Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 AM

29,501 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They are skilled workers -- the workers that are waiting for jobs that Trump promised would need to acquire those skills.

They are still encompassed under the "manufacturing" umbrella.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
They are still encompassed under the "manufacturing" umbrella.
They are not going to be hired by the millions either like assembly workers used to be. That is the point.

A factory can employ 20-30 skilled workers and do the work that 1000 bodied workers used to do.

Do you believe that the US will get the same amount of jobs as we had in the 1970s in the manufacturing sector...?

If you do, you've drunk too much of the Trump kool-aid.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
And do you all really believe all these self-proclaimed blue collar people are going to or are qualified to go to school to be an industrial, mechanical, electrical, robotic, etc., engineer?

Sorry but I know a lot of blue collar people and even though it may sound mean, they are not all that bright and especially not bright enough to get into an engineering program.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Many jobs aren't created because of Trump. Most were already in the pipeline from the last year of Obama. Trump's true job gains will come from June onwards. Then again he didn't believe them until he took office...

Old 04-10-2017, 10:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
According to your article Trump added 11,000 jobs in manufacturing and Obama added 12,381,000.....

If Trump adds 11 000 every month for 8 years, he will have added less than 100 000 manufacturing jobs in 8 years, which would probably be the worst of any president ever.
Sorry, bad math. If he adds 11 000 per month for 8 years, he will have added about 1 million, which is 12 times less than Obama added.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:50 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Another discredited prediction by the hate full left...

12,392,000: U.S. Manufacturing Jobs Reach Highest Level in 8 Years
what rubbish. You guys are desperate.
Guess what in 2016 manufacturing jobs were at a 7 year high and 2015 they were at a 6 year high....

We have lost at LEAST 5 MILLION since G Bush took over! they went down hard.
Obama managed to reverse the trend, over the last four years as he repaired our nation. From the disaster created by the Bush admin. (so much for wars boosting economies)

But the hard truth is production will need less and less humans and the only reason we see an uptick is because wages in other countries have risen enough to make it worth while have some assembly here.

Well Done Obama. Hopefully Trump can hold the trend that OBama created, but it will be hard and it is unlikely NO MATTER who is POTUS.

If we can just hold on to GOOD manufacturing jobs that would be great, sadly the new ones (yes under Obama too) don't offer the middle class pay rates of yesteryear.

These New manufacturing jobs come in two flavors 1 higher pay tech work/management. and 2 unskilled or semi skilled but still low pay low benefit jobs.

This is one reason why we need to shift to full on public healthcare for everyone. the future of unskilled and semiskilled labor is very bleak. We need to STOP blaming the men and women who can't find good, high quality reasonable pay jobs, and start asking ourselves what kind of nation do we want to be.

It is NOT DEM vs REP. it is a flat out choice about what kind of nation we wish to be. either a nation built around people or a winner takes all and feck your neighbors..

Old 04-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They are not going to be hired by the millions either like assembly workers used to be. That is the point.

A factory can employ 20-30 skilled workers and do the work that 1000 bodied workers used to do.

Do you believe that the US will get the same amount of jobs as we had in the 1970s in the manufacturing sector...?

If you do, you've drunk too much of the Trump kool-aid.

Here we go... I have said multiple times , we will never be at the level of workers of the past. And I don't see anyone that has said that, it just seems to be a debate point many like yourself keep bringing up. Anyone would be a fool to deny that opening plants here instead of other countries is beneficial to us, though. And you are WAY off on your number of 20-30. Have you ever even stepped into an automotive assembly plant ? Do you have any idea of what kind of infrastructure and support industries that are required to keep an automotive manufacturer running ?
So it may not be numbering in the millions, but it certainly is in the 10's of thousands , so what is your point ? Just because it isn't in the millions of jobs , we shouldn't care ?

Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
And do you all really believe all these self-proclaimed blue collar people are going to or are qualified to go to school to be an industrial, mechanical, electrical, robotic, etc., engineer?

Sorry but I know a lot of blue collar people and even though it may sound mean, they are not all that bright and especially not bright enough to get into an engineering program.

Yeah, I'm not quite believing you on this one. And it really proves you don't know anyone in those industries. The "blue color" people I know just happen to be machinists, welders, fabricators , electricians and robotics technicians I know are highly intelligent. My own dad, was a skilled tradesmen and is degreed. Although, you and I might judge intelligence in different ways.
Again, like you have in many of your other posts, you only focus on one aspect of manufacturing , the assembly side of it.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:45 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:

The skills gap is very real and is only getting larger.

I remember several years back, my son recounted how Dell had opened a factory somewhere in NC and had planned to hire a lot of local people. Fast forward a few years and they closed the factory because they never could find enough people with the requisite skills to work there.
He also says that in the years that he has been in the Army (20), the new enlistees that come in each year are less and less capable of comprehending the manuals that they are supplied in the engineering corps.

There isn't a large pool of people coming out of HS that immediately qualify for the types of jobs that manufacturing is offering today.
And convincing people who have incurred large student loans that manufacturing is a a viable way to pay them off will continue to be difficult unless employers change the way they view these workers.

It's a real uphill battle.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:41 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Liberals don't like manufacturing jobs. They look to much like hard work, which is a sin or something. Better to have tens of millions of Americans on welfare, while illegals sneak in to do what little work liberals will allow to be done in America. Liberals are losers, and have no business running a lemonade stand, let alone an economy.

Yeah, I agree. Have you seen some of the people who come out of places like nursing schools ? THOSE are some real losers . They go into fields like this to avoid hard work. That is why there is such a glut of nurses looking for work these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies