Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:15 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Good-bye. Have a nice life. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.
pknopp asked for an alternative. I jokingly replied Canada knowing that was not the sort of polical alternative pknopp had in mind.

Canada is an alternative, of course, for anyone to consider, but I'm not going anywhere. Don't you worry none.

Maybe you can bring it down just a nacho or two and/or mind your own arse...

Possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 10:16 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
By now its apparent to most folks that president Trump has some issues. Public Policy Polling (PPP) just released some new results that should make those on the right realize that whats occurring in this presidency is not normal.

Source:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...onal_33017.pdf

Some highlights:
61% think he should release his taxes
60% think Russia wanted him to win
44% think members of his team worked with Russia
53% trust Obama more then Trump

44% support impeaching Trump vs 45% who oppose
11% are unsure.

If the candidate for president next time were Trump vs Sanders who would you vote for?52% Sanders, 41% Trump, 7% unsure. Similar question with Biden has 54% going for Biden. Similar question with Warren has 48% going for Warren vs 43% Trump.

This presidency is not going well. This is not even remotely normal.
Love it

Old 04-24-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Trump was the worst of all the Republican candidates but he was still better than any Democrat due to one thing; the United States Supreme Court. One more liberal judge and the 2nd amendment would have been history and the First Amendment would have been severely harmed.
Hardly a day goes by after reading comments like this one that I'm not reminded of this quote...

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Old 04-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
But for some reason you believed "Yes We Can" what ever that means.
"Yes we can" was a campaign slogan like any other. Something that fits on a bumper sticker, and for Obama supporters, it was a hope that positive things can actually be accomplished, even in Congress, like getting us out of Iraq, or at least stopping the loss of American lives. At war's "end" in 2011, well over 4,000 Americans killed. Like the ACA, also a major goal of Obama's and those who supported that sort of complete overhaul of our health care system, also accomplished.

Let's face it, shall we? If you are inclined toward the direction that Obama pointed generally speaking, you are more inclined to feel favorably about what WAS accomplished in these respects regardless the failings and imperfections. Additionally, you are not inclined to feel favorably or support Trump in these regards that point in the opposite direction.

All these comments in all these threads making an attempt to argue facts, reason or logic (or pretending to) simply do not make sense to people who don't share the same political ideology. Much like a scientist trying to "make sense" to a Creationist and vice versa. You simply cannot make sense to someone who does not share the same core fundamental beliefs on which all the rest follows.

Right?

I mean we're not likely to agree about the rest, but about this simple reality, who can't agree?!?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"Yes we can" was a campaign slogan like any other. Something that fits on a bumper sticker, and for Obama supporters, it was a hope that positive things can actually be accomplished, even in Congress, like getting us out of Iraq, or at least stopping the loss of American lives. At war's "end" in 2011, well over 4,000 Americans killed. Like the ACA, also a major goal of Obama's and those who supported that sort of complete overhaul of our health care system, also accomplished.

Let's face it, shall we? If you are inclined toward the direction that Obama pointed generally speaking, you are more inclined to feel favorably about what WAS accomplished in these respects regardless the failings and imperfections. Additionally, you are not inclined to feel favorably or support Trump in these regards that point in the opposite direction.
I supported much of what Candidate Obama promised. I supported very, very little of what he actually did as president.

Quote:
All these comments in all these threads making an attempt to argue facts, reason or logic (or pretending to) simply do not make sense to people who don't share the same political ideology. Much like a scientist trying to "make sense" to a Creationist and vice versa. You simply cannot make sense to someone who does not share the same core fundamental beliefs on which all the rest follows.

Right?

I mean we're not likely to agree about the rest, but about this simple reality, who can't agree?!?
Not doing what you promised is not doing what you promised. I'm not sure how one disagree's with this. (though I have seen people try)

Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
But for some reason you believed "Yes We Can" what ever that means.
I took a shot at explaining in my prior comment based on what Obama campaigned to accomplish more specifically. Now maybe you can do the same in terms of explaining "Make America Great Again." Whatever that means...

I keep asking, but I get the spooky feeling that Trump supporters are a little afraid to be openly specific about what that means in specific terms. As I sign off, I'll stay optimistic maybe the answer will be here in this thread when I return tomorrow. Until then, a good day to all that I'm sure will later include listening to Obama on his first day back in the public eye today in Chicago.

Yes! The black foreign-born Muslim communist POTUS who is out to ruin America is back!

And no doubt Trump will have much more to tweet madly about real soon...

Old 04-24-2017, 10:41 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
REality -- the majority that voted for him say they are happy with Trump's performance.

The rest of the world -- aren't impressed.

End of story.

He won the election by 3 million less votes than the other candidate.
That is still true.

He rules today with more people hating than liking. It is what it is.

We can analyze, discuss, debate...but it is what it is.

All he has to do now is prove all those people wrong.

That's all.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
And no matter how you look at it.

With Trump as President -- a Republican stronghold in Georgia -- where the Republican candidate won by 20 pts. in November, is at risk of being lost to a Democrat. Probably won't be - but the race shouldn't even be close if Trump was all the Republican supporters say he is.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I supported much of what Candidate Obama promised. I supported very, very little of what he actually did as president.

Not doing what you promised is not doing what you promised. I'm not sure how one disagree's with this. (though I have seen people try)
I provided the specifics regarding a couple of Obama's signature accomplishments, though they may not meet with your absolute expectations just like they don't for most the rest of us. We need not go around yet again about those absolutes and/or gray areas in between.

My point about what we all CAN agree about is that when people don't share the same goal(s), the different strategies or accomplishments or strides toward those goals will also never be agreed upon, as either good or bad, better or worse, so why bother attempting to explain to a Trump supporter that Obama was NOT out to ruin America. Or why bother convincing an Obama supporter that the ACA is an absolute disaster?

Why, unless you have lots of time to waste and nothing better to do than waste it?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I provided the specifics regarding a couple of Obama's signature accomplishments, though they may not meet with your absolute expectations just like they don't for most the rest of us. We need not go around yet again about those absolutes and/or gray areas in between.
The ACA was nothing short of a give away to the insurance companies and directly lead to the (D)'s losing the House and Senate. If Obama had been the president he promised to be this does not happen and we do not have Trump. No, I do not have to reluctantly support that.

Quote:
My point about what we all CAN agree about is that when people don't share the same goal(s), the different strategies or accomplishments or strides toward those goals will also never be agreed upon, as either good or bad, better or worse, so why bother attempting to explain to a Trump supporter that Obama was NOT out to ruin America. Or why bother convincing an Obama supporter that the ACA is an absolute disaster?
Because it mostly is.

Quote:
Why, unless you have lots of time to waste and nothing better to do than waste it?
In the faint hope that people will learn a lesson. It doesn't seem the majority will, even though some are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies