Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Well, at least you're admitting that Obama did fight ISIS terrorists!

By the way, I don't think any bombs are good bombs.
Except when they save YOUR life, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
First it was 36 dead ISIS, then 98 and now nobody died according to ISIS. My question is why not send a recon team to inspect the impact up close and bring back close up video footage.
Ok, so let's begin with the basics:
  1. You mostly drop ordnance on the enemy.
  2. Enemies tend to hang out in territory they control. The technical term is "enemy-controlled territory".
  3. Once you've dropped your ordnance, you haven't in fact gained control of the territory. (You may want to re-read that. Many, many very senior American politicians do not appear to understand this.)
  4. Also, once you've dropped ordnance on people, the survivors tend to get very, very angry. (You may want to re-read that one also. Many US policymakers appear to think that if enough bombs are dropped, eventually the survivors will start liking the US.)
  5. These now-angry enemies will be very likely to take their anger out on the "recon team".
  6. And that is why it's hard to get precise bombing casualty figures.

Quote:
I would have a team ready the moment the bomb went off.
I have no doubt you would.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 04-17-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The USA could wipe out ISIS in a single day if it so desired.
That's just stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You mean that you don't have an answer. What victory did we achieve in Syria, Yemen, Libya, or the Obama ramped up war in Afghanistan beyond a lot of dead?

Obama bombed Arabs in 7 different countries. What did achieve?

Please tell us.
Do you know what Abu Graib, Baquba, Ramadi, Tikrit, Falluja and now most of Mosul have in common?

They used to be held by ISIS. But then someone used air power intelligently - taking out ISIL's tanks, artillery, even trucks. Because while a successful ISIS has a near-infinite supply of angry young men with AK-47s, they have a much harder time replacing tanks and artillery.

And once the Iraqi army found that they couldn't expect US ground forces to extricate them every time they got in trouble, why they became proficient and professional and effective.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling you said the same thing about Soviet Union, or the communist insurgencies in central America. At the time, they seemed to last forever. Where are they now?
As you seem to concede, they were not wiped out in a single day.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:20 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Except when they save YOUR life, right?
You are taking my words out of context. If I said I hate going to the dentist, would it mean I don't think sometimes it is necessary?

Who in the world likes war? Oh, I forgot.

[youtube]FMArIc5Hn_g[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMArIc5Hn_g[/url]

Old 03-22-2020, 03:43 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:

Why doesn't the military send a recon team to film moab aftermath?
I think we are all aware of what the result will be, although if your not then take a look at the RAF Fauld explosion.

RAF Fauld in England was an underground bomb storage facility until someone decided to removr a detonator from a live bomb using a brass chisel resulting in nerarly 4,000 tons of explosives going up, and one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history. Indeed what was once a hill become a massive crater, and remains so today.

By contrast the MOAB is equivalent to 11 tons of TNT.

RAF Fauld explosion - Wikipedia

Largest artificial non-nuclear explosions - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-22-2020 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies