Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 11:20 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Crime decreased worldwide starting in the mid 1990s. This is estimated to be related to the eradication of using leaded gasoline in vehicles.

Lead is a poison that causes a lowering of IQ, behavior issues, violence, and criminal tendencies. Once lead was removed from gasoline, crime fell all over the world - not just in the USA.

Due to that, I don't agree with the Freakonomics portion regarding abortion, however I am pro-choice and feel that it is a medical procedure that should be left up to the choice of the woman and her family and no one else's business.

However, due to worldwide decreases in crime, one cannot conclude that increased abortion access was a factor in this considering a large amount of the world's nations, including more liberal nations in Europe have and had much more stringent laws regarding abortion versus the US and their crime rates fell as well.

This is a long article but is a good synopsis on the relationship between lead and crime. Also please note that the residue from the decades of using leaded gasoline is still in the soil in predominantly urban areas that had highways going through them or major road ways. Even today, areas like inner city communities, that have more lead residue in the soil still have higher rates of crime. It would cost billions upon billions of dollars to clean up the lead and most local and state governments are not going to remediate the problem because of that and the fact that this issue today primarily affects lower income Americans.

Lead: America's Real Criminal Element
That's just pure bull****. I feel sorry for you if you believe that.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That's just pure bull****. I feel sorry for you if you believe that.

Which part is BS??

The fact that crime started decreasing worldwide in the mid 1990s or that lead is a known poison and causes behavior issues in people and an increase in violent/criminal behavior???

You must be one of those science deniers lol.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscusharry View Post
That is because the people who have the greatest percentage of abortions are low class people who are more likely to be crappy, neglectful parents and then the cycle would continue. I firmly believe that if abortion was illegal in this country , America would have crime numbers close to 3rd world status. As a libertarian who is pro-choice not because I like the concept of abortion, but because I cherish individual freedom and less intrusive government, I tell my right winger Republican pro-life friends to be careful what you wish for.
Yes, I read the book.

So here is a solution to the crime problem. If we abort all babies we will eliminate all crime.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:37 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Crime decreased worldwide starting in the mid 1990s. This is estimated to be related to the eradication of using leaded gasoline in vehicles.

Lead is a poison that causes a lowering of IQ, behavior issues, violence, and criminal tendencies. Once lead was removed from gasoline, crime fell all over the world - not just in the USA.

Due to that, I don't agree with the Freakonomics portion regarding abortion, however I am pro-choice and feel that it is a medical procedure that should be left up to the choice of the woman and her family and no one else's business.

However, due to worldwide decreases in crime, one cannot conclude that increased abortion access was a factor in this considering a large amount of the world's nations, including more liberal nations in Europe have and had much more stringent laws regarding abortion versus the US and their crime rates fell as well.

This is a long article but is a good synopsis on the relationship between lead and crime. Also please note that the residue from the decades of using leaded gasoline is still in the soil in predominantly urban areas that had highways going through them or major road ways. Even today, areas like inner city communities, that have more lead residue in the soil still have higher rates of crime. It would cost billions upon billions of dollars to clean up the lead and most local and state governments are not going to remediate the problem because of that and the fact that this issue today primarily affects lower income Americans.

Lead: America's Real Criminal Element
Lead would not account for the recent spike in crime all over the country. More kids being born in unfortunate situations over the last twenty years would. Abortion rates have been falling for twenty years.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:59 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
MS. Sanger's plan is working!

BlackGenocide.org | The Truth About Margaret Sanger

Old 04-07-2017, 03:05 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscusharry View Post
That is because the people who have the greatest percentage of abortions are low class people who are more likely to be crappy, neglectful parents and then the cycle would continue. I firmly believe that if abortion was illegal in this country , America would have crime numbers close to 3rd world status. As a libertarian who is pro-choice not because I like the concept of abortion, but because I cherish individual freedom and less intrusive government, I tell my right winger Republican pro-life friends to be careful what you wish for.
I didn't read it, but I closely follow the abortion issues.

In my experience - and this is surely true in the Deep South - the women who do not have abortions are the poorest of the poor and the ones least able to take care of a child as a single mother.
The women most likely to have an abortion have a bit more sense and a bit more family support.
And giving the child for adoption is rarest of all.

Just my observation.

FWIW: I am right-wing pro choice. Not all Republicans are pro-life.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:23 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Lead would not account for the recent spike in crime all over the country. More kids being born in unfortunate situations over the last twenty years would. Abortion rates have been falling for twenty years.
Crime has not "spiked all over the country" recently...

Only certain areas have had crime spikes, not the entire country.

I am aware that abortion rates have been falling for 20 years as well. Evidently you don't like to read long documents. You should read the link I posted.

I specifically said crime has fallen WORLDWIDE since lead was removed from gasoline. And even the "crime spike" in specific metro areas is nothing like crime was in the 1970s to 1994.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM

809 posts, read 747,405 times
I don't understand how any supporter of our "deplorable-in-chief" could accept the concept that an unwanted child might not contribute to the good of our society.

Donald Trump Reveals What Changed His Mind on Abortion and Led Him to Become Pro-Life | LifeNews.com

Then again, an "evil fake news source" of video shows how trump changed his mind (hey, he was a New Yorker - a place that knows him and seems to continue to hate him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1n9dYA2SdU

If trump is against a women's right to choose what happens in her body, what happens to her life, the life of an unwanted child, and the possibilities that might worsen our society, I feel good about being pro-choice.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Should of thought of that before engaging in sex and getting pregnant.
With the ability of abortion, I believe that is something that has become "old fashioned", remember it is just a "clump of cells" like tumor per those that support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Correlates better with poverty level than race. An blacks are about twice white race.

49% of those who get abortions are in the poverty group. Another 25% in the low income group. So rich people seldom get abortions .
Gee, what if we helped these women move out of poverty rather than put abortion clinics in their neighborhoods. PP abortion clinics, just look at where they set up and tie in Margaret Sanger and eugenics.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, it doesn't. Blacks are twice as likely to be in poverty than Whites, but Black women are 5 times more likely to have an abortion than White women. The info is quite clear, and there's disproportion even when adjusted for income level.

The Abortion Race Gap - The Atlantic - September 22, 2014
Well, with PP set up like 7/11 in black neighborhoods where poverty thrives, perhaps that contributes to the increased rate of abortion. Abortion has become their "go to" and I am betting the PP attempts to push them into getting the abortions.

The one time I went to a PP clinic, I got the idea that if you were "poor" they would help move one toward that decision, so have had no use for them since that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It is true, regardless of income level. Why would they need their boyfriends to "take them to PP?" That's a very odd thing to say.
Birth control is provided through Medicaid, not abortion, but many forms of birth control including sterilization. There are county and other public funded agencies that provide "women's health services" to include birth control either free or on a sliding scale based on income across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, I read the book.

So here is a solution to the crime problem. If we abort all babies we will eliminate all crime.
That would do it, but that isn't what this is about. This is yet another C-D thread meant to bring out the closet racists here, and it is doing a good job! I get really tired of the crap also. They want to eliminate blacks thinking that will eliminate poverty which it will not. They don't need the blacks anymore because they have their new work for cheap population, illegal aliens that they are defending!!! Even President Obama abandoned our black citizens and focused on the plight of illegal aliens that have no right to be in OUR country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I cringe when I hear her name, but it gives me peace that she will burn in Hell for eternity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I didn't read it, but I closely follow the abortion issues.

In my experience - and this is surely true in the Deep South - the women who do not have abortions are the poorest of the poor and the ones least able to take care of a child as a single mother.
The women most likely to have an abortion have a bit more sense and a bit more family support.
And giving the child for adoption is rarest of all.

Just my observation.

FWIW: I am right-wing pro choice. Not all Republicans are pro-life.
Perhaps those "poorest of the poor" believe that ALL life is precious, a gift from God. To someone who believes that, me included, it doesn't make sense to order the death of one's baby, it is an unthinkable thing.

"Abortion stops a beating heart", even Planned Parenthood has agreed with that.

Why not approach this in a different way, ending poverty not by killing off the babies of the poor, but actually doing something positive about poverty.

It is wrong to toss an illegal alien back to their home country, people who drain $113+ billion a year and whose anchors we pay to birth yet we should encourage our black citizens to end the lives of their babies to help end poverty. Oh heck no!

A lot of these people aren't bright enough to use bright control, drugged and drug sex, etc. Glad to see the ads on TV about things that can be "inserted" here or there to prevent pregnancy for a term of years. This stupidity is not race specific.

Amazingly enough, there appeared to be much, much less "accidental" pregnancies before abortion was legalized. People that didn't want to have a baby were very motivated to take steps to prevent pregnancy even with some rather primitive methods seeming to be pretty darn effective if one was motivated.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:07 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Freakanomics argues that since crime rates began to decline in the mid-90's, and since that was ~20 years after Roe v. Wade, and since the children of those who sought abortion were likely to commit crimes, then by removing those "unwanted children", it has reduced crime rates.

The problem with the logic of freakanomics, is that it cannot explain the extreme rise in crime rates prior to Roe v. Wade, which obviously had nothing to do with abortion.

Also, there is plenty of evidence that the decline in crime rates in the 1990's was not the result of abortions.

Most sane people attribute the fall in crime rates to tougher laws, and longer prison sentences. Basically, crime rates fell, because they threw all the criminals in prison. Severe crime is almost-always from repeat-offenders(or as Clinton would call them, "super-predators"). By keeping people in prison longer, you take away their opportunity to commit increasingly more-severe crime.

Once a criminal, always a criminal? Recidivism rate analyzed in new Bureau of Justice report - CBS News

Of course, none of this addresses why exactly people turn to crime in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies