Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:02 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I'm fairly liberal on many issues- but this one always turns into such a soapbox topic. If the woman has an appropriate cover, she can likely feed the kid for half eternity without anyone other than women who used a similar cover noticing.

But the folks who want to whip out full boob and angle for attention while begging privacy do present a dilemma. Not everyone in the mall that likely attracts children will be mature enough to deal appropriately (ie not staring.) And it presents a problem for those who for religious/cultural reasons value modesty. I think the nursing room is an appropriate solution for those who can breastfeed discreetly.

A couple of years ago one of our friends decided to openly breastfeed her kid at the dining table at our friend's mother's lakehouse. With the very southern, senior citizen owner present. It was definitely a time & place issue that 95% of the world could have navigated more gracefully. We basically all sat there trying eat eggs while we pondered what 1980s Gloria Vanderbuilt placemat was best suited for awkward conversation.
Who are these people "whipping out full boob and angl(ing) for attention"? Yeah, I am sure some here and there do, but in general, it's boring. Baby's head will cover a lot of the boob and you see less than a Victoria Secret poster at the mall.

I did choose to be a little more discreet in some circumstances, and so on. Used the mother's lounge...but that was in big part since it was nice to sit in a rocking chair. Still, I wasn't putting on a show, and I have plenty of boob. Modesty is far more than whether your shoulders are covered, or you know *gasp* that there's an uncovered boob around, even though you aren't seeing anything.

The people who are not mature enough to not stare or whatever....they are the problem, not me nursing. Go grow up. Children likely have seen nursing before, especially if they have younger siblings. They will model their reactions after how they see others doing it.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:04 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
When I was a kid in school I would tell the girls that their panties were showing. They would say, "Then don't look." Now that I'm an adult I know not to look and especially not gawk, if I see a mother breast feeding in public.

You can look just don't say anything or show appreciation.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:33 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I think an episode of " Yoshi's Castle" said it best when they dubbed some of the contestants running through the course. For those of you that don't know what the show was, it was a Japanese obstacle course where contestants had to get past physical challenges like falling in water, jumping over moving objects, etc. The americans broadcasting it here dubbed the voices with comedic commentary.
Anyway, a lady contestant proudly states that " I have the right to feed my baby in public. " And one of the game hosts promptly says lewdly " And I have the right to watch."

Old 04-13-2017, 10:42 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
why is breastfeeding in public such a big deal?

Let the moms feed their babies. If breasts and nipples annoy you so much, just avoid looking at them.

Problem solved.
The complainers are so out of touch with a level of huge insecurity toward the human body. The mother was feeding her child , somehow these lost souls thought it offensive. What are they afraid of says alot about their own mental state.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
About 25+ years ago, dating my wife then. Down on 6th Street and they had vehicle traffic detoured so the street was open to people partying. Look out the window of the bar and here sits a fruitcake woman about 20, sitting in the middle of the street, breast feeding what looked like a 6-8 yo boy???? WTF?
Now that was pure entertainment for us, nothing else. Freaks in Austin, have only multiplied.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:50 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
The complainers are so out of touch with a level of huge insecurity toward the human body. The mother was feeding her child , somehow these lost souls thought it offensive. What are they afraid of says alot about their own mental state.
yeah Some believe breastfeeding = sex

Like I posted earlier, I am the type of woman who feels a little bit uncomfortable breastfeeding in public. I say that now because I am not a mother, who knows what I would do if I have a crying screaming baby in my hands. I won't judge a nursing mother, period. I know women who don't mind breastfeeding in public. We are just different.

I say give the women freedom of breastfeeding their babies, public or not. Not a big deal.

add: I am a proud aunt of three baby nephews and I also have one beautiful Godson. If we saw a nursing mother, I think it is a learning opportunity for the boys, "It is not polite to stare." They are six years old, I doubt they would stare, I doubt they even care. They need to know the world does not revolve around them. Plus, seeing a nipple will not traumatize them for life.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:55 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
How is this still an issue?

Like the post that says you see more breast hanging around the pool or the beach.

I'm a very modest person and I had special tops the covered everything. But why people still get their knickers in a twist over this is beyond me.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
How is this still an issue?

Like the post that says you see more breast hanging around the pool or the beach.

I'm a very modest person and I had special tops the covered everything. But why people still get their knickers in a twist over this is beyond me.

They must have been Muslim and can only tolerate so much, before they are aroused.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
indeed. I don't think that I ever have seen a mother trying to spray everything with her breastmilk. I even breastfed in church when I had to.
Me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It disturbs the public environment. Most shopping malls and larger stores/restaurants have a special room for breastfeeding mothers where they can go and accommodate their child's needs. If it's in use, wait a few minutes.
Oh, piffle! What residinghere2007 said, below, in blue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think a screaming baby would disturb the public environment more than a quiet, breasfeeding baby....

If there is only one room for breastfeeding and it was being used, like in this particular situation, do you suggest that mothers sit in a mall and let their little babies scream...

Point is that breast do not disturb the public environment. I'm sure you and many other have no issues with boobs on display at the beach in bikinis. You see less boob when breastfeeding that you see in a bathing suit.

Some babies also will not eat under a cover. Neither of mine would. They sweat a lot, like me. Who wants to have a blanket over their face while they are eating.

I agree with Lily in that many mothers are comfortable and some are not. Usually it depends on the baby. If you have a baby that refuses to nurse under a cover or in a dark room or who is fidgety and squiggly, you have to adjust your nursing style/environment so the baby will eat.

Most new moms who are breastfeeding don't want you looking at their boobs but they also don't want you looking at them and judging them because of their baby screaming.
Mine neither. But the new BF covers available now are maybe better than a blanket thrown over the kid's head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
About 25+ years ago, dating my wife then. Down on 6th Street and they had vehicle traffic detoured so the street was open to people partying. Look out the window of the bar and here sits a fruitcake woman about 20, sitting in the middle of the street, breast feeding what looked like a 6-8 yo boy???? WTF?
Now that was pure entertainment for us, nothing else. Freaks in Austin, have only multiplied.
Well, it would seem to be the disturbance was sitting in the middle of the street! VERY few people breastfeed even to age two!

Old 04-13-2017, 12:31 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Boobs are normal in the rest of the world. If someone pops one out here it is instantly becomes about sex by the high moral authorities. We are too uptight.
That's so true. It's a religious thing I think. In Germany naked people lay out in the park. Americans are floored when they see this.

The nursing cube was occupied, and if you've ever had a screaming hungry baby you'd know waiting isn't an option. If she did, someone would have told her to shut her baby up. I don't think moms can win anyway you look at it. Nature is far removed from our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies