone wants to come here.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Yes, but it has a democratic process. I'm certainly not saying the difference is unimportant; it is. The phenomenon of using words wrong bothers me more than anyone I often feel, but at the same time, describing the US as a democarcy is not likely someone actually misunderstanding what form of government we have.

As for the constitution... we'll see. That's the best I can muster up unfortunately. A lot of people right now don't seem to really care about the constitution. Legislators and judges who criticize Trump are often called unAmerican, which is ironic, since nothing strikes me as being more unamerican than actually having a problem with the separation of powers. And because someone saying it is inevitable, this isn't a Trump specific problem. It's been around, probably since at least Andrew Jackson, but Trump is the president right now so until he's not the president, it is his problem.
The problem occurs when the main point is a comparison to say which is best.

When you ask which ______ is best, the answer is irrelevant when the subject is poorly defined.

Which car is the fastest?

Well, that would be the SR-71 Blackbird.

That is a plane.

Just like a car, it has wheels and an engine. It transports people and can go down a street. It burns fuel. It has metal components......

Sometimes words matter.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:40 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
I mean, our nation is over 200 years old right?

And in those 200 years, other Democracies have came into existence, taken our formula and improved upon it.

I don't understand the "ends of the Earth" national pride some Americans feel. Like the country has never and can never do any wrong.
Not only is the US no longer the greatest democracy, it's arguably now the worst liberal democracy on Earth and continues to plummet.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The problem occurs when the main point is a comparison to say which is best.

When you ask which ______ is best, the answer is irrelevant when the subject is poorly defined.

Which car is the fastest?

Well, that would be the SR-71 Blackbird.

That is a plane.

Just like a car, it has wheels and an engine. It transports people and can go down a street. It burns fuel. It has metal components......

Sometimes words matter.
Ok, that's fair I guess. I don't disagree. I just feel that if that's all someone has to say in the thread, they probably shouldn't have said anything. At least answer the question after you correct his use of words. That's all I'm really saying. We all knew what he meant when he said democracy (or I assume) so that shouldn't be what dominates the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies