Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:52 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Read an article where Native Americans could be affected if the LIHEAP is cut. I mean I can see a larhe percentage of the population affected if this is cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 06:07 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
This was passed in the 1970's when oil went from $3/bbl to $50/bbl because of the Arab oil embargo. Oil now has gone to ...$50/bbl. Gas and oil cost less today than in the 70's after inflation. The people who this program were meant to help are now either dead or in nursing homes. It is past time for HEAP to go.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:16 AM

I am the opposite. Feel cost of goods and energy has inflated while income has decreased. So cost may be stagnant but factoring it in to COL still heat is unaffordable.

We need increased funding into these programs with assistance from companies/charity organizations to help balance the cost out.

Sane for increasing funding to building more affordable low income housing.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
As someone who delivered fuel to LIHEAP customers I would suggest there is better ways to provide assistance. This program is not as exploitable as most becsue the payment goes directly to the fuel provider who can apply it as credit or to outstanding balances. However it's still open to exploitation specifically if the fuel type is oil. One can get the oil, use it in their diesel vehicle, tractor or even sell it while using cheaper fuels for heat.

In the business I was in most of the customers were homeowners and that money would have been better spent upgrading windows, insulation or whatever. It's somewhat pointless to be using taxpayer funds to heat a house that is a sieve when upgrades to house are more cost effective.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:38 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am the opposite. Feel cost of goods and energy has inflated while income has decreased. So cost may be stagnant but factoring it in to COL still heat is unaffordable.

We need increased funding into these programs with assistance from companies/charity organizations to help balance the cost out.

Sane for increasing funding to building more affordable low income housing.
Our power company has a way to contribute toward helping others with their utility costs.

As far as low income housing, if enough of the illegal aliens leave with their anchors, there will be an adequate amount of housing under the Section 8. One anchor baby gets the entire family into low income housing.

Also, the counties I have lived in had programs where volunteers went out and "weatherized" houses for applicants that were approved.

With so many unemployed and underemployed, it makes it hard to carry the lower income people when we can barely keep up ourselves.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:37 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The people who this program were meant to help are now either dead or in nursing homes. It is past time for HEAP to go.
Wow, so you're saying we've eradicated poverty? Right on!

Old 04-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Our power company has a way to contribute toward helping others with their utility costs.

As far as low income housing, if enough of the illegal aliens leave with their anchors, there will be an adequate amount of housing under the Section 8. One anchor baby gets the entire family into low income housing.

Also, the counties I have lived in had programs where volunteers went out and "weatherized" houses for applicants that were approved.

With so many unemployed and underemployed, it makes it hard to carry the lower income people when we can barely keep up ourselves.
That's what should be done. Less lobbyist and bussiness controlling what Congress votes. Instead patterning with the Givernent to help ease the cost among U.S. citizens.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
The GOP is in essence against all programs that do not help big money donors and provide relief for the weakest and most vulnerable members of society, so yes; it is on the chopping block. The "freedom caucus" (enslavement of the 99% caucus) believe everything should be eliminated right away while Paul Ryan has a more gradual approach to his goal of elimination of all public safety nets and public services that help the 99%. So its just a question of tactics, the goals are the same.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As someone who delivered fuel to LIHEAP customers I would suggest there is better ways to provide assistance. This program is not as exploitable as most becsue the payment goes directly to the fuel provider who can apply it as credit or to outstanding balances. However it's still open to exploitation specifically if the fuel type is oil. One can get the oil, use it in their diesel vehicle, tractor or even sell it while using cheaper fuels for heat.

In the business I was in most of the customers were homeowners and that money would have been better spent upgrading windows, insulation or whatever. It's somewhat pointless to be using taxpayer funds to heat a house that is a sieve when upgrades to house are more cost effective.
Winterization and insulation upgrades are included in the LIHEAP program.

It would be a major issue if the program were cut-Millions rely on it in the Winter-especially the elderly surviving on $700/Month SSI- and gas/electric companies now mail out LIHEAP applications to all their customers. I'd think you'd see heavy opposition from the energy companies and providers themselves-probably more than the recipients.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow, so you're saying we've eradicated poverty? Right on!

It will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies