Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:51 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's how I am. I have my Latin habits and ways, but I blend in the ways that works with American society in general. I speak Spanish when I want, but I also speak English fluently. In fact, my English is better than my Spanish these days. So I speak Spanish to avoid further deterioration. That's not me refusing to assimilate. I think there's also very different ideas on what it means to be American. I also think it's fool hardy to think you can be 100% American like both sides of your family have been here for 5 generations and not be perceived as strange or overcompensating.
Yeah, having a common language is not a bad thing.

When groups can't communicate with each other through a common language, it breeds distrust and prejudices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:04 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And so have Puerto Ricans who were born and raised stateside. They all do, eventually. You just have very short term thinking individuals that can't see past their own generation and think nobody is assimilating

Some are and some are not. It's just a fact.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Lol, yeah, that is how it works. Cultures evolve with bits from other cultures. This has happened everywhere throughout history. Each culture is made up of flavors from different cultures.

America has no culture? The ideas and ideals, also social habits, art, music, film, fashion, food, dialect, folklore, etc. Many of these parts of American culture have spread to other nations.

Yes, "out of many, "ONE". Not out many," MANY". Some people can't seem to grasp that simple concept of assimilation and having an identifying culture.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Americans have little to no culture of their own, IMHO. Most of our culture is derived from other cultures brought here through immigration and slavery.
^ this. I couldn't have said it better!

Most people who say otherwise are just upset that non-Hispanic Whites don't make up 90% of the population anymore.

I'll finish with a quote from Ronald Reagan that sums up my vision of America (and his too):
Quote:
I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.
That's the America I want.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
At this point, neither.

Immigrants that come to this country don't even adhere to the 'ideal' concept and principles of true multiculturalism.

Hell, even people of color native born to this country don't either (and I'm one of them).

'Multiculturalism' these days is all about each race/ethnicity out for their own. Every group thinks their group is wronged or slighted. Every group wants to live among their own kind and interact only with each other. There is no desire to work with other groups, just a general sense of mistrust and hostility. There is certainly no sense of national unity or pride regardless of race, color, nationality, or creed.

Everyone out for their own.

The multiculturalism experiment is dead, and should not be encouraged any more than it has in the U.S., since no one can ever get their heads out of their rear ends and do it the right way.

Well put!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:49 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Do Americans have no "identifying culture" in your view?
Americas culture is ripping off other peoples culture. We dont technically have one.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvatron210 View Post
americas culture is ripping off other peoples culture. We dont technically have one.

bs!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:58 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
USA is a country for free thinkers & we encourage open dialog. So stay away if you are a hyper sensitive person who gets hurt when people disagree with you. Keep your belief system to yourself. If you cannot participate in our traditions, politely decline but dont expect us to bend backwards & become your doormats. Some self-loathing idiots will gladly oblige because they have low self esteem & want you to punish them. But a proud American will expect you to adapt to our value system which is based on tolerance & equality for everyone, no matter whats your race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

We are not perfect & neither are you. If you bring up our past about our ancestors invading this country, we will bring up the bloody wars fought by your ancestors in your country of origin. Accept that our forefathers lived in a different time where wars, cruelty, slavery were a way of life & it is unfair to make us feel guilty about the past.

Call it multiculturism or melting pot or whatever label you want. If you believe in human rights, democracy & equality, you are most welcome but if you reject our values & want to segregate yourself, then you are better off staying away from usa. Go to Europe for special treatment & more privileges than the natives. They dont love their country like we do so they will gladly adapt themselves to your needs & try to win you over with unconditional love & affection.
Wait, so its not fair to make you feel guilty, ok, like it was fair to enslave a race of people, have their women sexually assualted and to have these people beat and do free labor? Yeah, dont talk about fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Yeah, having a common language is not a bad thing.

When groups can't communicate with each other through a common language, it breeds distrust and prejudices.
Thais THEIR insecurity. When somebody feels like someone is talking about them in another language, thats just their paranoia talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
bs!
Lol, oh old gory, prove thats its not.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:58 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
One's own culture is difficult to define because it is comprised of those things that come naturally to us. Things that don't seem like culture at all, they just seem normal.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
I'll go with Melting pot, but lets leave muslims out of the pot. Cultural Diversity is another "feel good" liberal catch phrase that has no real substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies