Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
you really are fighting pretty hard here to make it okay to question a man and his daughter. It's just wrong for some hotel staff to insult a paying customer like that. They are not paid to judge people and guess if a crime is being committed. This is horrible. And the nerve of you talking about "civil duty"...we pay police to go out and look for crime, not hotel staff.

And since you wanna play what if...what if they police show up and they end up killing that man after he flips out about being labeled a paedophile? What if the one cop they send is that trigger happy clown that's having a bad day?

This is horrible.
Yep, take it to the next step of "nancytopia". Of course the truck driver that sees them driving down the road should call the cops suspecting he could be a pedo with her in his car. The guy at the gas station, the lady at the diner....in short any time a man goes anywhere with his daughter he should expect 4-5 police interviews along the way each day because it's worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Has anyone actually read the article, or are you all reacting to the headline and the other posts?

The man clearly stated that he was questioned by police for "2 seconds" (his words) and then they left. Period.

He also said that the Travelodge employee had already called the cops before he showed pictures of his daughter. It sounds as if the man was being very difficult because he was offended. Why else did this make headline news? He was not hassled by the police. He was not even detained. Yet it somehow is in the news all over the world.
It's Orwellian. That's why.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's Orwellian. That's why.
It would be had the cops detained the man or questioned him for hours. However, they didn't. They arrived and left in a matter of seconds. Blaming a hotel clerk for being extra careful and calling it "Orwellian" is a bit over-the-top. As soon as the cops arrived they realized a mistake had been made.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:10 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
This happened in England. I wonder how it would have been handled in this country.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:18 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
It would be had the cops detained the man or questioned him for hours. However, they didn't. They arrived and left in a matter of seconds. Blaming a hotel clerk for being extra careful and calling it "Orwellian" is a bit over-the-top. As soon as the cops arrived they realized a mistake had been made.
This isn't "extra careful"...it's profiling. And luckily nothing even more ludicrous happened. And it's easy to say that from behind a keyboard, but that man had to actually stand there and have it physically interrupt his life.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As a Mom -- not a single Mom - -but a mom -- I've travelled with my son with his hockey team. Whenever we flew i had a notarized letter from my husband saying he was aware and was okay with the trip. When my husband travelled with my son, he had a notarized letter from me.
That is a very sad story!

Old 04-06-2017, 08:27 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
That is exactly why I will never allow myself to be alone with ANY child, of ANY age!
Or, any PERSON, other than my wife and sons, of any age.
I will not even baby-sit my grandchildren.
Yeah, I am paranoid about it, due mainly to "news" articles I read.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
That is a very sad story!
It's for protection....so a parent doesn't kidnap their own child --- custody stuff. It's not a big deal.

This is upsetting for sure.....-- it happened in England not here -- is definitely not indicative of any great wave of feminism.....

Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It's for protection....so a parent doesn't kidnap their own child --- custody stuff. It's not a big deal.

This is upsetting for sure.....-- it happened in England not here -- is definitely not indicative of any great wave of feminism.....
So are Burqa's. What size should we sign you up for....after all we have to protect you.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:40 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
That is exactly why I will never allow myself to be alone with ANY child, of ANY age!
Or, any PERSON, other than my wife and sons, of any age.
I will not even baby-sit my grandchildren.

Yeah, I am paranoid about it, due mainly to "news" articles I read.
I was totally with you in lock-step until the bolded, then you went wayyyyy off the deep end.

You seriously wouldn't be alone with an adult who is outside your family?? How do you live a normal life??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies