Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,984,913 times

Advertisements

Not to get all conspiracy theory-ish, but this seems odd that both of these things happened today, no?

Power Problems Disrupt Service On Several Subway Lines « CBS New York
Quote:
Hundreds of riders were packed inside a D train when it got stuck in a tunnel just short of the subway stop at Seventh Avenue and 53rd Street after the signals lost power around 7:30 a.m
PG&E Substation Fire Triggers Massive San Francisco Power Outage « CBS San Francisco
Quote:
Nearly 100,000 customers were without power in the city at the height of the outage. California Pacific Medical Center was on backup power and had been forced to shut down its operating rooms.
North Korea? China? Russia? 400 lb kid in his parents basement? I'm surprised there isn't a bigger news story connecting these two incidents. Seems like quite the coincidence to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 01:48 PM

17,013 posts, read 12,605,196 times
Its Obamas fault.

No not really. Just wanted to be the first to say it.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Its Obamas fault.

No not really. Just wanted to be the first to say it.
Yeah, seems the news is too busy trying to figure out what Trump did/didn't accomplish in his 1st 100 days instead of investigating actual news that could be tied to politics and world issues.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
If I had $1 for every time I got stuck on a NY subway, I could buy you a nice dinner.

NY attributes it to a power outage.

SF's problem was due to a fire which began more than an hour before the NY situation, ET.

I am inclined to think coinkadink.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:10 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,810,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If I had $1 for every time I got stuck on a NY subway, I could buy you a nice dinner.

SF's problem was due to a fire which began more than an hour before the NY situation, ET.

NY issue hit several lines, though.

Our transportation has been a wreck lately. There was a broken track near Penn that screwed up all the LIRR, NJ Transit, and Amtrak for weeks.

Luckily nothing more than a major inconvenience from what I've heard - no one hurt.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Sure, anything is possible, could be a coincidence, but its certainly worth a bit closer of a look.

A power outage and fire are definitely possible results of infrastructure hacks. Its funny how having two of the countries largest cities being hit with morning rush hour power issues/fires literally doesn't get one word, but Jeff Sessions calling Hawaii "an island in the Pacific" has had easily 3-4 hours of coverage.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,793 times
Pretty crazy how this happened in 2 huge cities on the same day. Funny thing is there is suppose to be something called Gothem Shield(who comes up with these crazy names lol), a training exercise for a mega power outage do to terrorism or an attack by North Korea/Russia etc.

I always hear how the USA infrastructure sucks and is outdated, etc etc. Is this really true? I mean for those who lived in other modern nations, what do you think? I only lived in the USA but I have traveled to other modern nations, the infrastructure all look newer, but I don't know if they are more reliable. Also we are such as huge nation, it is kind of unfair to compare us to lets say, the UK or South Korea. We probably have a much higher proportion of land to people ratio so our costs are naturally higher, I think.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:56 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,513,154 times
RUSSIA! PUTIN! EMPs!!!!!!!! PANIC!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 03:05 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
NYC has a mostly underground rail transit system that is over a century old and suffers from decades of deferred maintenance. Railroads wear out and do not heal themselves. The NY system, along with the rest built in the late 1800s (!) need extensive repair. There is not enough money in the local service area to accomplish these repairs. So breakdowns are likely to continue.

The much newer San Francisco transit system apparently suffered a "single point failure" in the power supply. This is created when the designers of the power system do not provide proper interconnection and redundancy to be able to feed any area if a single transformer is taken out of service. The reason for this is simple. The interconnections and redundancies cost more during the initial capitalization and are even more expensive to create after the system is built.

Both of these are examples of the old adage - the cheapskates spend the most.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
NYC has a mostly underground rail transit system that is over a century old and suffers from decades of deferred maintenance. Railroads wear out and do not heal themselves. The NY system, along with the rest built in the late 1800s (!) need extensive repair. There is not enough money in the local service area to accomplish these repairs. So breakdowns are likely to continue.

The much newer San Francisco transit system apparently suffered a "single point failure" in the power supply. This is created when the designers of the power system do not provide proper interconnection and redundancy to be able to feed any area if a single transformer is taken out of service. The reason for this is simple. The interconnections and redundancies cost more during the initial capitalization and are even more expensive to create after the system is built.

Both of these are examples of the old adage - the cheapskates spend the most.
Both are also indications that both systems are vulnerable to simple hacking and physical methods of being attacked. Our infrastructure is in pretty bad shape no matter how you cut it, and lots of bad actors are well aware of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies