Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

First it was 36 dead ISIS, then 98 and now nobody died according to ISIS. My question is why not send a recon team to inspect the impact up close and bring back close up video footage. I would have a team ready the moment the bomb went off. Frankly, I don't trust casualty figures if you don't have people on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Makes sense to me. Maybe we can never know for certain. However, I have a question. There were many air strikes throughout the Obama administration, even as late as January of this year. In one of the January attacks 80 militants were reported killed, but we never heard much about them. However, it seems that everything that happens in this administration is headline news.

Anyway, two B-52 bombers dropping 100 bombs killed a lot of ISIS militants in caves, so I'm wondering why we just used the MOAB.

[url]https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/19/two-attacks-target-extremists-obamas-last-days/96791918/[/url]

"Asked why the B-2 was used when the military has other warplanes in the region, Cook replied that it was the choice of commanders in the field.

Carter told reporters that ISIL had formed "little nests" from Libya to Afghanistan and needs to be struck "everywhere they show up."

Old 04-16-2017, 08:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Anyway, two B-52 bombers dropping 100 bombs killed a lot of ISIS militants in caves, so I'm wondering why we just used the MOAB.
We can't have "carpet bombing" now, can we? I think somebody was just tickled to death to drop of these toys and see what happens. One B-52 can carry up to 70,000 lbs of munitions. That is 3+ moabs.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:08 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
You guys are missing the point.

This bomb was dropped to send a message to NK. It doesn't matter how many people were killed, the bomb is big, and dropped on say, a nuke development site, or maybe dropped on Kim Jong-un himself, this sends quite a message.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You guys are missing the point.

This bomb was dropped to send a message to NK. It doesn't matter how many people were killed, the bomb is big, and dropped on say, a nuke development site, could be quite effective.
I doubt any message we send to Kim Jong-un is going to have much effect. The man had his own brother killed! Do you think he didn't know we had that capability? After all, we have nuclear weapons too.

What is important, however, is to get Russia and China to impose heavy sanctions on North Korea. Maybe that will have a greater impact.

However, IMHO our new president's chest beating has created a lot of the current tensions. There are 20 million people in South Korea who are probably very worried at this point.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:18 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
It's easy. Just bomb somewhere and then go back the next dY to interview everyone.

It's easy I say...

Old 04-16-2017, 08:42 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
I doubt any message we send to Kim Jong-un is going to have much effect. The man had his own brother killed! Do you think he didn't know we had that capability? After all, we have nuclear weapons too.

What is important, however, is to get Russia and China to impose heavy sanctions on North Korea. Maybe that will have a greater impact.

However, IMHO our new president's chest beating has created a lot of the current tensions. There are 20 million people in South Korea who are probably very worried at this point.
The only message that will compute with Kim Jong-un is a threat to his own life. He knows the US isn't going to launch nukes at him, but large conventional bombs could be an option on the table.

I like how you are blaming Trump from a decades old problem that has been brewing long before Trump got into office.

NK has been developing missiles, and nukes for a long time, none of the previous presidents dealt with the problem, now that inaction has lead us here, and the situation is coming to a head.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:44 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Do you think he didn't know we had that capability? After all, we have nuclear weapons too.
But one thing you may be forgetting is that previous administrations would not let the military call the shots. They were handcuffed by a president who was always more worried about public opinion and political correctness than best military strategy. That means that up until now foreign leaders had no reason to believe we would use weapons such as the MOAB. I believe a message has now been sent that things have changed.

You have to admit, if we had used a few dozen bunker-buster bombs to inflict the damage to these caves and tunnels instead of the MOAB, it is unlikely we or the terrorists would still be talking about it.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 PM

Baloney. There's a good reason the Founding Fathers gave Congress the power to declare war.

"Even when there is a necessity of military power, within the land,...a wise and prudent people will always have a watchful & jealous eye over it."
-- Samuel Adams

Old 04-16-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I like how you are blaming Trump from a decades old problem that has been brewing long before Trump got into office.
When did I do that? If I said Trump is the reason there is tension between the U.S. and North Korea, that would be stupid, and I'm not stupid. Even someone who is clueless probably watched M*A*S*H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies